Cargo cover always slides off the bracket by tailgate

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Cargo cover always slides off the bracket by tailgate

Post by candymancan »

I have a cargo cover i made myself using the poles from another grand wagoneer. Some of you may know this, basically i found one but it was melted completetly the vinyl. But the poles were fine. I fixed the spring mechanism on it. Found some matching vinyl and i unsheethed the old vinyl from the retractable pole that clips on the brackets behind the seat.

Basically its stiched to a little cardboard like shoelace and slides into the retractable pole. I managed to save that and had a friend sew the new vinyl with a machine and slid the lace back onto the pole. Then for the smaller pole we wrapped the vynal around it and stiched it into a circle just like factory did. However those little white end caps which were also fine btw.. are too short.. If the pole by the tailgate slides left or right slightly it will pop out of the brackets and proceed to roll itself back up.

Its freaking annoying. Is there anyway to fix this ? Those end caps are just too short and this is what is causing it to move left or right and slip off. Also i hate when you remove the thing to get to your cargo and it just unrolls.. its like nothing is there to stop it from doing that.. So i found matching color brackets "the ones by the tailgate" and screwd them into the body further back maybe 4 inches away from the roller this way i can remove the cover and put the ends in those brackets i screwed into.. but again because the end caps are so short its a chore to line them up perfectly... :banghead:
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

jsinajeep

Re: Cargo cover always slides off the bracket by tailgate

Post by jsinajeep »

Try making a couple of shims to put between the body and brackets

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Cargo cover always slides off the bracket by tailgate

Post by candymancan »