Added a 5.9 ZJ sound bar to my wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Added a 5.9 ZJ sound bar to my wagoneer

Post by candymancan »

I found this 5.9 ZJ in the JY maybe 2-3 years ago and took the sound bar among other things to sell on ebay, but i never put the bar on ebay and instead it just ended up in storage. Im not sure if this has been done before. But i decided to put it on my wagoneer. I dont really like the speaker setup as the speakers in the very rear you cant hear very well.. specially with the cargo cover and if you have alot of stuff in the back blocking the speakers.

The sound bar is from a 5.9 ZJ, so it has tweaters as well but i havent wired them up yet. I need to get an AMP and have someone wire that up to the Jeep but for now this works. I ripped the stapled headliner fabric off and pulled all the staples out the owner of that JY jeep put in. Scrubbed it clean and put on a black headliner fabric. I decided not to use the Vinyl i used as my headliner simply because the vinyl would be too hard to glue properly for me on this peice as it has alot of curvs and weird angles on it. I bought 4 new Pionear speakers as the 2 original were completetly blown, and 1 of my rear speakers were blown as well. Installed nicely.

Luckily the wagoneer has a support for the roof running along side to side and in the middle is where the trunk area light screws into. So i didnt have to weld or make any brackets. Or even drill a hole into the support as both sides had a hole big enough for a bolt. I ran the wiring split from the rear speakers along the rear pillar behind the vinyl trim on the quarter panel window. Looks great and sounds sooo much better now. I dont need the trunk light as i have a bright LED bar light on the center strip that holds the two headliners together. Lights up my car brighter then even a brand new vehicle. Plus i think i could have screwd the light on top of the sound bar, but it might look wierd and also the light bulbs get very very hot and i dont want it against the fabric and start a fire

God i hate that photobucket basically screwed the entire internet.. its hard to find a good img uploader

Follow this link and youll see all the pics

Last edited by candymancan on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Cassidy

Re: Added a 5.9 ZJ sound bar to my wagoneer

Post by Cassidy »

candymancan wrote:I found this 5.9 ZJ in the JY maybe 2-3 years ago and took the sound bar among other things to sell on ebay, but i never put the bar on ebay and instead it just ended up in storage. Im not sure if this has been done before. But i decided to put it on my wagoneer. I dont really like the speaker setup as the speakers in the very rear you cant hear very well.. specially with the cargo cover and if you have alot of stuff in the back blocking the speakers.

The sound bar is from a 5.9 ZJ, so it has tweaters as well but i havent wired them up yet. I need to get an AMP and have someone wire that up to the Jeep but for now this works. I ripped the stapled headliner fabric off and pulled all the staples out the owner of that JY jeep put in. Scrubbed it clean and put on a black headliner fabric. I decided not to use the Vinyl i used as my headliner simply because the vinyl would be too hard to glue properly for me on this peice as it has alot of curvs and weird angles on it. I bought 4 new Pionear speakers as the 2 original were completetly blown, and 1 of my rear speakers were blown as well. Installed nicely.

Luckily the wagoneer has a support for the roof running along side to side and in the middle is where the trunk area light screws into. So i didnt have to weld or make any brackets. Or even drill a hole into the support as both sides had a hole big enough for a bolt. I ran the wiring split from the rear speakers along the rear pillar behind the vinyl trim on the quarter panel window. Looks great and sounds sooo much better now. I dont need the trunk light as i have a bright LED bar light on the center strip that holds the two headliners together. Lights up my car brighter then even a brand new vehicle. Plus i think i could have screwd the light on top of the sound bar, but it might look wierd and also the light bulbs get very very hot and i dont want it against the fabric and start a fire

God i hate that photobucket basically screwed the entire internet.. its hard to find a good img uploader

Follow this link and youll see all the pics

http://imgur.com/a/epfPw
That's awesome I need to go find one myself.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

FYI just add a .jpg after the link and the pic will show up

As for sound bar in a wagoneer... that might solve me issue with muffled sound after installing a board above the wheel wells.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

it isnt one pic its 4 pics. the site i used puts them all into an album with 1 link.

it wont let me link them seperatly.. just clci k the link to see the album

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Looks great from what i can see. How much difference is there between the width of the roof and the length of the sound bar?
I pulled a few out of late model XJ's a few years ago with the idea of a similar application. They are notably shorter than than the width of the wagoneer, so I planned to cut in half and add fiberglass to get to right length.

