After owning the Honcho for just over a year... its Grand Wag Time!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Re: After owning the Honcho for just over a year... its Grand Wag Time!

Post by Charles Kline »

Thank you Tatsadasayago!

A lot of good info and things to check out.

I have a feeling the EGR is part of the problem. I've not looked at it yet. The AIR system is now complete. I had to replace the pump and the piping to the cat. On that, I was testing out the AIR control valve, it seems like it's either diverted to Manifold or Cat, but never both. Is that correct? Seems like the top vac motor opens the passage from the pump with the bottom one being normally open to the cat and the vac motor pulls it to the Manifolds and closed off the cat.

These MC 2150's have different size jets right? It lived all its life at 10,000' and now it's down at 5,280'
I wonder if they jetted it so it would run better (leaner?) for that altitude.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

,-,Charles

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

On our Jeep AIR systems, the diverter valve is designed to send air to the manifolds by default. On decleration when vacuum levls are their highest, the valve diverts pump air to the atmosphere.
With an air tube to the cat, pump air is diverted to the tube when a coolant switch is activated and if I remember correctly after all these years, the AIR pump supplies both simultaneously once the coolant temp rises to a certain point. Your system should have two diverter valves or a single unit with both combined.

Yes, there is a range of jet sizes for the MC 2xxx series out there. I used to dig through stockers at the salvage yard and drill the smaller ones out to get the sizes I needed...because poor and cheap :P
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

The EGR is shot. put the hand vac pump on it and it'll build 1hg then drop. Its probably plugged to because when I reached under it to push up on the control diaphragm nothing happened.

I'll get a new EGR coming and start cleaning out any blockages.

The air diverter is 2 in one. The top connection switches from venting the air pump to passing it through and it's connected to the back to the rear CTO. The lower diverter on mine is connected to the manifold vac source in front of the carb. It doesn't makes sense to have it going there, I start to think the PO really goof'd up all the vac lines, but maybe I'm just not getting that part of it. Doesn't manifold vac have a vac signal at all times?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If memory serves, both valves operated on manifold vacuum via the CTO
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

My AIR diverted valve is for sure not working right, it doesn't divert to the manifolds. Just to the cat all the time.

I just picked up a replacement at the JY.

Got lucky the cat air line had a brand new check valve on it so I unscrewed it and left it connected to the diverter valve when I bought it. ;-)

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

More EGR goofyness!

I decided I'd check a few of the local Junk yards for a decent EGR, for $5 it'd be worth it. I came across 3 and I thought they were all bad based on testing with a hand vac pump. What I didn't know what that these EGRs have an internal bleed off valve! so that means that if there is no exhaust pushing on the back of the pintle then it will not hold vac, or even move! At least one of the JY ones was probably good I was just not testing it properly.

I went back and tested mine with the engine running (pretty my last test was with the engine running as well, but I wanted to be sure) and it still didn't hold a vacuum or move. But this time I was able to push up on the diaphragm and get the engine to stumble. So thats good, means my passages are clear. Now to just bite the bullet and order the $60 new EGR (not too terrible as far as EGRs go)

RockAuto has one on warehouse clearance for $25 but its the dang low altitude version. - They must open at different vac ranges or something..

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I tried to get myself to like the wide spoke gold rims I picked up, but I just couldn't. I don't like the look of the flat wide spoke.

I picked up a set of the later grey ones.

Now just need to decide what tires I'm putting on this. I'm leaning heavily towards the white wall (white band) tires. Just something about the total look... :oops:

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Charles Kline wrote:I tried to get myself to like the wide spoke gold rims I picked up, but I just couldn't. I don't like the look of the flat wide spoke.

I picked up a set of the later grey ones.

Now just need to decide what tires I'm putting on this. I'm leaning heavily towards the white wall (white band) tires. Just something about the total look... :oops:
I like the whitewalls idea!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Went up to Winter Park yesterday and cut our own Christmas Tree. The Grand Wagoneer got a ton of thumbs ups :-bd

PBG928

Post by PBG928 »

Use steam on tint. Works like a charm.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

PBG928 wrote:Use steam on tint. Works like a charm.
Thanks,
Check out that Christmas tree photo. All the tint is gone! Ammonia dissolves the glue so Windex worked amazingly well after I peeled the plastic.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Charles Kline wrote:I've got a pretty cool wife... :D

WOW!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Charles Kline wrote:FINALLY!!!

Congratulations! What adjustments did you make?

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I turned the idle mixture screws in 3/4 turn (hadn't set them since the rebuild)
Turned up the idle speed slightly
Removed the air injection diverter delay valve so the air injection would go full time to cat

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Driver window finally goes down all the way! The flex track had broke on the PO and he had the super idea of putting clumps of jb weld putty on on track. It allowed the window to only go down until the clumps hit the curve in the track. The dude probably spent more on the putty then the cost of the $10 replacement track.

Next up is figure out why the pass door lock is so stiff (doesn't unlock with power actuator and nearly twists the key off) and then I need to run a few new wires to the rear pass door to replace the broken power window wires.

I've also been dealing with the fuel gauge sender and the BEEPY aftermarket replacement that refuses to show accurate fuel level. Its the one with the stubby float arm.

-Charles

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Holy wah! Those emissions numbers are awesome!!! I didn't think those kind of numbers were even possible with a carb?!?!

This gives me hope that a new catalytic converter and checking the egr on mine will pass with equal ease.

That GW is a really nice find!!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

shimniok wrote:Holy wah! Those emissions numbers are awesome!!! I didn't think those kind of numbers were even possible with a carb?!?!
:mrgreen:

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

OK you two. How about you come by and help *me* fly thru emissions like that?! :)

Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

shimniok wrote:OK you two. How about you come by and help *me* fly thru emissions like that?! :)

Just got to hold your tounge at the right angle and cross as many digits as possible.

Also jack your idle speed way up and trick the EGR into opening when it shouldn't. The last one may be harder as the back pressure sensor feature is built into the earlier EGR instead of seperate like the 89+. But I'm sure you could figure it out if you wanted too. I think, think, the idle speed is what really does it.