Has anyone cut out the trunk floor and made a storage bin ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Has anyone cut out the trunk floor and made a storage bin ?

Post by candymancan »

Has anyone ever cut out a large section of the floorboard in the rear and welded/fabbed a storage bin like peice under the grand wagoneer where the spare tire would go ? There is like too much unused space under the wagoneer down there and i was almost thinking of cutting out a big chunk of floorboard and creating a square box out of 16GA steel and welding it in there and then maybe making a center bracket thats welded to the frame out 1.8th or 3/16th ga steel for support. And then making a lid with hinges to open and close the bin.. This way i could keep tools and other items under the Jeep and keep the trunk area mostly clear.

I wouldnt make it HUGE, i would make it big enough for storage, but small enough so i have access to the frame rails in case i need to do more welding on them and so forth

I was thinking about doing this because well

A. its completetly wastefull to have so much space under the Jeep where the spare would go.

B. the floors are really rusty under it... not through or pitted.. But attemping to clean it with a wire wheel and a grinding disk showed me itd take forever to clean all that up.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Re: Has anyone cut out the trunk floor and made a storage bin ?

Post by will e »

I like the idea.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

I put a gas tank there. But I see what you as saying. I would think cutting out a floor from the junk yard and welding it to the bottom of the cargo area would be awesome. Get one that already has storage, or at worst case just get one with a spare tire carrier in the floor

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

GaJeep94YJ wrote:I put a gas tank there. But I see what you as saying. I would think cutting out a floor from the junk yard and welding it to the bottom of the cargo area would be awesome. Get one that already has storage, or at worst case just get one with a spare tire carrier in the floor

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

well i dont have an expensive lithium cutting wheel sadly so i cant cut metal at a JY.. trust me if i could.. lol id be cutting peice of a wagoneer i found off for mine.. otherwise thats a great idea.. I just have to buy 16ga steel and weld my own.. Thankfully 16GA isnt too much money.. for a big sheet would cost like 20-30$ and i would need maybe 3-4 sheets of it. Ill keep this thread updated with what i come up with. Because i dont like the spare tire under the Jeep and without it.. There is just a huge cavernous waste of space.. If i ever mount my spare vs keeping it in storage i would just weld a spare tire carrier like my ZJ has inside with a long bolt and have the tire upright in the trunk.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Problem I see, at least with mine, is you can't reach it without climbing in. The tailgate is in the way. Maybe it'd be useful with stock height.

Better than no storage but not very utile for me so not worth doing.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I believe the early wagoneers had a compartment that the rear seat folded down into, but I can't find a picture on the google machine, so maybe i imagined it.. I don't think I have ever seen one personally.
I think that would be cool for opening up the rear for cargo but still having the seat.
It would also be a great section to work into the rear of the bed for use as storage with the matching lid.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

OK, i searched through a bunch of sales brochures online and didn't find anything about a stow-away seat, so I must have imagined it..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Early seats did indeed have a compartment under them but the seat filled it so it could only have something in it if the seat were folded up or removed. It wasn't very big anyway.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It would have been nice if they had something under there. My ZJ has that, i can put my fire extinguisher, first aid kid, my tow strap and my jumper cable in them.. However the wagoneer does have the side compartment where the jack goes.. the ZJ only had a little net.

I think im going to go foward and cutting out the trunk and fabbing a storage compartment. Im going to -reuse the cut out floor board and make it as the top. The only problem im having now is deciging how im going to support the compartment. Im not sure if the 16GA compartment will be strong enough in itself once welded to hold the weight of tools in it.. Or if i should make a support bracket under it.. and if i make the bracket how will i make it.. Do i weld it under at angles like this \ _ / on the frame and under the box to support it ?

robvolz

Post by robvolz »

I'm thinking 2 things:

Perhaps the bin from Chrysler's Town n Country/Dodge Grand Caravan's STOW N GO could be used.

If mounted properly, you could have a 3rd row of seats.

Remove the seats and you have a nice storage area.

Win win

Danbert

Post by Danbert »

I have done this and will put some pics in this post if I can dig them up.
Am I allowed to link to a post on the mother ship?
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141451
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=137836

Check out this thread. If the link is no bueno let me know and I will remove it. Search for "Stereo build getting closer - UPDATED" or "Updated: There's a hole in the Jeep"