Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
cpittman428

Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Post by cpittman428 »

Hey guys, been lurking for a long time/posted a handful of times.... let's make this official... I'm ready to buy a Wagoneer... I've got around $6000-7500ish budget (could go a bit higher for the right one). I need a driver that can pass emissions in northern Colorado and doesn't have any major mechanical issues. I can live with and work with some minor mechanical and cosmetic issues (interior and exterior, paint, windows, trim, stereo, carpet, vinyl, seats, surface rust, etc.). I'm ok spending the whole budget on the right Wagoneer that doesn't need any work or buying something in the realm of $2500-5000 that needs some work as long as it's a driver. I'd also like to have to not drive much farther than 6 hours to put eyes on it (I'm located in Fort Collins CO). Also don't mind lift, oversized tires, mild fender trimming aftermarket mods (as long as it's done correctly of course) as it will end up "resto-mod" anyways. I do prefer the interior on 80-85 but I'm not going to be able to be that picky. I'm pretty consistently checking Craigslist and eBay but thought it was worth a shot to see if anybody on here had any leads/Waggy for sale outside of those two options. I've done a fair bit of research but am not an expert on FSJs yet. I'm not a master mechanic but I can do driveway/garage work...
I've already got several saved on eBay and Craigslist both within and outside my 6 hour radius. I may need an eyeball if anyone is willing to help outside that window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
cpittman428

Re: Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Post by cpittman428 »

Also........ going to look at this tomorrow..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/142429005122
Thoughts?!?..... mileage and body/interior look excellent from photos... but before I bid if anybody has a better option speak now or forever hold your peace!!!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Just looking at the ad, I'm betting the reserve is twice your budget. I don't have an eBay account to contact the seller but I'd be willing to put eyes on it if you can get me a their number.
EDIT>>> oops! I read "going to bid" not"going to look at". It does look like a creampuff!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Careful, I suspect that there is Floor Rot. Its hidden under the carpet [can be check from under the vehicle] and is a major cost.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

There is rust around the marker lights. It will need new woodgrain and a re-paint.

I wouldn't pay over $5K for it. But I'm a cheap bastard.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Rust on floorboard wont always be shown by looking under the Jeep. You need to remove the philips screws on the carper trim and pull the carpet up.. and for me some of the screws had to be cut off due to the alluminum corrosion..

Also fyi from my personal experience at least where i live in the DMV( D.c MD VA ) area a wagoneer thats under 3,000 is going to be in rough shape and need a lot of work mechanically and have bad paint jobs and rusted out quarter panels and so forth. One thats 4000-5500 is going to need work but will otherwise be in good shape. And the ones that dont need any work done to them will be in the 7500+ range.

I got mine for 4500$ body was otherwise mint with a newer paint job and wood trim in good shape.. interior wasnt missing anything besides the headliner and cargo cover and the seats were in mint condition. It however had rusted out floor boards that turned out to be larger than i anticipated and it had a lot of electrical problems (aka wiring needed replaced) it also leaks oil evrywhere and had a bad wheel bearing and exhaust.. needed a new suspension too. You think this sounds like a lot ? Well a mint interior and exterior and mechanicly sound is what you get for 4500$.. but rust and electrical issues abd so forth is what you get for not paying 7-8k$ +.. at least on the east coast i would assume on the west coast most wagoneers have 0 rust but instead have a lot of paint issues due to the intense sun

But its been 100% reliable and i daily drive it and havent had a single issue.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

REDONE wrote:Just looking at the ad, I'm betting the reserve is twice your budget. I don't have an eBay account to contact the seller but I'd be willing to put eyes on it if you can get me a their number.
EDIT>>> oops! I read "going to bid" not"going to look at". It does look like a creampuff!
Yeah I'll probably bid but I'm not going to pick my max price until I lay eyes on it at least. It's been re-listed twice already because the reserve wasn't met (first auction ended at $4400 and second at $5200). It's only 1.5 hours away so its worth looking into.

I did notice the rust around the marker lights, rear wheel openings and looks like there's some on the passenger front fender way up front under the wood trim. I'll do a lot of poking around to inspect for other rust if I'm allowed.

Might go look at this one if I get a chance. It's a little farther away but I like the year and price better. Have already contacted them and got a few extra pictures that aren't in the ad. There's rust in the passenger front fender.
Classic Jeep Grand Wagoneer
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6189661798.html

Another option but 8 hours away.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4X4
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/6173890361.html

I'm anxious to get one but trying to be patient and pick the right one.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The one on ebay is at 5300 and reverve is still not net.

Tbh i dont like reserve prices.. if you put something at 4k and want 7k then imo start the fing price at 7k.

And tbh with the rust the first one has it isnt worth over 5500$. Where i live you can find ones like that for 3,000$

Find one that has a good paint job and a non rusty body.. rusted floorboards and even a frame in easy spots can easily be fixed and body work is a lot harder and more expensive to do. At least this is my experience... i fixed my rusted floorboards in 2 days with a 100$ welder and 20$ cutting wheel from harbor freight.. same with sections of my frame... but the body work is hard to do. And rusted out quarter panels.. while common sucks because driving in rain the tires will kick up water inside your jeep

The first one in craigslist you listed for 4k.. id look but i wouldnt pay even lose to 3k for. the clear coat is completetly gone and i can see the paint on the hood is close to gone. The exterior wood is in rough shape and missing all the trim outlining. I wouldnt pay anymore then 3000 for that one.

