Not enough gasoline on board

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Not enough gasoline on board

Post by ShagWagon »

Need more gas. 18 gallons isn't enough to get me to BFE where I wanna go around 200 miles + away from gas station.

Don't really want to store gas inside cab and looking for ideas.

Don't want to drill any unnecessary holes anywhere to install tailgate mount tire/rack kit.

I have original roof rack will it hold 2 Jerry cans or something? Doesn't seem like a good idea but maybe that rack is stronger than I think?

Anyone use a trailer hitch mount with success? There too seems like bad idea and could rip it off going through a steep pitch like a common gulley or ditch. But seems like good idea for longer trips if it's feasible.

Thanks
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

will e

Re: Not enough gasoline on board

Post by will e »

Mount the spare inside and use the space where the spare goes for a second tank.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Evil twin fab interior spare tire carrier. Second tank where the spare goes. Larger main tank from Aero Fuel tanks in California. But the last one will run you alot of money.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I have 2 plastic red 5 gallon "safety" fuel cans strapped to my original roof rack when I go out to the boonies. Yes, even if it's within 40 miles of a gas station, I still carry 'em. I also use the E-Z Siphon instead of the silly push locking nozzles that come with these new stoopid "cans". Yeah, yeah, I get it... you can't have a 5 gallon metal can with a simple vent on top anymore... they a'splode... they are known to the State of California to cause cancer... they are evil and will cause your kids to live in your basement forever...

Sorry... uh, where was I... oh yeah... I use the EZ Siphon everytime I need to get gas out of those things; ATV, mower, whatever. Do I look silly using it? Probably. Do I spill gas? Nope. I have seen some cool low profile tanks, but ... meh... 15 bucks from Sears and I'm good to go.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

deckroid wrote:they are evil and will cause your kids to live in your basement forever...
So that's where my parents went wrong with me!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

deckroid wrote:I have 2 plastic red 5 gallon "safety" fuel cans strapped to my original roof rack when I go out to the boonies. Yes, even if it's within 40 miles of a gas station, I still carry 'em. I also use the E-Z Siphon instead of the silly push locking nozzles that come with these new stoopid "cans". Yeah, yeah, I get it... you can't have a 5 gallon metal can with a simple vent on top anymore... they a'splode... they are known to the State of California to cause cancer... they are evil and will cause your kids to live in your basement forever...

Sorry... uh, where was I... oh yeah... I use the EZ Siphon everytime I need to get gas out of those things; ATV, mower, whatever. Do I look silly using it? Probably. Do I spill gas? Nope. I have seen some cool low profile tanks, but ... meh... 15 bucks from Sears and I'm good to go.
I'm the world's worst offender at running out of gas. To prove it I have a sad collection of random lil red plastic cans spanning probably 20 years and a handful of states. I bet I have had 30 of them at some point. Last one I bought (2 actually) was about a year ago when I ran out of gas driving down to the springs from Denver. Middle of no gas stations and I wasn't sure the 2.5 gallons would get me to the next one. Wife came and got me and I had to buy two (at the exorbitant gas station price) plus the gas. That was the final straw. I may be a slow learner and glutton for punishment but I swear I won't be caught without gas again. Some of you guys snagged some of my mil-spec fuel cans in Ouray. I now keep one in each of my vehicles filled to about 3/4 to deal with expansion. Honestly, they are the best for carrying fuel aside from an extra tank. Unfortunately they are getting hard to come buy thanks to the current regulations but if you can find em, scoop em up!

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: I now keep one in each of my vehicles filled to about 3/4 to deal with expansion.
That is a key point. 4.5 gallons is the max I will put in either one. I would love some mil-spec jerry cans, but holy hannah are they spendy. And forget the ones from Harbor Fright. (yeah, I spelled that correctly... remind me to tell you the time I used one of their floor jacks... or disc sander) They are cheap for a reason. The weld down the middle comes apart... personal "teaching point".
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Your jeep should have a larger tank than 18 gallons. I just put 18.269 gallons in my tank last fill up. I think mine might hold 24 gallons, but should be 20 for sure. The early coffin tanks only held 18 gallons.

I have the tire rack with the jerry can holder that I use for reserve. Usually I never touch it though.

I have been looking at the boat gas tanks for outboards. I think they might work on the roof rack just fine.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

will e

Post by will e »

My concern about putting them up on the roof is if I roll the darn thing. I have a spare fuel tank that goes where the spare should be. It will probably be the project for this year.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

ghcoe wrote:Your jeep should have a larger tank than 18 gallons. I just put 18.269 gallons in my tank last fill up. I think mine might hold 24 gallons, but should be 20 for sure. The early coffin tanks only held 18 gallons.

I have the tire rack with the jerry can holder that I use for reserve. Usually I never touch it though.

I have been looking at the boat gas tanks for outboards. I think they might work on the roof rack just fine.

ZJ gas tank is 23 gallons. FSJ is 20. My 90 still has a 20 gallon tank. Most ive been able to put in is about 18 gallons when my gas light was on.

I actually plan to mount a ZJ gas tank on mine. It will fit perfectly where the spare tire goes i think. I havent measured yet but ill do it tomorrow. An extra 23 gallons would be kickass. And with my load carry coil soring shock i shouldnt notice a drop in right height.

If i dont do a spare tank i always wanted to cut thr floor out and weld an extra storage bin down there and use the floor i cut as a door with hinges. Therr is a lot of wasted space down there
Last edited by candymancan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tedlovesjeeps71

candymancan wrote:
ghcoe wrote:Your jeep should have a larger tank than 18 gallons. I just put 18.269 gallons in my tank last fill up. I think mine might hold 24 gallons, but should be 20 for sure. The early coffin tanks only held 18 gallons.

ZJ gas tank is 23 gallons. FSJ is 20. My 90 still has a 20 gallon tank. Most ive been able to put in is about 18 gallons when my gas light was on.

I actually plan to mount a ZJ gas tank on mine. It will fit perfectly where the spare tire goes i think. I havent measured yet but ill do it tomorrow. An extra 23 gallons would be kickass
But probably add to the Wag sag when full. Image

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

There is no wag sag. Measure your fender and wuarter panel on the top of wood trim to the wheel well.. the fender is 10 inches quarter panel is 12 1.2 Meaning the ride height is actually the same.. thsag is a optical illusion from the lower quarter panel... Look more closely and you see what im talking about.

Remember i have a new stock oem suspension and my back end still seems 2 inches lower if you look and measure from the rim cap to the wheel well.. but it isnt. and i also have gabriel load carring coil over shocks.. im 300 lbs if i sit on the tailgate i drop only half an inch at the most an inch.. these shocks can hold an additional 500 lbs with no drop in ride height

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Wow so many options!

thanks.

So if I install a tank where my spare is and get a different spare mount, would it be protected enough without a skid plate? I can just imagine puncturing it on a rock...

And how to get gas to refill main tank from the spare tank?

Or do I use the new, bigger tank as main tank and put in a new sending unit, fuel pump etc...

Also sounds good to just throw up some plastic tanks on top but worry about leaks and spills on the top of Jeep. Is that a problem?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

ShagWagon wrote:Wow so many options!

thanks.

So if I install a tank where my spare is and get a different spare mount, would it be protected enough without a skid plate? I can just imagine puncturing it on a rock...

And how to get gas to refill main tank from the spare tank?

Or do I use the new, bigger tank as main tank and put in a new sending unit, fuel pump etc...

Also sounds good to just throw up some plastic tanks on top but worry about leaks and spills on the top of Jeep. Is that a problem?
Gas cans have been part of Jeep kit since the beginning. The type of container and how you fill it, mount it, and secure it all play into how happy you will be with it.
The spare mount extra tank is probably the best option if you can pull it off correctly. Using a plastic one which has a sending unit with built in pump can be plumbed and wired to transfer to the original tank. You will want skid plate for it though as it will probably hang down lower than the spare tire did.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As an FYI, you have a 20.3 gallon tank, not an 18 gallon. Not that this changes what you want, as thats still not enough. I second a second aux tank in back with a pump to fill the primary.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

33 gallon suburban tank in back of my J10 behind the axle. :) Still going to carry some extra fuel.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

only good thing with a small tank is when im half a tank or less i try not to drive as much lol or as hard. when im full i drive everywhere and hard on pedal lol.

so if i had another 30 gallons lol.

but ya a 200 give or take mile range sucks

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe »

I added ten gallons on a swing out carrier bumper. Only carry a couple gallons for backup normally. Fill them up for trips. And I switched to black jugs, because the white just didn't look quite right.

1976 Cherokee NT, 360, TH 400, Quadatrac

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

my only issues with having gas on thr back like that is if you get rear ended.. even ina fender bender and those gas cans puncture and ignite... good way to have a carbecue