door panels

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
prospector

door panels

Post by prospector »

Okay, so what do I do about my '79s door panels? They're in good shape, tan with all hardware shiny and clean, but the carpeting they glued to the bottoms of the panels is all gakked up and peeling. When I peeled the carpet off it left an ugly residue of glue and crap and it's just hideous, so I'll clean them up and get em all prepped for contact cement, but what do I glue on? I thought tan vinyl, but I gotta go spend $$ on that. I'll tell ya one thing, I ain't putting carpet back on. I'm into the "el-cheapo but resourceful" thing, for two reasons mainly: 1, I've got no money, and 2, I'm a pretty resourceful guy. That was a joke.

Anyways, I need ideas guys. Thanks in advance.

Tatsadasayago

Re: door panels

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That carpet strip always seems to be messed up.
I've seen panels where people have glued on veneer that matches the woodgrain on the bar, woodgrain vinyl flooring, black ABS sheeting, diamondplate, brushed aluminum, furniture upholstery cloth and even the chrome looking adhesive backed mylar that was popular with the Rice-Racer crowd.

I'd look around the house/garage and see if any material gets my attention...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
prospector

Re: door panels

Post by prospector »

Tatsadasayago wrote:That carpet strip always seems to be messed up.
I've seen panels where people have glued on veneer that matches the woodgrain on the bar, woodgrain vinyl flooring, black ABS sheeting, diamondplate, brushed aluminum, furniture upholstery cloth and even the chrome looking adhesive backed mylar that was popular with the Rice-Racer crowd.

I'd look around the house/garage and see if any material gets my attention...
Actually I kinda like the idea of wood grain vinyl flooring, it's a Wag Limited (hoo-boy, right?) so there's already some wood grain around the instruments. I'd only need about 7 or 8 linear feet, I wonder how much that would cost me?? I'm old enough to remember the cheesy wood grain contact paper people used to buy to reline their kitchen cabinets, that might make the wag feel nostalgic. :P I could cut 1/8" sheet lexan to fit, then cover it with the contact paper, but it'd blister in the sun and look worse than the carpet. So the flooring idea is definitely on the table. Thinking aloud here. Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else?