To give you idea... i paid 4500$ for mine.. and this is mine. Granted i had repairs which ive already mentioned.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I agree. Those prices are nuts. I realize these rigs are getting older and collectible, but this is getting silly. Do people not know how much it costs for a QUALITY paint job???

If these prices are true, then I must be sitting on a $25,000 FSJ in my garage.... :roll:
Ethan Brady

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Saw this... Thought of this thread:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6200294462.html

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Saw this... Thought of this thread:

I like the engine pic. Air filter held on by ?? Oil filler just venting into the engine bay and what are the clothes pins for???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

SparkyB wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Saw this... Thought of this thread:

I like the engine pic. Air filter held on by ?? Oil filler just venting into the engine bay and what are the clothes pins for???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is a foam filter in the filler cap, so leaving the hose open is no worse that sending it to the open element air filter. It has a replacement carburetor and manifold, so the routing of the fuel line is just the shade tree plumbing for that. It's been "desmogged" - air injection is rotted/missing, vapor recovery canister is still there,but appears not to be connected. All that stuff is easy to set right, if the body is actually rust-free. Nice Grand Wagoneers sell for some premium prices, and it appears the main problem with this one is the high mileage. People sell cars for a reason, so I'd look at it with that in mind. Worth a look, if you are in the market.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Went to look at the 90 in Denver today. Runs great. Drives great. Interior good. Drivers rear door power lock doesn't work. Passenger rear window doesn't work. Tailgate window doesn't work. Owner said that they have worked off and on (electrical issue not window motor issue).
Rust in circled areas on both sides. Few songs and scratches here and there. Image
Only appears to be surface rust underneath but rust near front markers looks fairly set in.

My main concern is that he doesn't have it registered currently and last 3 years that he had it registered he had it registered in a non emissions controlled county since he had issues getting it to pass. He said he was told/under the impression that all the components are there but I don't really know what to look for under the hood...

tedlovesjeeps71

cpittman428 wrote:Went to look at the 90 in Denver today. Runs great. Drives great. Interior good. Drivers rear door power lock doesn't work. Passenger rear window doesn't work. Tailgate window doesn't work. Owner said that they have worked off and on (electrical issue not window motor issue).
Rust in circled areas on both sides. Few songs and scratches here and there. Image
Only appears to be surface rust underneath but rust near front markers looks fairly set in.

My main concern is that he doesn't have it registered currently and last 3 years that he had it registered he had it registered in a non emissions controlled county since he had issues getting it to pass. He said he was told/under the impression that all the components are there but I don't really know what to look for under the hood...

Dis you happen to take am engine pic? Most of us have cussed the emissions stuff long enough that we can at least tell if the major stuff is there.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
cpittman428 wrote:Went to look at the 90 in Denver today. Runs great. Drives great. Interior good. Drivers rear door power lock doesn't work. Passenger rear window doesn't work. Tailgate window doesn't work. Owner said that they have worked off and on (electrical issue not window motor issue).

Dis you happen to take am engine pic? Most of us have cussed the emissions stuff long enough that we can at least tell if the major stuff is there.
I didn't take any pictures. I was thinking that there was an engine shot in the ad but I must have been thinking of a different Jeep (I've looked at so many on eBay and Craigslist that some are starting to run together). I can probably have the owner get me a picture.

tedlovesjeeps71

cpittman428 wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

I didn't take any pictures. I was thinking that there was an engine shot in the ad but I must have been thinking of a different Jeep (I've looked at so many on eBay and Craigslist that some are starting to run together). I can probably have the owner get me a picture.

That would help but most of that stuff can be had pretty easy since some of us take it off. A new cat is kinda a given and probably the worst part. Most of the vac lines are probably due for replacement anyway. The smog pump and exhaust stuff is fairly bolt on. It's tuning and getting it correct to pass that makes it difficult.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Rust in the front marker light area, front door/fender and near the fuel filler are not usual. That says the body drains were plugged up years ago.
If you see that much visible rust, you can assume the other 80% is hidden from view. I would take a serious look at the frame from the firewall back.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tedlovesjeeps71

Tatsadasayago wrote:Rust in the front marker light area, front door/fender and near the fuel filler are not usual. That says the body drains were plugged up years ago.
If you see that much visible rust, you can assume the other 80% is hidden from view. I would take a serious look at the frame from the firewall back.
^^ this^^ especially around the gas tank/skid/frame.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

The tailgate might be a PITA to repair if the motor is out, and it's NOT electrical, like they think it is.

X2 on a new cat and a good tune. Or heck, just fuel inject it. But that may be more than your'e interested in doing at this point.

If the smog pump and air injection tubes are missing, those are a pain to source on the used market.

You said Denver, but it sure looks like it's located in Fort Collins. LOL!! If you want, PM me and we can look at it together. I am right in the area.

For the right price, it would be a good FSJ project.
Ethan Brady

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD