Connecting Antenna

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
orlando9000

Connecting Antenna

Post by orlando9000 »

Hi, I unscrewed the stock antenna because there was a lot of corosion around the base. I look into the hole and nothing there! How do I access that panel and see if the wiring from the radio is there for me to reconnect it to the antenna?
Thanks!

Tatsadasayago

Re: Connecting Antenna

Post by Tatsadasayago »

There is a hole on the kick panel, above the cowl vents, where the coaxial cable passes through to the cowl drain area then up to the base of the antenna. If you peek under the passenger side dash you should see the coax or the empty hole. It is common for the original crimped cable connection at the antenna base to rust/corrode and fall off.
Now, the bad news; In order to access the cowl drain area, you have to remove the cowl vent housing. The were installed with a heavy caulk and can be a real pain to remove.

The photo below shows the view of the cowl drain area looking through the antenna hole.

And the next shot taken from the vent opening shows the coax cable where it exits the kick panel and goes up to the antenna.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
orlando9000

Post by orlando9000 »

Thanks for the guidance! The photos really help!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

It should have drip loop. Then when the antenna leaks the water drips off the cable instead of running to the grommet, down the side like the picher and maybe through it to the interior.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.