Dusting the Ole Girl Off (pic heavy)

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
megaman_plums

Dusting the Ole Girl Off (pic heavy)

Post by megaman_plums »

Hi, I'm Kyle....and I'm a Jeep Addict. I firstly want to say that I am a long time lurker, but I finally feel like I am willing and able to post here and really join in the community. I grew up in my younger days riding around in my dad's Jeep, and while I did not know much about it at the time, all I knew was that I loved the big red Jeep more than anything else.

As I continued growing up, I became obsessed with the idea of one day being able properly fix the Jeep and give it the love it so rightly deserves. Time goes on and I am finally at a point in life where I can eat and partially support this raging (and only slightly out of hand) Jeep addiction, so I am making the most of it. About six years ago, I was unable to buy the things the Jeep needed, so my dad decided to Non-Op the Jeep (as there were other more pressing projects that needed attention) and put it in to storage until I had purchased the necessary parts and then we could work on it together. Well, after too many years the time had come and the Jeep was once again going to see the light of day.

I had been initially worried about getting the ole Jeep to fire up, being as it had been sitting for a number of years with crappy California gas, but all it took was a fresh battery and pouring some gas down the carb and she fired right up.

After a short drive to my Dad's house from the property where the Jeep was stored, I realized that I literally could not contain my smile or laughter. I had been thinking about this for years and it was finally a reality.

First thing first was vacuuming all the old mouse turds from the engine bay (there was quite a nest living on top of the intake) and a good wash.

This was followed up by vacuuming the interior and giving the Jeep a super basic clean up while inspecting potential broken parts or eyeing things that could be/needed to be fixed.

Before I left, I had to get a beauty shot (for the Facebook fame of course)

So what we actually accomplished this past weekend was getting the Jeep fired up, some new gas, an oil change, general clean up, air in the tires and swapping out the ignition module. I have in the parts bin a new 3 row Champion aluminum radiator, electric fans, and a 1400 Edelbrock carb. We also complied a list of things that need fixing (lots of play in the steering, all the bushings are shot, suspension works but is worn, interior needs a lot of cleaning, driving seat had a few springs broken underneath and the rear seat needed some lubricant).The eventual plan for this Jeep would be something that I could possible daily drive, but mostly to keep it as a fun beach or camping rig.

As of right now, I have a handful of questions that I am hoping you fine individuals could answer.

Question One: What gear oil do you suggest? New fluids all around is necessary, but the diff fluid had not been changed for quite some time and I'm not quite sure where to go with this.
Question Two: Besides BJ's and FSJ Jeep Parts, what other places sell FSJ parts?
Question Three: So I have a new carb and a carb adaptor, but I am tempted to get a new intake as well, in order to free up some HP and get rid of the carb adaptor (spreadbore to squarebore), what are you thoughts on this?

Beyond all of this, I would just like to welcome myself in to your great ranks, and look forward to really joining in to this community more in the days to come.

Topic author
megaman_plums

Re: Dusting the Ole Girl Off (pic heavy)

Post by megaman_plums »

Oh, I forgot the basics.

1977 Cherokee Chief S, AMC 401, Dana 44's front and rear, 3.54 gears, turbo 400 trans

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Looks great. Lucky yiu have a 401. but you need some engine mounts lol that thing was shaking violently haha

Gear oil.. regular 80-90 is fine.. if you habe a limited slip in the rear (check the tags on the differential cover) get some additive from the dealership.. its 10 oz bottle.

4wd.com has sj parts so does teamgrandwagoneer.com. but be weary of thrm they sometimes take forever to ship your stuff out.

Look into filling it up with 93 octane... new fuel filter. New plugs. New wires and distrubtor cap and rotor.. new engine oil.. coolant especially coolant breaks down after 3-5 years..
Last edited by candymancan on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Well I'll say right now that I'm jealous!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Keep it off the beach, dang it! That looks really nice. I was also raised in an old Red FSJ, but it was a 68 Wagoneer. It sure gets in your blood, doesn't it? :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It does.. i was raised on a Zj the 98 4.0 in the sig. My moms had since day 1.. Hense why i got a Zj the 5.9 for myself.. then moved to the SJ.

Secretly though i always wanted a wrangler that Macgyver had... i loved that show as a kid.

