Anyone have the windows tinted ? Trying to decide how dark to go

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Anyone have the windows tinted ? Trying to decide how dark to go

Post by candymancan »

I like the look of open windows on the wagoneers. But the amount of sun, No privacy, And heat that gets in is too much.

My state laws allow an suv any shade of tint in rear even 1% lol and the two front have to be 50%.. I believe my ZJs are 20% rear 50% front and i like that. Cept the front could be a little darker.

I was thinking of getting 15-20% for all my rear windows and 35% for the front or maybe 35% all around. Does anyone have their wagons tinted and have a pic of it and how much tint it is.

I dont want mine too dark where it look ghetto but i not too light either.. plus i think tinted would look good on my black GW
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rapom

Re: Anyone have the windows tinted ? Trying to decide how dark to go

Post by rapom »

This is at 35% all the way around except the front windshield. I think you could go darker in the rear and not look bad. My 98 jeep cherokee is a lot darker in the rear from the back doors to the hatch from the factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rapom on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapom

Post by rapom »

Here are some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

*I just got them done like an hour ago, i got the brand called Global and got the ceramic tint, 15% all around minus windsheild, looks really nice. Not limo black because of so many windows. and way cooler inside now, and i think it looks good with the black paint

rapom

Post by rapom »

It does look good! Even the extra emblems on your front fenders look good.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i bought those old emblems on ebay. They used em on late 60s early 70s Fsj.. i like em. I polished thr chrome with toothpaste and repainted them by hand.. and put thrm in the same spots from back then.

One says Jeep the other says V8 360.

I was debating taking em off with the tint it kinda looks outa place maybe. Or should i leave em ? I got the emblems on both fenders.

Here is my thread on my emblems with better pics

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=12809

I might get pulled over for the front windows.. legal is 50% i debated getting 35% to look visible but still dark but decided to go 15 all around.. i never break the law so i was like f it and lets see what happens. So many ppl are blacked out here so yea. I think its mainly state police who go after tinted cars. In northern va

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Looking good. I would remove the other emblems and just keep it retro.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

which emblems. the ones i put on or ?

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Limo tint is good! ;- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Its not as dark as a limo. Limo is 5% and under. This is 15% but it is close lol. You can still see inside when its light out due too how many windows are in thr Jeep.

Need to bring it back. Some spots im not hapoy sbout for 350$ i expect no bubbles and good cut tint.. they kept saying it was hard to do this Jeep but they could have cut a little more carefully some of the tint has big gaps. And bubbles.. one is pealing off on a corner. The rear window might have been hard due to the heated glass.. but there are are gaps along each heating element my bros camaro doesnt have that. Also alot of pin sized air bubbles in rear glass

Kimda suprising onsidering this shop has 5 star reviews on many sites.. but he was nice and said if i wasnt happy hed fix it. It does have a lifetime warranty

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Whoever said they are a tint pro and found the waggy difficult is a moron. Big, flat, easy to reach glass panels are far more easy that. Most of today's complex curved ones. I'd tell them do it again, correctly or refund your money.
There's a guy that does tint and wraps on Ft Myer who does good work. I don't have his info since moving away but could probably get it if you end up needing a new guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea hes gping to redo the pealing window its one of those small windows on the rear doors.. its cut badly i can see gaps and its pealing off the glass in a corner.

The quarter panel windows also have a lot of bubbles on the corners further to the rear.. I dont see how it was hard either all the windows are flat squares at no real angles.

The vent glass was the hardest he saod but it too has pretty big gaps even after he trimmed the seals.. im not too happy about that either.

I feel like i could have cut these films more precise then this and i dont even know how to tint.. i dunno..

Even showed my 60 year old mom who know nothing and when she saw the hundreds of little air pin sized bubbles on the rear glass she said hell no and make them do it again.

The guy is nice and hell redo it but still.. kinda pisses me off and they didnt clean my Jeep either. I had cloudy water spots all over my outside windows and windsheild and paint and my door panels inside had water stains all over.. they could have at least wiped up that BEEP they spray after..

Im going back tomorrow at 4 so hopefully hell redo the windows im not happy about..

Everyone i called though said my jeep would be hard.. and i called like 6 places.. they said the seals are different on the jeep vs new cars so itll be hard to do with no gaps.

I dunno. should i tell him to redo the vent windows too. There are no bubbles but big gaps near the bump by the handle to open them

Lemme snap some pics of the vent windows

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

"shops" are time based. The more they can tint, the faster, the more money they make. You either have to force them to take the time needed to do it right or find someone who will. Often, a guy with a good rep but no shop, tinting to make extra money, will do good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well he has no issue redoing them he said. So well see tomorrow

This is the passenger vent window.. To me that gap is too big. it looks like BEEP. The drivers side has a gap in this spot too but it isnt that big so im ok with that..

http://imgur.com/a/xFhuF

This is the small glass on the passenger door drivers side.. Look how many bubbles are in this film... its like hundreds of them The glass on the other rear passenger door is actually pealing off in the corner.

http://imgur.com/OBI7Nf4

This is the tailgate glass. I understand the heating element is thick so its hard to get the gaps out between the elements.. but these pin sized air bubbles are on the flat glass. its all over the window..

http://imgur.com/fNdKBrl

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

That's crazy. It's FLAT glass. How hard could it be???

Some of my windows are starting to form bubbles. But until the back passengers start paying me revenue, I'm not going to worry about it! LOL!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I went bwck today for my 4pm appointment. They redid 4 panels of glass including the rear glass.. this time it took 5 hours to do.. 2 hours on the rear glass alone to make sure there were no airgaps on the heating elements.

Look 100x better now. If they just tool their time the first time i wouldnt have had to come back and habe them waste 5 hours for free lol