Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
cpittman428

Re: Looking for 80-91 Wagoneer....

Post by cpittman428 »

dodgerammit wrote:Image
Here's the pics he sent me not in the ad.... the bad angles he didn't want in the ad I suspect. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'm sure one of the other guys can chime in and verify if a TBI system is emissions compliant. If it is, I highly recommend you contact Bill Hamilton @ Hamilton fuel injection. I just installed his kit and it's all new stuff. Wiring harness neat and well labeled. And his willingness to help (Customer service) is top shelf! Heck, call him and ask about the emissions compliance, I'm sure he can give you a straight answer.

tedlovesjeeps71

If you can afford it I suggest you go with whichever one is nicer body wise. Rust is a nightmare and repainting isn't cheap. You can make em run fairly easy and parts for that are abundant. But having a great running rig and then trying to make it look presentable is costly.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

cpittman428 wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:Image
Here's the pics he sent me not in the ad.... the bad angles he didn't want in the ad I suspect. ImageImageImage

I spotted that fender in the ad's pic. It's easily replaceable. the quarter can be done by a competent body guy. The biggest thing is the rig looks pretty clean as far as rust goes.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

That silver one (Springs?) is a trail beater. Needs body work, paint and woodgrain. A lot of $$ or time to get it looking nice.

I'd jump on that white one in KC if it runs as nice as it looks and it's in your budget. Again, if you have all the emissions equipment intact and working, it is EASY to get these rigs to pass.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

tedlovesjeeps71

Fwiw, I have several smog pumps, brackets, etc in storage. I also have the complete system on the 360 in my scrambler. If you get one that needs stuff or a look at the complete set up, let me know.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

FSJ Guy wrote: Again, if you have all the emissions equipment intact and working, it is EASY to get these rigs to pass.
Therein lies the rub! With no emissions components left on the Jeep I'd have some additional expenses for parts and probably some labor costs.... I can typically handle most bolt on tasks but beyond that I don't have the space/tools/know how to do much.
If there's truly NO emissions components left, what all am I going to have to source? Anyone in the front range area that wants to help install said parts with me, cheap! I do desire to learn more about working on these and other classic Jeeps without relying on paying a shop or mechanic ridiculous price!

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Fwiw, I have several smog pumps, brackets, etc in storage. I also have the complete system on the 360 in my scrambler. If you get one that needs stuff or a look at the complete set up, let me know.

Awesome! Thanks! I may have to take you up on that offer when I get back from My trip next week. It'd be good to have someone point out what all I need and be able to physically see/touch what to look for.
I did a quick look on BJs and TGW websites and it looks like they have a decent amount of stuff available for emissions components but I'd guess there's stuff that they don't sell/make anymore that's harder to source? If most of that work is just tools and elbow grease following the advise on here/you tube videos I can probably do some/most of it. Fine tuning to actually get it to pass may take a more skilled hand/mind than mine.

tedlovesjeeps71

That white one, unfortunately, has headers. Not sure how invasive the inspection is up in your area but to restore original emissions you'd need the factory manifolds with the air tubes. Unless you can get away with out it? Any of you longer CO residents know what is required vs what can be deleted??

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Looks like a plan is coming together! I don't have emissions testing here. If I had any emissions stuff left on mine, You could have it for just the ride. Sorry. Personally, Id grab the white one as well. Ditch the headers and sell them on ebay or on here. Might post a want ad on here for whatever emissions stuff you need. If you are on FB, there is a GW group that occasionally sees a parting out ad.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Regarding emissions and EFI, it depends on the locale and what the test requires. If it's just a tailpipe test, it will be easy to get EFI to pass. If there's a visual, it may or may not pass, depending on how closely they look, and how "original" you've made it look.

The Howell setup is appealing because they show you what devices you need to retain, and they provide a sticker that ensures compliance per the EO.

The white one looks too much like a hot rod under the hood to pass, I would think. The open element air cleaner will be a big red flag, if you have a visual inspection. From an emissions POV, headers should not be a problem, if they include air injection ports. In California, I believe they would be an issue, since you need an EO (or a referee's sanction) for every mod you make. Maybe not in Denver. Again, depends on your locale.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Perhaps you would be better off waiting for a local one to show up that has already been e-tested.

When I bought my current Jeep, it was in an exempt area and all the emissions stuff was removed. I re-connected the air pump, reconnected the AIR injection tubes, installed a diverter valve and replaced all the associated plumbing and hardware. I also had to have the air injection tube that runs from the diverter valve to the catalytic converter re-installed. Even before the FI, with a carb, it passed the IM240 test.

Because I'm a hoarder, I had all of these parts already on hand which admittedly made things easier.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

This one has been out there awhile. It's near my hometown in IL and I'll be driving through there in the next week.
https://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/6199518658.html
171k miles. Asking $7000
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Looks pretty clean.

Not sure how my Sonic Drink selection 'windshield view' got in the last posts? :P

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Will have updated info on the 88 later today. Received more info and waiting on a few more pictures. I'll post an update for your opinions... thanks to everyone who is lending experience with Wagoneers!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

No worries. I love spending other people's money!
:- p
Ethan Brady

tedlovesjeeps71

^^ it sure is fun, ain't it??

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Alrighty then! Here's the juicy bits from his email.

I bought it in Montana and drove it home. Regarding emissions, the previous owner removed the air pump and injection tubes. Cat, vacuum advance, and egr are still in place. The jeep runs well but does not always start well. I figure it's just carb issues, though from researching a bit it seems an electric fuel pump in addition to the mechanical one solves some of these problems. I have not installed one though. Even though it starts hard sometimes, it always starts.
I did a compression test when I replaced plugs and wires. All cylinders were 120psi. I was pleased to see that all cylinders were the same, though 120 tells me it's a tired engine. The jeep has almost 172,000 miles, and I have no records of a rebuild. It drips a bit of oil, though I have only had to add oil once and that was after I had the rear main seal replaced. I think the mechanic just failed to refill completely. It's safe to assume that it is a worn out drive train, but it does drive and shift quite well for something of this age. It has no major mechanical issues. Minor ones consist of very slight exhaust leak. This seems to come from the exhaust manifolds were the injection tubes were plugged. The front passenger door likes to lock itself somehow. There are fresh air flappers on both sides under the dash, but only one opens and closes. The other is stuck closed. Occasionally I find a few drops of water have made their way through the windshield gasket above the steering wheel after a rain. Also, the passenger side back door seems misaligned somehow as the bottom of the door doesn't close flush. I have not addressed anything related to suspension as it seems to drive and ride well enough. U-joints could be a culprit to some vibration.

He sent 2 videos. I'll see if they will post.

Topic author
cpittman428

Post by cpittman428 »

Well I'm guessing you have to use one of those 3rd party sites for videos... sooooo screenshots it is!
Image rust around trim rivets
Image front door/fender
Image minor damage rear corner
Image rock chips
Image rear corner underside
Image rear door
Image misaligned rear door he mentioned
Image front fender
Image what's left of the clear coat

Topic author
cpittman428