Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
cpittman428

Re: Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Post by cpittman428 »

I'll be buying the Wagoneer with cash. No credit expenses extra right now. We've got a real good mortgage broker who has helped us and he made it very clear not to take on any extra debt. We actually used up some savings to pay off some debt to help our debt to income ratio to help our loan rating. We haven't found a home yet but we are working to get a good approval so that when we find one we can jump on it because the market moves so quickly here. Thanks for the heads up though! Both our realtor and mortgage broker said the exact same thing you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

So, the NADA says my 84 is worth 11k as LOW. I got it for $2500 in Oct 2016. I wouldn't have paid over 3500 for it. It is in decent shape, mechanically, but the paint is gone, clear coat gone, seats need redone, rear windows didn't work, wag sag... and I love mine, don't get me wrong, but I just wouldn't have paid much more for it. I have done some work on mine, and if I had to sell it I wouldn't ask that much for it.

You will find one... only a matter of time. How far away are you looking/willing to ship?
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Checked out the Denver 89 today. I do like it. He has reinstalled the air pump to make sure it was working correctly but has not installed the rest of the emissions parts (though they are in a box in the back seat). He currently has it registered in a non emissions regulated county but showed me a "pass" from 4 years ago. He said even then he didn't have most of the proper equipment on it, only a cat. He said the CO2 was pretty good but all the other points were barely passing. He also said they weren't nearly as strict back then on the visual inspection so he was lucky. As previously mentioned, rear fender trim with inner and outer fender could be an issue. I made sure to look at it and there isn't anything done to fill the gap, but it did allow me to look in and see that at this time there is no rust forming there. There is some nickel/quarter spots here and there (not horrible) and overall the body/paint looks better in the pictures and from 30 feet than when you're climbing in, on and under but it's nothing I can't live with. It drives nice, steers well, stops good and with the 4.09 gears it's not as sluggish (even with the 33s) as the last stock Waggy I drove. I did see one rust spot on the underside of the body (maybe to the left of driver seat) that was about a half dollar and looked set in fairly well but overall no "bad" rust (no such thing as good rust either though). I don't think it's a $8500 Jeep but I'm gonna sleep on it a day or two. Maybe I can live with $7000ish but shoot for less. I'm bad at negotiations with these things. I love Jeeps and I don't want to insult someone asking $8500 by offering $6000. I know that's part of the sale but it just sucks. I loved my Scrambler and got a few lowball offers that kinda pissed me off but that's the game I guess.
((Side note got good news on home loan pre-approval and as fate would have it we saw a really nice place on a real estate app today on the west side of Fort Collins near the foothills in our approved range, WITH A 2 CAR GARAGE!! Which would mean no more laying in the street or gravel driveway to climb under whatever Jeep I'm driving. Going for a look on Friday.))

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Start at 6. The more you save the more you can invest to fix the gremlins that are waiting for its new owner to release them. he's probably like most of us and wants as much for it as he can get. It is "the game", be nice but stick to your guns.
Good luck on the property too!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you worry that the bid might be insulting, do some figuring on your own. Pick a starting point based on what you would pay for your "optimal" vehicle, and start listing the things that are deficient on the current vehicle. I expect you will easily get a price lower than what the owner wants, or even what you were willing to offer. In these situations, the party that names a price first has an advantage in that the first price "anchors" the price negotiations. If you can come up with a way of calculating a new anchor for the price, that will help in the negotiations.

Speaking of gremlins, I would certainly discount the offer heavily if you need the emissions equipment to work, and it does not now.

To me, for a car you want to drive every day, a few thousand plus or minus in the original purchase price does not seem like much of a barrier. Over the life of a used car, the purchase price is a one-time expense and a very small part of the "investment" in the car.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

The property turned out to be pretty overpriced in our opinion (and the opinion of our realtor) and someone already offered full price of course in this ridiculous market here on the front range!

On to better news! The guy in Denver area has offered me a significant price reduction due to the emissions/fenders and several 2 wheeled projects/landscaping project he also has on his plate..... I think we might be pretty close to Wagoneer ownership!

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

SALE PENDING! Going to pick it up on Wednesday! Got a price reduction that we could live with. Then I'll have to find time to get the rest of the emissions stuff bolted in and get it tested. I'm sure I'll have questions as the next few days weeks months and years go by!

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

cpittman428 wrote:SALE PENDING! Going to pick it up on Wednesday! Got a price reduction that we could live with. Then I'll have to find time to get the rest of the emissions stuff bolted in and get it tested. I'm sure I'll have questions as the next few days weeks months and years go by!

Awesome! Congrats!!
Sorry about the property falling through. I guess in a way I'm thankful we are not in a position to look ourselves. Buying in a sellers market can be a lesson in frustration.

If you need any emissions stuff I may be able to help. Depends on what it is.
I'd recommend you order a new "spun" cat from performance curve, maybe a new muffler as well.
From there it is all the assundry emissions stuff and tuning.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Made it home! Many questions to follow I'm sure!