FSJ repair and maintainence wrenchathon, continued...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
csuengr

FSJ repair and maintainence wrenchathon, continued...

Post by csuengr »

My 77' Cherokee is being used as a daily driver, so it is getting pushed kinda hard with two hour blasts down the interstate and ten minute commutes. I already reworked my roof rack lights so I can fit it in the garage, which will help this winter, but there were some nagging issues that needed to be taken care of.

Leaking heater core.
Cracked alternator bracket.
Gas tank fill vent that didn't vent.
Bad fan clutch.

Replacing the heater core isn't that hard. Just have to drop the AC unit to access two nuts. The heater core had a pretty bad leak, and when I went to twist off the smaller hose, the entire nipple came out of the core. Yeah Mexican craftsmanship. But new heater core in.

Took off the alternator bracket (Ford 5.0 engine here), welded up the crack, put back on, with the addition of a new radiator. I had set my air compressor (York) up on the fender, since it is connected to the alternator bracket and had to be removed. Was working on the inside finishing up getting the AC unit installed when I heard a loud thunk followed by trickling water. I had jostled the Jeep enough to cause the compressor to fall and put a hole in the radiator. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Since I am running a full size Bronco gas tank, I had to get creative connecting the vent line. But in my awe inspiring creativity, I placed the vent hose that goes to the wheel well in a position such that it went down hill from the tank, then up. That doesn't work. So I moved it. The fun part was how do I cut the steel vent line without creating sparks, and which can't be pulled out. Solution, my dad has that Dremel thingy that oscillates back and forth, and you can get metal cutting blades. Tube cut, no sparks, no ball of fire.

Along the lines of Just Empty Every Pocket, I had purchased a heavy duty, lifetime warranty, fan clutch, only to have it go out in a year. Couldn't remember where I bought it, so had to purchase a new one.
Last edited by csuengr on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

will e

Re: FSJ repair and maintainence wrenchathon

Post by will e »

Still it's nice to get some things knocked off the list. I like working on my jeep but only when it is upgrades and improvements. Swapping out a heater core is a nice distraction from life, and it feels good when you are done, but it's not the same as, say, adding a new ham radio. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

csuengr wrote:My 77' Cherokee is being used as a daily driver, so it is getting pushed kinda hard with two hour blasts down the interstate and ten minute commutes. I already reworked my roof rack lights so I can fit it in the garage, which will help this winter, but there were some nagging issues that needed to be taken care of.

Leaking heater core.
Cracked alternator bracket.
Gas tank fill vent that didn't vent.
Bad fan clutch.

Replacing the heater core isn't that hard. Just have to drop the AC unit to access two nuts. The heater core had a pretty bad leak, and when I went to twist off the smaller hose, the entire nipple came out of the core. Yeah Mexican craftsmanship. But new heater core in.

Took off the alternator bracket (Ford 5.0 engine here), welded up the crack, put back on, with the addition of a new radiator. I had set my air compressor (York) up on the fender, since it is connected to the alternator bracket and had to be removed. Was working on the inside finishing up getting the AC unit installed when I heard a loud thunk followed by trickling water. I had jostled the Jeep enough to cause the compressor to fall and put a hole in the radiator. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Since I am running a full size Bronco gas tank, I had to get creative connecting the vent line. But in my awe inspiring creativity, I placed the vent hose that goes to the wheel well in a position such that it went down hill from the tank, then up. That doesn't work. So I moved it. The fun part was how do I cut the steel vent line without creating sparks, and which can't be pulled out. Solution, my dad has that Dremel thingy that oscillates back and forth, and you can get metal cutting blades. Tube cut, no sparks, no ball of fire.

Along the lines of Just Empty Every Pocket, I had purchased a heavy duty, lifetime warranty, fan clutch, only to have it go out in a year. Couldn't remember where I bought it, so had to purchase a new one.
I know I will catch some flack for this but I buy all my parts at autozone for this reason. Most of it is lifetime warranty and the record is in the computer if you lose the receipt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

I think the hardest part of all of that is remembering what part you need if it is not stock. I am trying to stay original for that reason.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

What's so hard about remembering it's a Bronco short block engine and accessories with an Explorer valve train, top end and fuel system, Saginaw power steering pump and fan from a S10 Blazer. 8-) The radiator is stock with no mods.

az chip

Post by az chip »

csuengr wrote:What's so hard about remembering it's a Bronco short block engine and accessories with an Explorer valve train, top end and fuel system, Saginaw power steering pump and fan from a S10 Blazer. 8-) The radiator is stock with no mods.
:mrgreen: :funnypost:
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Yeah, Autozone still thinks I own an 1981 wagoneer...
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

will e wrote:Yeah, Autozone still thinks I own an 1981 wagoneer...
I looked at the list of vehicles that pulls up at autozone and there is about eight of them. None of which is a 77' Cherokee.

Topic author
csuengr

Re: FSJ repair and maintainence wrenchathon, continued...

Post by csuengr »

So...after getting everything back together yesterday, my fuel gauge was not reading. It had done this before, but self fixed. So went to the gas station to test the new vent hose routing, which works, so no more taking 15 minutes to fill, and drove around hoping the gauge would start reading. No such luck, so the gas tank was dropped. The issue is an intermittent connection in the connector that connects to the top of the fuel pump/level sender housing. A while ago I replaced the connector, which was broken, with a Chinese knockoff as Ford doesn't sell them anymore (Ford gas tank, in case you are wondering) and it doesn't fit as well as the original Ford part. Imagine that. So I got a few inches of foam rubber and set it on top of the connector and put the tank back in, hoping the foam rubber, squished between the body and connector, will keep the connector on better.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

problem with autozone and advanced auto padts is none of their locations are linked when it comes to warrenties.

so if you go to one and buy something.. then go to another one they cant pull up your warrenty.

also advanced auto parts now has a third party company that keeps track oof your refurns.. So if you dont habe a receipt ( but it is in the computer) if you do a return luke that 3 times then they flag you and block you from being able to use your lifetime warrenty.

so far ive been BEEPED up the asss 3 times now because i didnt have my receipt.. but the computer showed my purchase and showed my warrenty... but that 3rd party company blocked the return because i had no physical receipt.

tbh im suprized they havent had a class action lawsuit yet for yhis. Also advanced auto parts.. their computers DELETE your purchases from the computers after a year or so. even if you have lifetime warrenties.

advanved auto parts is a scum bag company
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

csuengr wrote:
will e wrote:Yeah, Autozone still thinks I own an 1981 wagoneer...
I looked at the list of vehicles that pulls up at autozone and there is about eight of them. None of which is a 77' Cherokee.
I get quite a few, as well. Front axle from a 91.5 Dodge 1-ton, rear axle from an 87 Chevy 1 ton dually, etc...

We do drive Just Everyone Else's Parts.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Went home yesterday afternoon and found a large puddle of coolant on the floor. My new heater is leaking, badly. So during lunch today I went to ACE to get a fitting so I could bypass the heater core. Went to twist the small hose off, and the whole nipple came off, again. I am really thinking about trying to get the original core fixed.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

csuengr wrote:Went home yesterday afternoon and found a large puddle of coolant on the floor. My new heater is leaking, badly. So during lunch today I went to ACE to get a fitting so I could bypass the heater core. Went to twist the small hose off, and the whole nipple came off, again. I am really thinking about trying to get the original core fixed.
What brand aftermarket heater core did you use? I have a Four Seasons one here but it's all aluminum instead of copper/brass like OEM.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed