looking at an 85 Grand Wagoneer this Saturday

Area for General FSJ related chat.

lindel

Re: looking at an 85 Grand Wagoneer this Saturday

Post by lindel »

The obvious, oil/fluid leaks, hidden body damage (bondo, wavy side panels, etc), pop the hood and look for hacked wiring, check under the dash for the same. Aside from not knowing how much gas you have, the fuel gauge shouldn't be a deal breaker, that's probably the sender or the wiring to/from. If it has a stock motorcraft ignition on it, look at the inner fender where the ignition module is at. If there's a lot of "goo" that's leaked out of the module it might (probably) needs some attention.

On the ifjsa.org site, there's a tech article titled "How to buy a dinosaur" that would be worth looking at if you can find it. Tells you things to look hard at when purchasing a FSJ.
Lindel

Topic author
Saul32

Post by Saul32 »

Thanks bud
88' Grand Wagoneer
Comp cam 260
Holley T/A
Edlebrock performer intake
Flow Master Super 40

Topic author
Saul32

Post by Saul32 »

Looked at it yesterday but didn't buy. Suspension seemed to be done right and looked very new. However, the steering was too wild... I kept getting pulled into other lanes while on the test drive.. I'm guessing the military tires had something to do with that too.Would a new steering gear box and new All Terrain tires fix the wandering??

Pluses aside from rebuilt engine n trans, edlebrock intake, carb and air house,: it started right up with only 2 pumps of the pedal, headers, manual locking hubs, and heavy duty driveshaft...Frame and underbody looked great frame was por15'ed. No rust anywhere and no bondo.

Offered 5 but he wouldn't take less than $5500... this morning he texted saying he would let it go for 5 if I went back... it was 3.5 hrs each way. Goddamnit
If I decide to back I would have to rent a truck n tow trailer from uhaul which is $250. Not bad.
My question now is, what can I ask for those military tires?
They had about 75% tread and looked great. No dry rot or patches or curb rash. Truck sits in a heated garage too.
88' Grand Wagoneer
Comp cam 260
Holley T/A
Flow Master Super 40

lindel

Post by lindel »

Having thought about for a while, I wonder if he installed a dropped pitman arm? It sounds a lot like bump steer.
Lindel

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

http://racine.craigslist.org/pts/3607702448.html
That's all I see close to you so if they can move those on a regular basis you might be able to get that much.
Couldn't do that here, too many on the market for too many years.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
Saul32

Post by Saul32 »

Think I'm going to pass on this Wagoneer..
I can't find out how to get it here and he just offered to deliver it for a few more $'s for gas. He would be towing it but didn't respond when I asked him if he would be removing the driveshaft and if on dolly or trailer.

I decided I shouldnt buy anyone elses build and he doesn't know much about it since he bought it built already.
The thing I seriously liked about it was the fact that the engine and trans were rebuilt.

Looks like I'll be saving at least $3000 by building up my rig instead.
88' Grand Wagoneer
Comp cam 260
Holley T/A
Flow Master Super 40

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

I work with HS kids all day that think they want fast, lifted, modified vehicles.
I do my best to at least let them understand my 4x4 buying rule.
I never by a previous modified rig, 9 out of 10 you are buying what went wrong.
I'm not saying I am right but I think I have saved myself more than a few heartaches over the years.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

husker77

Post by husker77 »

A lot of times though guys start something and run out of money, time, ambition or any combination of the three and you can pick a project up for a good price. You do have to be careful, but when have you sold something where you got you money back out of it? Like I said you really have to be careful not to get someones headache, but sometimes you can get a good deal.

lindel

Post by lindel »

Tad wrote:I work with HS kids all day that think they want fast, lifted, modified vehicles.
I do my best to at least let them understand my 4x4 buying rule.
I never by a previous modified rig, 9 out of 10 you are buying what went wrong.
I'm not saying I am right but I think I have saved myself more than a few heartaches over the years.
You're on the money. I've experienced some (a lot) of that with my TJ. I knew it had some issues when I bought it, but it was a ready made starting place with all the pieces having been bolted on. Meaning of course, that I could fairly easily undo and correct the bad. Which I've done the worst of and now have a decent machine. Still some issues to address, but it's coming along.
Lindel