My dads truck was one of those small chevy s10 pickups.. he died in 98.. nit sure if id get a s10 though lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Welcome to the active ward of the asylum!!! I agree with REDONE, stay away from the beach since you have a survivor! But otherwise... Enjoy building new memories with a family jewel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

Welcome from Mesa, AZ. Looks like a great start. How many years was it stored? Maybe a gas tank clean out. Vacuum lines and more. FSJ parts are around. You will get to know Jerry in Globe, AZ. You will put the guy at Oreilly's kids through college. Keep posting!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

Your Chief is super clean. Looks like you stored it well over the years. Mine was parked between birch trees for well over 15 years. Every now and then I still get leaves blowing out on me when I drive. You probably won't have that problem.
'76 Cherokee Chief

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome... what about smog check... I can see plugged air tube on the exhaust manifold... you may not pass the expert eye of the smog tech here
As for the intake manifold swap... if it looks too clean... you may fail for unapproved replacement...

Do you have a return line on the fuel filter? I can't see on the pict... but make sure that the return nipple is at 12 o'clock.

As for mice... check the underside of the back of the seats.... and the headliner is a favorite spots for the creatures to hide... you will hear them scamper overhead when you enter the jeep... mint oil is a good way to make them leave.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Cool getting it out of storage!

Looks like you have a factory 4350 carb. This has a unique bore pattern and the Edelbrock will not bolt up to it. You will need to find an adapter for '70's Ford 460 for a car (The trucks didn't need the adapter).

This is the adapter you need: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2199
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

motcat

Post by motcat »

Nice looking chief. Don't forget to start a side bank account your significant other doesn't know about. :-D
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

will e

Post by will e »

Great looking Jeep and a great story too. I painted mine red and gave it the Chief Blackout side treatment and the cool badges. Mine was originally a Laredo but I like the Chief look.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
megaman_plums

Post by megaman_plums »

candymancan wrote:Looks great. Lucky yiu have a 401. but you need some engine mounts lol that thing was shaking violently haha

Gear oil.. regular 80-90 is fine.. if you habe a limited slip in the rear (check the tags on the differential cover) get some additive from the dealership.. its 10 oz bottle.

4wd.com has sj parts so does teamgrandwagoneer.com. but be weary of thrm they sometimes take forever to ship your stuff out.

Look into filling it up with 93 octane... new fuel filter. New plugs. New wires and distrubtor cap and rotor.. new engine oil.. coolant especially coolant breaks down after 3-5 years..
Engine mounts can be added to the ever growing list :D I'll also check the rear diff next time we take the Jeep out. 93 octane would be nice but sadly that cant be achieved because California. All that other stuff was already on the replacing list.

az chip wrote:Welcome from Mesa, AZ. Looks like a great start. How many years was it stored? Maybe a gas tank clean out. Vacuum lines and more. FSJ parts are around. You will get to know Jerry in Globe, AZ. You will put the guy at Oreilly's kids through college. Keep posting!
It was stored for five or six years. Realistically I would like to just replace the gas tank and lines, just to play it safe.
letank wrote:Welcome... what about smog check... I can see plugged air tube on the exhaust manifold... you may not pass the expert eye of the smog tech here
As for the intake manifold swap... if it looks too clean... you may fail for unapproved replacement...

Do you have a return line on the fuel filter? I can't see on the pict... but make sure that the return nipple is at 12 o'clock.

As for mice... check the underside of the back of the seats.... and the headliner is a favorite spots for the creatures to hide... you will hear them scamper overhead when you enter the jeep... mint oil is a good way to make them leave.
The Jeep is registered in a no-smog county so I don't have to worry about most smog related things. And the back of the seats were clean, and although the headliner was pulled down a little bit I couldn't tell any mice were actually up there.
Stuka wrote:Cool getting it out of storage!

Looks like you have a factory 4350 carb. This has a unique bore pattern and the Edelbrock will not bolt up to it. You will need to find an adapter for '70's Ford 460 for a car (The trucks didn't need the adapter).

This is the adapter you need: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2199
That's what I saw when it was looking up stuff so I actually already have that exact adapter sitting in the parts pile, however, I am not all that thrilled with the look or design of it which is why I was thinking of just getting a new intake so I didn't have to deal with the adaptor at all.

Thanks for all the love everyone! I can't wait to order a bunch of new parts and get back to work!

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Rockauto.com has a lot of parts at good prices too. 4350 is a good carb. Nice small primaries for low speed maneuvering, big secondaries for power. It is what I have in my '77. I actually like it a lot. Nice rig, welcome to the board.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ghcoe wrote:Rockauto.com has a lot of parts at good prices too. 4350 is a good carb. Nice small primaries for low speed maneuvering, big secondaries for power. It is what I have in my '77. I actually like it a lot. Nice rig, welcome to the board.
The problem is they tend to leak badly, as they warp so easily. I actually wish the secondaries were smaller. The 4350 is a 750cfm carb, and those secondaries just cause the engine to bog unless you are at a pretty high RPM.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Awesome story and great Jeep!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb