Need some good winch advice

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Never owned a winch before.

I bought a killer32 bumper front and back and bedlinered it.

Didn't like the way it turned out and the way it looks, but I been driving around for a awhile hoping it would grow on me as some times it takes that. But the wife hates the front bumper. Says she likes the stock one better and her opinion counts so I'm looking for different options.

Is there some sort of winch system that would work for stock bumpers?

I've heard some kinds fit into the trailer hitch. Is that even safe? And if so what would it take to put a hitch on the front so the winch can be switched up to the front if needed there?

Thanks
Last edited by ShagWagon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

dodgerammit

Re: Need some good winch advice

Post by dodgerammit »

I personally think the killer 32 looks like it came from a Land Rover. I like the cliffhanger, crawler, and prerunner styles.

As far as original bumper, you could possibly fab a hidden winch (behind the bumper). Cut a slot in the bumper, and use a flip down 'gas door/plate' bracket to hide the whole thing. That is, if the room is there.

I have a 12K # that will be going on mine. It came from my 85 Dodge W350. I'll do the cliffhanger or crawler. My fun will come when I go to mount the honkin' clutch pump on the engine bay. My winch is hydraulic.... :P
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Sorry, but that bumper looks like a Cattle Catcher from a train! You could have a shop Fab' a hiddle winch behing the bumper for a couple hundred dollars. I've looked at doing that on my shop truck but haven't had the need to do it.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Put the original one back on
ImageImage

Broke some of these. ImageDon't know why they didn't cooperate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Good call on returning to the original. My humble opinion is the K32 looked horrible.
From the pics it looks like the bolts you broke are stainless? That would explain it since most stainless bolts are not very high grade. If I were you I would go with a receiver mounted in front. Get a quality winch mount and run Anderson plugs at each end of the vehicle to operate the winch. Receiver mounted winches are usually plenty strong. Their main weakness would come from off center heavy pulls. Straight or close to straight line there is little difference.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Much better :mrgreen:

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

Second what Ted said!

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Well odd thing is I had to break the bolts to remove them. Two of them anyways. The other four finger loosened like normal when I broke the seal. Two of them seemed to get tighter the more I backed off till I broke them with a breaker bar. Just thought that was odd behavior for brand new bolts.

I like the K32 for it's practicality. It's just butt ugly. Like an dog so ugly it's cool.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Buy a J-truck for it.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Or put it on the wife's Mini Cooper lol.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Good call on the bumper. My J-10 might be able to pull it off, but definitely looks goofy on a wag that pretty.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Stainless bolts? They tend to gall if not lubed.

How's the rear bumper look? Maybe you could drive it around backwards?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Last edited by ShagWagon on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedlovesjeeps71

^ fits like a glove^^

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

WrenchMonkey

Post by WrenchMonkey »

ShagWagon wrote:Image
lmao, that center portion matches the grill line perfectly... trim off the headlight surround and shorten the width of the bumper and the mini could totally pull it off...

these two from BJ's are the only ones I've seen that I've almost approved of...

There's something about bumpers that I'm a real stickler for, and something is "off" with most everyone I've seen for FSJ's, I feel I may end up designing and fabricating my own at some point. I'll share the design and process when (if) I do..

tedlovesjeeps71

WrenchMonkey wrote:
ShagWagon wrote:Image
lmao, that center portion matches the grill line perfectly... trim off the headlight surround and shorten the width of the bumper and the mini could totally pull it off...

these two from BJ's are the only ones I've seen that I've almost approved of...

There's something about bumpers that I'm a real stickler for, and something is "off" with most everyone I've seen for FSJ's, I feel I may end up designing and fabricating my own at some point. I'll share the design and process when (if) I do..
Best deal going now to buy the basic brackets from Tad. From there you can use your own design ideas to make one that appeals to your tastes. Saves all the headache of making mounts and drilling big holes.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I like the dozed bumpers because they are more compact. I have personally always hated round tube bumpers. They don't hold up and you can't use a high lift jack on them.

There was a guy that mounted the outer prices of a 70's 3-piece on either side of the winch on I think a dozen bumper. It looked pretty cool.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I think you could make the k32 work if you trim a few inches from either side so that it hugs the front of the truck better. Right now it looks like it was made for something else the way it sticks out so far from the wag.
In the market for a new FSJ