VIN Number when/where

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
csuengr

VIN Number when/where

Post by csuengr »

I was thinking, again, about the location on my VIN number (under the hood only) vs. a VIN at the base of the windshield. What started this is when I was puled over a few years ago in my CJ because the color didn't match the DMV records. The officer needed to see the VIN, which is under the hood on the firewall. I will get to my legal question later.

My main question is when did the VIN be required to be at the base of the windshield? Or does it? I have searched and have found no answer. The 70 Road Runner at the front of the shop has it at the base of the windshield and also riveted on the inner fender. My 77' Cherk and the 80" CJ have it only riveted to the firewall. My 88' GW had it at the base of the windshield.

As far as legal issues. If an officer wants to see the VIN and it is only on the firewall, does that constitute a search requiring a warrant? Older officers will know that the VIN isn't always in a location that can be seen, but I am afraid of getting a citation, maybe even towed, from an officer who will think that I have obscured or moved the VIN.

Just some random thoughts.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

mud89

Re: VIN Number when/where

Post by mud89 »

For the windshield base location, i think it's actually when they shift to 17 digits VINs in 1981
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The VIN schemes were created by the SAE back in the day and it was a voluntary setup. At some point the feds decided to adopt the SAE methods and created rules regarding the VIN details and locations. From my law enforcement days I recall that in 1981 when the standard 17 character VIN scheme was adopted, it was 'suggested' to the automakers to provide a means of identifying the VIN without entering the vehicle in any way. To my knowledge, it is still not mandatory. An example is the late model VW Jetta which is DOT approved yet has no dash VIN plate viewable from outside.

As far as concern about getting a citation, I would suggest you consult an attorney regarding the 4th Amendment implications of an underhood search without a warrant and it's probable cause aspect. There are some conflicts in this sort of situation since PC, consent or a warrant is required before LEOs can search the trunk and the underhood is considered to be the same; but there is the issue of the confirming the identity of a machine, which is where the conflict arises.
I personally have had no problem popping the hood and allowing an officer to check the VIN even after allowing them to check the pillar decal, but some might and I have no issue with that.

In a hypothetical situation where you are cited/charged with obscuring the VIN, I would say any decent magistrate would kick the officer in the butt for issuing a cite for that, and even a dumb one would be convinced once the facts about VIN locations were made known.
It is known that since around 1968 that the last 6 digits of the VIN could be found on the radiator support, cowl, frame engine block, transmission case and deck lid/tailgate opening on most cars and trucks. I admit I would LOVE to be cited for such an infraction just for the officer's training opportunity...but I am a muck disturber! :P
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

My 83 Cherokee did not have a dash VIN. My wife's 84 CJ7 does have a dash vin. I have seen mid 80s FSJ's without them on the dash. Weird. I think it depended on who was running the line that day :)
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...