5.9 ZJ's are pretty hard to find, especially in junk yards. Did you grab the hood vents? Those are pretty popular and can be sold on fleebay if you don't want to use them yourself.. The seats in my old 97 Orvis edition were some of the most comfortable I have ever had, and also make a pretty nice swap into our rigs.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Its only like 1 inch extra on both sides. It really isnt that much TBH, if it was an inch or two longer it would be pushing it and start to touch the metal sleeve the headliner sits in. I cant vouch for the XJ sound bar as its a different bar. Doesnt have tweaters like the ZJ one, and its shaped differently too. XJ is also not as wide as the ZJ is. The only issue with the soundbar is my headliner is warped badly in the back. So the sound bar isnt "100% flat with the board. Mounting this bar though did actually push my warped board up more so it isnt so warped looking lol. If the XJ is that much shorter then i can see you doing that, but the ZJ one covers the entire length. The ZJ one is shaped at an angle too, the XJ one i think is flatter

I dont mind the warp at least i have a headliner, my FSJ didnt have one and i got lucky finding these boards in the JY, and glued a maroonish vinyl on them. I would have liked to use the vinyl on the soundbar but i wasnt too confident in my abilities to mold it to the board without it looking bad, Thats why i used a black headliner fabric.. I dont think the black looks bad. I mean my waggy is black and red inside anyway

I'll take more detailed pics on how i mounted this

As for the 5.9ZJ, yea i own a 5.9 ZJ, have for 7 years, my waggy ive only had for 1 1/2 years. I go to a lot of salvage yards monthly (just came from one today) I have found 3 Wagoneers in a year. and 5.9 ZJ's ive only found 2 in the last 3-4 years. I did get the vents yes, well 1 the other was shattered from it rolling over. I took the sound bar to sell, i took the amplifier as 5.9 ZJ's had 180A amps vs i think the 100 amp ones. I used it for my 5.9 as the previous owner cut it out and wired the wires together so i had 10 speakers with no amp and 0 base. Stock amp brought the nice sound back. I also took the 2 electric fan switchs on the radiator hoses and used them for mine as my low speed switch went bad... "sadly" this one went bad 6 months ago and i need another one and they dont have an aftermarket for them it sucks. I took the electric fan as well and sold it for $250 in 2 days lol.

I took the leather shifter handles and sold them too, the 5.9 spare tire cover sadly wasnt there.. they sell for a lot and are 5.9 specific. I should have taken the door panels and put them in my moms 4.0. The 150A alternator was gone and it had a 136. I know what parts to grab on these 5.9's they sell for a ton :D. I hope one day i find another 5.9 would be nice.

Today in the JY i scored this. Not my pic but its the same one (the other part opens too). These are from a 91-96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. They bolt right up the existing center arm rest mount on our FSJ's. The only thing is it wont lift up and stay up itll fall back but i plan to fix that. I HATE HAVING NO CUP HOLDER AND STORAGE...

Thats my biggest complaint on the wagoneers.. Youd figure they would have added a cup holder at least specially for the ones that sold for 25-35k in the later years.. If buick can have an awsome center arm rest like this why cant Jeep lol

Last edited by candymancan on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

v8vendetta

Post by v8vendetta »

on imgur right click on the image, select copy image address, and paste into the forum. Should link each one individually

1976 Jeep J-20
401 V8 w/ CRT HEI conversion
Blown TH-400
--------------------------------------
1989 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Thanks, i was getting frustrated with that. I'll edit my first post.

Ok fixed you can delete the links in your post