Just purchased my first fsj and new to the forum

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
zombiecrawler

Just purchased my first fsj and new to the forum

Post by zombiecrawler »

I didnt see a specific intro thread so Im the newest guy here and have the newest '74 j10. I first got into jeeps with an '88 xj then got the itch for a truck as any red blooded american man would and jumped into getting a comanche that I paid way to much for it is a complete rust bucket. It had a blown up transmission that I bought a parts jeep to easily replace with had some trouble swapping it and generally being lazy finally got it running drove it 3 days before it overheated which led to the ecm frying. I decided to do away with electronics but also wanted a diesel so I started down the route of swapping a mercedes om617. While that was all going on a kept looking at the old fsj trucks they were all either way to nice and out of my budget or complete rust buckets. Last weekend I finally found the right truck. Rebuilt motor, rebuilt trans, 3 inch lift brand new tires but didnt drive "possibly" has transmission issues. So I bring a bunch of atf(the good kind of atf not the jerks) put about 5 qts in hoping it just didnt have enough fluid couldnt get it to move at all no big deal. Brought it home checked the fluid again it was full so ran the truck for 5 minutes and just started going from park to drive and that was all it needed to drive. Its got a amc 360 in it and sadly a quadratrac, Im debating if I want to swap the diesel I have into with the ax15/np321 with 4:1 low kit. Even if I dont offroad it a lot the diesel is going to get way better mpg and is extremely reliable.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C077268

Chubbinius

Re: Just purchased my first fsj and new to the forum

Post by Chubbinius »

Nice truck in AMC livery- red, white and blue! That's a definite win on not needing to pull the transmission/engine.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

will e

Post by will e »

Welcomed to the craziness. There are a lot of good people here, friendly and you will get lots of help too. You can even find someone to take the QT transfer case off your hands!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Welcome! I like the bumper and winch. Those are difficult to find.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

brielly
Vendor

Post by brielly »

Congrats on the purchase. Looks real nice!
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

Topic author
zombiecrawler

Post by zombiecrawler »

Thanks guys. The bumper has hit something really hard and seen better days, the winch only free spins so itll need a rebuild. Im debating if I want to keep the bumper or not it over hangs so far but at the same time it makes it nice to stand on when working on it.

mx71

Post by mx71 »

What's not to like about QT?

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Beautiful truck. Welcome.
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Topic author
zombiecrawler

Post by zombiecrawler »

mx71 wrote:What's not to like about QT?

if I was going to actually offroad it, low range would be nice.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

zombiecrawler wrote:

In my experience, very few Quadratrac Jeeps were sold without low range. The low range is a planetary transmission that bolts to the back of the transfer case. Easy to add if it's not present.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

mx71

Post by mx71 »

zombiecrawler wrote:

My QT has low range. I believe it can be added. It just bolts onto the case. You can also just get a new case from BJs that has it on it.