Quadratrac Questions!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
woodsboy00

Quadratrac Questions!

Post by woodsboy00 »

I have a few questions for the people that have a little more experience than me.

1) I have a small leak from the bottom of the case. P.O. had a gasket, and then RTV'd the seal, and I believe the RTV is the problem. It leaks enough fluid I want to get it fixed before I run it. Should I split the case, get a new seal, and re-RTV the seal? Its a '79 case (BW 1339) and going into a '76 with a turbo 400.

2) I do not forsee any problems with the turbo 400 and QT from my '79 donor going into my '76. Jeep is a FSJ Cherokee Chief. 360 w/ Turbo 400-QT and D44s. Is there anything I should be aware of?

3) The P.O. of my parts jeep ('79 Chief) had placed a nut in the QT holding the shifter fork in 4wd permenantly. He then installed a Mile Marker part time kit and locking hubs to just unlock 2wd and 4wd. The Cherokee that it is going into still has the Emergency drive shift knob in the glovebox. It will have to be locked in Emergency Drive for the kit to run this way, correct? Or will turning the emergency drive off and on just "lock" the axles. I heard Emergency drive locked the axles in, and split the power between the two, giving a locker-like axle. Is there any way I can retain this "vacuum locker" function with the way the QT and locking hubs are set up? The vehicle it came out of was very, very rigged, and I would like to do it RIGHT this time on my good Jeep. Please help! :banghead: I am very ready to :fsj:

Thanks in advance.
Woodsboy
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)

fulsizjeep

Re: Quadratrac Questions!

Post by fulsizjeep »

1) Are you sure the leak is not coming from where the QT mates to the T400 adapter? When one or both of the seals on tranny tail shaft goes bad, it runs down from there and appears to be leaking from the Oring seal. If that is really a 79 QT, it will not be using an o-ring like the 73 to early 78 units do. Borg Warner eliminated the oring during the 78 model year for some reason.

2) All QTs fit back and forth between all 73-79 models.

3) I have seen dumb ass stuff like that shifter nut fix cause the shift fork to break. Ill advised back yard repair. :banghead:

Keeping a QT in Edrive mode all the time with open hubs in "2WD" is OK. I have done that a lot. But I warn you that if you run it in Edrive in 4WD (hubs locked) will be bad on the limited slip diff assembly. I would avoid this by fixing the Edrive shifter. My advise is order a seal kit and go through it proper like before you stab it in your good Jeep.

Do some QT home work over here:
http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac