E-Brake Question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
GhostMedic

E-Brake Question

Post by GhostMedic »

Just out of curiosity is is possible to run the parking brake assembly from a M715 on my '66 Gladiator? I know my truck has the e-brakes in the rear drums but I just got a M715 parking brake assembly (Handle, linkage and everything) for free and was curious I could run it on my truck.
Keep The Shinny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down.

1965 Kaiser Jeep Gladiator project "Old Red" http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 564#p62348
kyamcalvert wrote: I hate to sound pessimistic, but these vehicles are not coveted, save for our relatively small and insane group...

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: E-Brake Question

Post by Stuka »

Depends on the length of the cable. If both are of the same wheelbase, you should be able to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
GhostMedic

Post by GhostMedic »

M715 e-brakes are a drum on the back of the t-case with a rod connecting it to the floor lever. IDK if I can retrofit it on my truck.

1965 Kaiser Jeep Gladiator project "Old Red" http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 564#p62348
kyamcalvert wrote: I hate to sound pessimistic, but these vehicles are not coveted, save for our relatively small and insane group...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you want a floor-mounted lever, lots of different cars use these. CJ owners have done this kind of brake handle fairly often, with aftermarket handles (Lokar?) and junkyard handles (Civic?). If you must have that industrial/military look, check out some commercial vehicles. IIRC the postal Jeeps have a handle that pulls a cable - that might be one option that is both spartan looking and usable.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
GhostMedic

Post by GhostMedic »

thanks. I'm wanting the ebrake handle to the trans tunnel to get ride of the factory dash mounted foot operated one. That way I can mount my circuit breaker by the driver side vent.

jpcoutts

Post by jpcoutts »

The M715 style e-brakes are known for heat issues related to the external band being in constant contact with the drum. I have not heard similar complaints about the civilian drum style e-brakes.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The side vents often let rain in on the old rigs, just so you know.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle