First start after long time sitting...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
SkylinePCG

First start after long time sitting...

Post by SkylinePCG »

Couple years ago, freshened up a low mileage motor for my Cherokee, but only put a few miles on it since. Still fired it up every week or two and maybe ran it around the block, but right now it's been sitting for almost a year.

I have a pile of tune up parts and an old MSD box I had intended to throw on it before the winter hit, but now I'm wondering if I should take some extra steps since it's been sitting this long.

The fuel tanks full, and has stabilizer in it. Oil WAS freshly changed. Should I pull the valve covers to get oil back up top? Spin the oil pump? Pull the spark plugs and engage the starter?

Or is the interval short enough that none of that's necessary?

rocnrol

Re: First start after long time sitting...

Post by rocnrol »

A year is nothing. I'd just fire it up, keep an eye on oil pressure and temp.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

Just light 'er off. At most take the coil wire off and motor it with the starter to move the oil and fuel around to a good point. Then fire it up.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I agree with the others, fire it up.
Your carb bowl(s) are probably empty so pouring some fuel into the bow vent will help it start faster. Mine sits for months at a time so I keep the RPM at idle until oil pressure comes up.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

Ok great! Thanks for the replies

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Take a video when you do it... just because I like videos really. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to be firing up the Waggy for the first time since November and getting it out of winter storage.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb