How do you guys press on rear wheel bearings?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

How do you guys press on rear wheel bearings?

Post by Nikkormat »

In all my Jeep wrenching so far I've never had to replace rear wheel bearings, but tonight I need to do one on Wyatt's 89 to get at the seal. Sucker is spewing 90w!

I can get the collar off no problem, but I don't know how to best press the new one on. I don't have a press, but he has a few porta power cylinders. I've seen a few videos here a guy will make a home made slide hammer. Will that really provide enough force to seat the collar?

Heat the collar cool the shaft to get it on?

Any advice is appreciated, I don't want him to loose a wheel on account of my bearing install.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tgreese

Re: How do you guys press on rear wheel bearings?

Post by tgreese »

Your local shop or garage should be willing to do it for $10-$20... Just take the axle and parts to them. Done.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

derf

Post by derf »

I use my press. If I didn't have one, I'd go to a local shop and pay them to do it.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I always cold press the new collar on so as not to weaken it.
A standard shop press does the trick if you have the two piece bearing splitter and some thick flat stock.

Of course, the cheapest/easiest route is to have a shop do it. The benefit is they are on the hook should they do it wrong.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Everyone is going to be closed by the time he gets off work, and it needs to be done tonight so he can get to work tommorow.

From reaserch it seems I can buy 4 feet of galvenized pipe, a coupler, and a cap. Then use a hammer to install the bearing and collar.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you don't have a press, there is no way to do it. You can use a hammer technically, but there is a good chance it wont be straight (will go down crooked), and you risk damaging the bearing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Nikkormat wrote:Everyone is going to be closed by the time he gets off work, and it needs to be done tonight so he can get to work tommorow.

From reaserch it seems I can buy 4 feet of galvenized pipe, a coupler, and a cap. Then use a hammer to install the bearing and collar.
I've always used a piece of pipe and 4lbs hammer. You'll know when its seated cause the sound will change. Make sure to clean the cup in the housing where the new seal will seat.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Maybe you could use a small floor jack and your pipe.

Brace it somehow and jack it into place.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Well he's decided to buy a new fuel pump for his truck instead and potentially sell the Jeep! Spending $180 on a fuel pump vs $80 for seals, bearings, and brakes seems a little screwy to me especially since that truck also needs brakes. But hey, at least I get to go play in gasoline all afternoon now. :x