New member intro from Raleigh

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
merrill77

New member intro from Raleigh

Post by merrill77 »

Hey, thought I'd introduce myself. I've got a 97 TJ (purchased in 2000) and had an 85 CJ-7 before that. I've got three boys and as the number of scout campouts has been increasing in frequency, I'm finding the TJ a *little* cramped :o I've been eyeing the 4-door Wranglers for a while, but just can't convince myself to let my little TJ go. But a few weeks ago, I was perusing the local Craigslist for the larger Wranglers in an attempt to convince myself that I really do want a bigger vehicle when I came across some of the 80s Wagoneers. I thought that might be a nice addition and much to my surprise, my wife said she'd kinda like driving one -- she thinks the wood-panel wagons are just hilarious :D I really need another auto in the stable...she won't drive the manual in my TJ or RX-8. Until then, I knew nothing about FSJs. I know just slightly more than nothing, now.

So here I am to learn about the FSJs. I'm finding myself quite attracted to the 70s Cherokees. I'm looking for a nice driver...not a project.

Anyone in the Atlanta area? Found one for sale there that I like and would love to get a little heads-up on the quality of the body before I make the 7-hour drive down there to see it. It looks beautiful...but who knows what is below that paint. Need to give it the magnet test.

TIA!
Chris
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

ShagWagon

Re: New member intro from Raleigh

Post by ShagWagon »

I'd say if you take your time some when searching for a good base one to build, then you'd save way more than that later in time, money and cuss words rebuilding everything to find out it's all rusted out too bad.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I don't like being devil's advocate, but these rigs aren't "drivers", they're all projects. The newest FSJ is still 25 years old with antiquated components and designs that will demand attention, money, skill and time to stay in service. For most of us it's a labor of love, but it's still labor.
Point is, you could shell out $10k for one that's as beautiful as the day it rolled out of the show room and get stranded on the side of the road driving it home because the ignition module died. Trying to drive an FSJ will turn you into a mechanic, if you're not one already.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

REDONE wrote:I don't like being devil's advocate, but these rigs aren't "drivers", they're all projects. The newest FSJ is still 25 years old with antiquated components and designs that will demand attention, money, skill and time to stay in service. For most of us it's a labor of love, but it's still labor.
Point is, you could shell out $10k for one that's as beautiful as the day it rolled out of the show room and get stranded on the side of the road driving it home because the ignition module died. Trying to drive an FSJ will turn you into a mechanic, if you're not one already.
On the other hand, it you're a "can't leave anything well enough alone" kind of guy, they can be made into good, reliable vehicles. :evil:

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Thanks for the feedback. I have a great mechanic that I would expect to tap on a regular basis. I don't expect the reliability of our Toyotas. So when I say a "driver", I mean that I'm looking for something that is ready to drive now...not a project. And can be kept drive-able without spending a fortune. I have a $100/mo budget for maintenance per car. Is that reasonable with some up-front investment?

What upgrades would you recommend to get something reliable enough for at-least-once-weekly driving and monthly 150-300 mile trips, adding up to maybe 3k miles/year? I've seen mention of electronic TBI kits. Upgraded ignition. Other recommendations?

TIA!
Chris
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I'd say $7500 for something ready to go that someone has gone through with decent upkept and fuel injected upgrade and mostly everything works would be a ballpark.

But that's only if the seller is honest and did it right.

Best thing is be patient and look for a good deal.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Thanks!
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Fuel injection with timing control can eliminate the problematic ignition module. (some people don't have any problems with them, however)

You will want to refresh a lot of things (gaskets, bearings, fluids) for a 200-300 mile trip, however.

I agree with Redone. Most FSJs are now project vehicles, not daily drivers.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Howdy and Welcome to the Madness

This one has been on the daily driver roster most of it's life with 295K miles on some of it. 8-)

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum... I will add that if you need working AC, add another $1500. Most of our riggs have terminally ill systems that are best to be totally overhauled...
Do a search on this forum, and make sure that you are aware of the rust disease of these beasts!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Welcome!
I have drooled over that golden eagle cherokee on CL many times.. Just outside my $$

For your projected use (3k miles/year), I think a good solid stocker that is well-kept and maintained would work. Save up those $100/month, because you will inevitably need several of them when something does fail. Mine had 215k on the clock when I did the drivetrain swap. It still ran ok, but was quite tired and replacing stuff was getting to be regular. Granted, that was, geez, 13 years ago.

Some (many) will disagree, but a modern drive train is your best bet for truly dependable daily driver duties. Or, as some have mentioned, a full rebuild and all wear parts replaced.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Which one are you looking at in Atlanta? I am in Atlanta, just bought one here in late June. Just want to make sure it's not the one you were looking at, that may not have been taken down off the site.

New to the FSJ world, but have a 79' CJ5, so not new to the Jeep world.

There are a couple out there on CL. There is a nice looking Wagoneer that just popped up and price seems very right.

JD

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

fulsizjeep wrote:Howdy and Welcome to the Madness

This one has been on the daily driver roster most of it's life with 295K miles on some of it. 8-)

Remember that time your back wheel flew off going 70mph on the interstate? :P

I remember when it happened to me! Thanks again for your help with that one! That's where the reliability is, the people, not the Jeep. ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

REDONE wrote:Remember that time your back wheel flew off going 70mph on the interstate? :P
Which time? :shock:
:-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

1979bettywhite wrote:Which one are you looking at in Atlanta? I am in Atlanta, just bought one here in late June. Just want to make sure it's not the one you were looking at, that may not have been taken down off the site.
It is a red '79 Cherokee. Just talked to them today about when I can come down to see it. Unfortunately, kids off school, work and a family vacation are getting in the way my Jeep plans :(

But on the upside...I've secured the go-ahead from my wife :) So as soon as I can get down there...
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Gotcha -

I don't see it on any of the channels that I peruse. Would be happy to give it a look over for you if it is near me and the people are nice enough to let me do that. Could take some pics etc and send your way.