Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
cpittman428

Re: Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Post by cpittman428 »

This is from the ad.... If this is accurate.
It looks like it's up in the mountains a bit but I'd be willing to meet someone somewhere along the route and drive the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Yeah, that's a drive for me. I'm sure someone here or the mother site lives closer?
Another option would be to take it to a shop for inspection. Have em run a compression and leak down test, check brakes, suspension, fluids, etc. That ain't chump change he's asking. I'd want it checked out thoroughly.

tedlovesjeeps71

If you could arrange it I bet Chris (Overacker?) At Code4x4 would inspect it. He knows jeeps. Not sure how far his shop is from there though.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

I'm not sure if he's asking $12K or if he just typed in 'one' 'two' 'three' 'four' 'five' and is fishing for offers... haven't gotten that far yet. I'm afraid it's gonna be too high for me if he's really asking $12K.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Paraphrasing owner's text here...

"$12345 is just a number picked for the ad.... a paint job makes this a $30K car".

I'm not saying I disagree but I'm not paying $12K-15K for this Jeep to make it a $30 Jeep after a paint job. Not even thinking about paying over $7500 without laying eyes/hands on it and driving it. I haven't had a Jeep painted for quite a while and even then it was by a family friend and didn't pay even half of the commercial rate. Pretty much just payed the cost of materials and a cheap hourly labor (and he did it in his spare time so it was about a 3 week turn around!) I do recall that 2 CJ doors he did for my Scrambler (similar deal) cost me a decent chunk of change and I did a large majority of the prep. I think about $750 after he spent a good amount of time fixing some rust that I thought wasn't that bad when I bought the doors which turned out to be pretty severe.
Anyways.......... my job interview today went well. Both myself and the employer decided we should sleep on it and make a decision by the end of the week and it will be better pay so the Wagoneer budget "may" increase a little. I say may because we are also trying to buy a house in this crazy Colorado market!!!

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/6239834937.html
I just fell in love! Begging my wife for the new Jeep budget to fit with this Wagoneer!!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Ten grand for hacked fenders? I wonder how he dealt with the inner/outer fender interface in the rear.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

SJTD wrote:Ten grand for hacked fenders? I wonder how he dealt with the inner/outer fender interface in the rear.
Yeah, I'm with you. That's a lot of money for a chopped basket case with molested emissions and a carburetor.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Man I guess to me it looks pretty clean and straight. I like the stance. Aside from the emissions not installed and AC out (which I don't currently have anyways) it seemed like there are no glaring issues and lots of updated parts. We'll see I guess. $9500 is a stretch for us right now anyways but I'd go closer to $7000-7500 if he'd take it.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

We're all probably just spoiled, having been in the FSJ game when people would pay you to take them. Now that people think they're worth more than scrap, I doubt I'll ever buy another runner, haha!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/cust ... 28474.html

Looks like everything has been done to it...
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

deckroid wrote:https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/cust ... 28474.html

Looks like everything has been done to it...
Emissions worries me with that one. I saw it the other day. If the swap was done right it could pass.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Vortec from a 2003 should pass, but yeah, depending if it was done right. I will say that Boise has emissions testing. Out here in my area we dont, so :evil: my GW doesn't worry.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

deckroid wrote:Vortec from a 2003 should pass, but yeah, depending if it was done right. I will say that Boise has emissions testing. Out here in my area we dont, so :evil: my GW doesn't worry.
Colorado swap laws are weird... that's why I ended up selling my Scrambler with a 350 swap. You can only swap model year or newer engines (Scrambler was an 84, 350 was a 75 so they wouldn't even let me test it). You test for what the donor vehicle is and have to pass that standard. So, if you have a 5.3 Vortec out of a 02 Silverado in an 84 Wagoneer then you have to pass every single little detail that an 02 Silverado would have to pass. So if it was a complete removal from the donor with all the emissions intact and it can pass as the donor vehicle then it's ok.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Going to look at this Wednesday afternoon. He already dropped the price from $9500 to $8500. I'm still a fan of the look of this one (even with the cut fenders and wrong grille) and the fact that it at least comes with all the emissions components and I wouldn't have to track them all down or buy them.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Also this guy was pushing me to give him an offer. I explained a bit of our current financials (working on pre-approval for home loan, mixed up bill on surgery for the dog last week/waiting on refund, and new job prospects) and that the best I could currently offer as a potential max budget was $7500 (even though I do have a little more wiggle room than that) and he promptly said that wouldn't be enough and then sent me this. Image I wasn't about to get into a texting argument over the price of a good paint job and replacement vinyl wood grain and installation and the true value of the Jeep so I just let it go. Yeah that Jeep may be worth $30K after a paint job to someone but that doesn't mean that it's worth $20K now!

tedlovesjeeps71

cpittman428 wrote:Image
Also this guy was pushing me to give him an offer. I explained a bit of our current financials (working on pre-approval for home loan, mixed up bill on surgery for the dog last week/waiting on refund, and new job prospects) and that the best I could currently offer as a potential max budget was $7500 (even though I do have a little more wiggle room than that) and he promptly said that wouldn't be enough and then sent me this. Image I wasn't about to get into a texting argument over the price of a good paint job and replacement vinyl wood grain and installation and the true value of the Jeep so I just let it go. Yeah that Jeep may be worth $30K after a paint job to someone but that doesn't mean that it's worth $20K now!

A lot of that going on in the FSJ market right now. Some folks seem to think their beater is a winning lottery ticket waiting to be cashed in. Image

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

And his nada guide doesn't even list high retail at $30K if that's what he's basing his prices on. Anyways moving on past that one.

tedlovesjeeps71

cpittman428 wrote:And his nada guide doesn't even list high retail at $30K if that's what he's basing his prices on. Anyways moving on past that one.
You'll find one that makes you happy, just stick with it. The real downside to the cut fender one is the cut fenders. There rest looks ok. But if you ever want to go back to more stock/original, fixing those would be an expensive PITA. But if you're just looking to get into one to enjoy and you like the look... Go for it! Image

rirealtor

Post by rirealtor »

Not knowing your financials( or wanting to), you really should wait on this until after your home closes. Not before, during, or even the day before closing. Banks look at debt ratios, reserves, and employment verification up to day of closing and any major spend will be scrutinized and can have a severe effect on your loan. I have personally seen buyers lose their loan/home because they opened a Furniture credit card a week before closing.
If nothing else, ask this question to your loan officer for a clearer picture.
Besides- all the Jeep pricing will drop in the late Fall when its time to store them.
75 Wagoneer Alpine White fresh from the Left Coast