Exhaust smell in cabin

Area for General FSJ related chat.

fulsizjeep

Re: Exhaust smell in cabin

Post by fulsizjeep »

The tailgate and window are very common places for exhaust to get in. I usually run the right side or both rear door windows down a few inches so most of it leaves there instead of in the front. I have run a few FSJs with exhaust dumping in front of rear wheels. Yeah, that can be a contributor. 4 doors flex more than 2 doors. As a result, the rear fender wells develop cracks near where they attach to the floor. That is where I am getting fumes now.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

hi all, i might have discovered the origin of that smell : exhaust gasket is broken and there is a good leak of fumes, i got new gaskets but wonder if the bolts won't break cos they look so old and rusted, any experiences to share about this ?
Jeep Wagoneer 1965 4dr 327

letank

Post by letank »

tara wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:47 pm hi all, i might have discovered the origin of that smell : exhaust gasket is broken and there is a good leak of fumes, i got new gaskets but wonder if the bolts won't break cos they look so old and rusted, any experiences to share about this ?
which part of the exhaust? in the engine compartment... aka the exhaust manifold (collecteur d'échappement au niveau de la culasse), unfortunately they tend to break... unless... it has been a common source of hair loss and sleepless nights... spray plenty of penetrating oil, you may not have pb blaster in paradise, but a mix of autotransmission fluid and acetone 50/50 seems like a good trick, otherwise the blue wrench is good too, heat up the bolts with a torch to red hot, and with a long breaker bar give it an even snug... some have said that tightening a bit to loosen rust is a good way to start... then impact driver to shake things up... I did all the above some years ago, sprayed in pb blaster every other day for a week... drill some holes in the inner fender to be able to access the bolts with an extension... and be able to use a manual, yes, a MANUAL impact driver, not the electric version

Good luck
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

letank wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 pm
tara wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:47 pm hi all, i might have discovered the origin of that smell : exhaust gasket is broken and there is a good leak of fumes, i got new gaskets but wonder if the bolts won't break cos they look so old and rusted, any experiences to share about this ?
which part of the exhaust? in the engine compartment... aka the exhaust manifold (collecteur d'échappement au niveau de la culasse), unfortunately they tend to break... unless... it has been a common source of hair loss and sleepless nights... spray plenty of penetrating oil, you may not have pb blaster in paradise, but a mix of autotransmission fluid and acetone 50/50 seems like a good trick, otherwise the blue wrench is good too, heat up the bolts with a torch to red hot, and with a long breaker bar give it an even snug... some have said that tightening a bit to loosen rust is a good way to start... then impact driver to shake things up... I did all the above some years ago, sprayed in pb blaster every other day for a week... drill some holes in the inner fender to be able to access the bolts with an extension... and be able to use a manual, yes, a MANUAL impact driver, not the electric version

Good luck
Aloha,
hopefully, i unscrewed the bolts quite easily except for 3 of them, but all is fine, i need to go to the shop and buy new bolts cos some of them look quite rusted, do i have to put something of the new bolts threads before install them ?

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

I would use one of these high-temp ones-
https://www.amazon.com/high-temp-anti-s ... anti+seize
I have used the Permatex 09128 one. Good luck.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

Chubbinius wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm I would use one of these high-temp ones-
https://www.amazon.com/high-temp-anti-s ... anti+seize
I have used the Permatex 09128 one. Good luck.
ok, i got one stick loctite anti seize resist up to 1600 °F, it should be fine ?

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

It should keep the new bolts from seizing up so bad the next time you have to undo them. Good luck!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct »

Fumes will always come in a bit with the tailgate down, regardless of vehicle. Does it on my Sequia and my Wagoneer. Don't drive with it down unless you are carrying something out the window.

C

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

killerinstinct wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am Fumes will always come in a bit with the tailgate down, regardless of vehicle. Does it on my Sequia and my Wagoneer. Don't drive with it down unless you are carrying something out the window.

C
yes true, i never drive with it down
thanks

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

tara wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 am
letank wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Good luck
Aloha,
hopefully, i unscrewed the bolts quite easily except for 3 of them, but all is fine, i need to go to the shop and buy new bolts cos some of them look quite rusted, do i have to put something of the new bolts threads before install them ?
work done, installed 14 new bolts with anti seized stuff and new felpro gaskets
there were 2 bolts which were eaten by rust and 2 gaskets broken and gaskets were wrongly installed the metallic side facing in, meaning toward the engine.