Questions about Jack!!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rlm2550

Questions about Jack!!

Post by rlm2550 »

I have really no jack in my Chero. What with the lift and 33" tires, I am unsure of what kind of jack to get and where to stow it in the vehicle. What kind of jack do you use and where do you put it?? And I don't want a 4' farmers jack.. Thanks for any guidance.. Robin
1978 Cherokee Chief, 401, 700R4, NP208. Dana 44's x 2, Mickey Thompson Deegan tires, lunchbox locker in the rear

Cheapthrills

Re: Questions about Jack!!

Post by Cheapthrills »

The only two I can think of is the hilift jack (farmers jack) or an xjack by ARB

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

I use the bottle style screw jack from the full-size Chevy vans and Pickups of the late eighties. Easy to store in the back.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Cheapthrills

Re: RE: Re: Questions about Jack!!

Post by Cheapthrills »

BCRAWLER wrote:I use the bottle style screw jack from the full-size Chevy vans and Pickups of the late eighties. Easy to store in the back.
You Use That Wheelin too?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The only things hilift jacks are good for are scratching paint, denting sheet metal and knocking out teeth. I've never seen anyone on the trail have a high lift jack make their life easier, it only happens in the internet.

Like bcrawler I carry screw type bottle jacks and scissor jacks. They have long handles to keep you out from under the truck. You lift the axle instead of lifting the whole truck until the axle is hanging from the springs. They are dirt cheap and most of all, they stay where you set them.

:-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I disagree, respectfully. I agree the are dangerous, and have to be used with extreme caution but I wouldn't leave asphalt without one. That's me tho

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah snow wheeling in the spring Michael got my Cherokee unstuck with a hilift when a double line pull on his winch could not.

You can use a hilift to lift a vehicle and rock it sideways. Which is very useful.

But for tire changes I would agree that a scissor or screw type bottle jack is best. And cheapest. You can score one and a handle from the junkyard for less than $10. Just test it out first and make sure it gets tall enough.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

letank

Post by letank »

Nikkormat wrote:
But for tire changes I would agree that a scissor or screw type bottle jack is best. And cheapest. You can score one and a handle from the junkyard for less than $10. Just test it out first and make sure it gets tall enough.

X2 on the bottle jack from the cheby or Ferd or dodge , I forgot which one, it is stored in the inner right fender IIRC so most people at the yard miss it, the bottle jack even has it own sliding sleeve to keep it secured inside the engine bay. The crank handle is super long as well.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

getting a jack has been on my list for a long time as well. I had always thought about a scissor jack from a lare 90's chevy 2500, they are MASSIVE jacks.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

loganobrien121

Post by loganobrien121 »

I know it's useless on a trail but if you're on your street/driveway and have a floor jack, the guy over at bigscaryjeep.com modded his just by welding some pipe to give him the lift he needed.

So if you're confident in your welding there's always that...

EDIT: here's the link. http://bigscaryjeep.com/Jeep_Adapter.html

Not something I'd do but i'm also not the best at welding.
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

Topic author
rlm2550

Post by rlm2550 »

Thanks for the info, it helps. I have a farmers jack that I keep in the LJ.. Just don't want something that big in the Chero. Prolly go looking for scissors jack... Thanks!!
1978 Cherokee Chief, 401, 700R4, NP208. Dana 44's x 2, Mickey Thompson Deegan tires, lunchbox locker in the rear

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

rlm2550 wrote:Thanks for the info, it helps. I have a farmers jack that I keep in the LJ.. Just don't want something that big in the Chero. Prolly go looking for scissors jack... Thanks!!
I have a couple scissor jacks in storage that were for military hmmwvs. They are ok but slow. I keep an inflatable jack in my vehicles as well. As long as the truck runs I can lift it. There are usually some conditions where different jacks excel and some that they suck. Hilifts have their place as well. Just tools to be used as intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Scissor jacks work very well as long as they are cleaned and lubricated after use. I carry a scissor style behind the drivers side rear interior panel and a bottle style on the passenger side. The Hi-Lift stays at home unless I am out wheeling/camping. I think each one has it's merits.
Inflatables/Bags are awesome if you have onboard air. I like them because they conform to the terrain and the vehicle plus they work great in sand, mud and snow without you having to bring a base/board along.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Tatsadasayago wrote: Inflatables/Bags are awesome if you have onboard air. I like them because they conform to the terrain and the vehicle plus they work great in sand, mud and snow without you having to bring a base/board along.
Mine inflates via the exhaust. It also has adapters to use a a different type air device.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I use bottle jacks on all 3 of my Jeeps. People cry foul they are unsafe... yea ok thats why they use bottle jacks to lift up tanks and houses right ???

The stock jacks that came with the ZJs were bottle jacks i love em. Every repair work ive done on the jeeps i used bottle jacks. Just put a jack stand under if you worry about the jeep falling or something.

I actually traded my 3 ton low profile floor jack for a gas tank skid plate because i hated how heavy that floor jack was.. weighed like 100 lbs and because of that i never used it. In fact if you get the wcrew type bottle jack that screws up vs using hydrolic pressure its actually safer then any floor jack which could potentially lose pressure and go down. With a gear type bottle jack that would never happen
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

Bottle jack is the way to go. I carry a jack stand out on the trail with me as well.

I am also part of the 'actually used my hi lift once' club. The jeep had slid just a bit and was high centered. I used the hi-lift on the sliders.
I wouldn't use one to replace a tire.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

A small (2 1/4 ton) floor jack and a piece of 6 inch long 4X4 wood. Fits nice in the Waggy and you don't have to crawl under the Waggy to put it under the axel like a bottle jack. Sears has some great sales going on right now on stuff like this.
Drink more Water

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I also use bottle jacks. The two 98 grand cherokees came with bottle jacks and long arm cranks for them. I use those jacks so much to work on my Jeeps i decided to go tk the junkyard and get two for my wagoneer ( 5$ each) to keep the other jacks in the grand cherokees. They arent tall enough for the frame but for the axles near the leaf springs in the front or jacking up on the diff they are great and i can get the wheels like 7+ inches in the air almost with them.. If i need em to jack on the frame i just set it on a big wooden block to give it extra height

I wouldnt get under the Jeep with just a bottle jack though thats why i have 6 ton jack stands. And make sure you chaulk the wheels.. Ive had a bottle jack tilt foward when the jeep moved foward.

I actually traded my low profile 20 inch 3 ton steel jack for a gas tank skid plate for my 5.9ZJ because it was too heavy to lug around and the bottle jacks weigh like 5 lbs and can be stored easily. I live ina townhouse and got tired of carrying a 60lbs jack through the house to just work on my Jeep

For offroading ? Sorry cant help ya there
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)