Not enough gasoline on board

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Renodemona

Re: Not enough gasoline on board

Post by Renodemona »

I carry a metal 5 gallon Jerry can full of go juice all the time on my swingout. You can still buy them but they are for "water" from amazon. They won't ship to California though. Just have to use it every once in a while before it goes bad. Usually every 4-5 months I just dump it in the main tank and refill it instead of gassing up.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have a 33 gallon Aero Tank in my 88 GW for almost 20 years and it often comes in handy.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I just toss a jeey can or two in the camper or on the roof, or.......oh my god, heaven forbid, inside the back of the jeep!!!!! ERMAHGERD! INTERNALLY CARRIED FUEL!

Lol, I don't do it often, but I seriously dont see how its such a big concern for a road trip. My cans seal up completely, no venting, no vapor.

Something I HAVE considered, however, is making some kind of mount for a jerry can under the jeep, where the spare tire goes. Some days I wish I hadnt thrown away my aux gas tank.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I don't know where the myth of exploding gas cans originated... the InterWebs weren't invented back then... maybe it was the movies or RoadRunner cartoons. I have seen gas cans dropped from heights, shot, smooshed, violently hit a tree when the "silly thing was in reverse"... and they have never a'sploded. Can it happen? Yeah. Often? Meeehhhh... maybe maybe not. I would think that if there was a serious problem with cans on the back of rigs, some gubb'ment yahoo would have written a law. I know that Canada has a law about rear mounted cans cannot be metal. Or at least some Providences do at any rate.

I saw a really cool video somewhere about a Toyota FJ Cruiser with a 12 gallon marine tank strapped on top with a pump wired to deliver fuel. I thought about that, but just went with 2 5s on top for now.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:I just toss a jeey can or two in the camper or on the roof, or.......oh my god, heaven forbid, inside the back of the jeep!!!!! ERMAHGERD! INTERNALLY CARRIED FUEL!

Lol, I don't do it often, but I seriously dont see how its such a big concern for a road trip. My cans seal up completely, no venting, no vapor.

Something I HAVE considered, however, is making some kind of mount for a jerry can under the jeep, where the spare tire goes. Some days I wish I hadnt thrown away my aux gas tank.

I do landscaping for work and i dont have a pickup i use my 5.9 Zj and a trailer and prior to owning a trailrr i used to put everything in the back including gasoline cans.. I have d rings in the ZJ factory, those so i can secure them. I actually would be more worried about gas in the back outside unprotected a small fender bender with a higher truck could puncture them.

The guy with the 10 gallons in the back.. Id probably weld a cage or some better protection for them at least a flat plate in front. Just too exposed. Always better to be safer.. Hell id feel safer with them inside.. lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe »

Yeah, that is definitely a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 Cherokee NT, 360, TH 400, Quadatrac

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

They aren't going to splode. They might get ruptured and if there's an ignition source there'll be a heck of a conflagration.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

My latest GW came to me with a NWMP aux tank installed. Sort of hate not being able to keep my spare tire under the truck, but loved being able to drive through stretches of road that have 150 miles between gas stations. I also have been driving for 25 years and have never needed my spare, but have run out of gas dozens of times.

The only two things that are a little weird is that some pumps don't like to pump gas into it (and I'm in Oregon so legally not allowed to pump my own gas, but usually step out and offer to hold the pump at a weird angle while the attendant can get to other cars). Would say about 2/3rds of the pumps have trouble pumping, haven't figured out the common denominator. Pretty sure it's cause by a Y right at the end of the filler neck.

The other thing is that the gas will gravity feed until siphon is broken, but I have a fuel pump between the tanks I can switch on in the cab to move the rest of the juice.

Overall, would recommend an aux tank in the spare tire spot.
1984 GW

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

wait oregon you cant pump your own gas.... haha well one less state to not move too.. Thats so weird.. i think new jersey is like that too.

Does anyone habe a writeuo or can make one on how they actually got an aux in their fsj.. How did you wire and setup a pump to move gas to the main tank ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I haven't done it yet but I plan to have a separate gas gauge for my aux tank with a switch I can flip to pump gas into the main tank.

Keep your eyes open in the junkyards and on Craigslist. There was a company in Idaho that made 25 gallon aux tanks for wagoneers. Trailblazer Products. I have one I'm going to install along with an Aero tanks 33 gallon main tank. If all goes well that will give me 700 miles of range in a pinch. 650 no problem.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.