Question on door lock wiring on a 86 GW.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CherokeeOwner

Question on door lock wiring on a 86 GW.

Post by CherokeeOwner »

What I've already done,
The right rear door lock actuator on my 86 GW is inop. I checked the power wires running to it an I only get 7 to 8 volts. I ran 12 volts direct to the actuator and it operates as it should. It looks likes the PO had already replaced the actuator with a new one. All the other door locks are operating from both the drivers and pass. side switches.

The problem
I see the actuator wires run to the pillar between the front and rear door, where do they go from there? I do not want to gut this thing just to find the wires.

Thanks in advance
Joe

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Question on door lock wiring on a 86 GW.

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You're sure you started with 12+V? If so, that's a sizable drop for a no-load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

I have 12 volts at the switch. I'm trying to work backwards up the wire to see where the problem is.

tedlovesjeeps71

Something is causing the voltage drop. My guess is high resistance in a switch or relay. You have 12v from battery to fuse, fuse to switch, switch to actuator, but only 7-8V out or...?

Topic author
CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

I have 12 volts running from the driver's door lock switch and front passenger door lock switch. All three of the other doors lock and unlock when I use either button. I have 7-8 volts at the actuator and at these wires running from the actuator up to the dash down from the dash. I can see a connector right before the wires go back up in the dash. So I'm curious where these wires run so I can find the source of the drop. The blue and brown wires are the two that run to the actuator that is acting up.

tedlovesjeeps71

Any chance of getting to that connector and checking if it's corroded? It's under the dash, right? Near the heater core and AC condenser?

Topic author
CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

That's where I'm going next. I just wish I didn't have to disassemble the whole dash.

tedlovesjeeps71

I hear ya. You may be able to just pull the screws along the bottom of the dash which lets you drop the AC plenum down. May give you enough room to get at the connector and isn't like pulling everything out.

Topic author
CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

Thanks Ted, I checked it out and I only have 8-9 volts at the connector. Right now, I'm going to ignore it. There is so many other things to fix like the water pump, dome lights and A/C. After that I have to install the interior. Today I fixed the rear defroster and radio and put the tailgate back together. I have the rear window working from both the dash switch and tailgate lock so I'm just going to try to finish it before next Sunday.

tedlovesjeeps71

I hear ya brotha... Good job on making some progress. More than I can claim. Haha