Front drive shaft double cardan

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
az chip

Front drive shaft double cardan

Post by az chip »

At the junkyard Friday the Wagoneer I was pulling from had a double cardan joint on the tc side of the front drive shaft. First for me. Is that common?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Re: Front drive shaft double cardan

Post by will e »

Yes.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Yes.
Mike, I have not seen any. Until now.
Last edited by az chip on Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Didn't you tell me it had a double cardan joint on both end
with out a slip yoke.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

jsinajeep wrote:Didn't you tell me it had a double cardan joint on both end
with out a slip yoke.
I could only see one end. But here was a slip yoke.

Curly

Post by Curly »

Cardan joint is on the TC side of my front driveshaft. From what I understand, they all came that way. YMMV.
Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Curly wrote:Cardan joint is on the TC side of my front driveshaft. From what I understand, they all came that way. YMMV.
Curly
Guess mine got the shaft. Just the shaft.

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I posted all about it in my thread, that you replied to! :P :P :P :D

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 20#p133965

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Yes. All 74-91 FSJs came with double cardan front drive shaft at the transfer case. Since this appears to be fact finding effort, this particular drive shaft was made for a QT FSJ (74-79) It is smaller in diameter than what you see on the 80-91 FSJs. It is thicker tube than the later driveshafts and will also fit an 80-91 FSJ as long as they are both V8/automatic. The primary reason it is smaller in diameter is to help clear the Y pipe on the exhaust.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Thanks! Now I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman06

Post by Elkman06 »

So, I answered your post on the IFSJA....did you find a 1.75 in shaft...or the 1.25in shaft?

elkman06
J20 project....

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I found a shaft. It went to the NP208 set up. Have not measured the circumference yet.