Afi tbi for carb and distributor.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
toothofwar

Afi tbi for carb and distributor.

Post by toothofwar »

So after months of my pride and joy setting in the yard growing moss, I have concocted an idea. I am thinking about going back to carb and just getting the thing back on the road. It's prime wheeling season and I don't think the wife will let me take the gti to the trails. So here is my idea. I would be willing to trade a complete tbi kit, including the gm throttle body, wiring harness, fuel pump, locked out distributor, ignition module, o2 sensor, and a large cap and adapter. The cap has a hole in it for phasing the distributor. It has the 6299 ecm but I hear a 7727 (I think) is a direct swap for some one who wants to tune there own ecm. I would be willing to trade all this for a new stock distributor and new carb. I would have to leave this negotiable due to the offer of carb choice. Would there be any interest out there for the trade? As far as I know there is nothing wrong with any components on the whole system. It has a brand new carter inline pump. Depending on the carb option I might keep the pump and put a regulator on it. Just some thoughts. Let me know what your thoughts would be. I can take some pictures tomorrow. All parts are currently installed on my 79 cherokee. I am open for offers!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Afi tbi for carb and distributor.

Post by Stuka »

What is missing from getting it running with the TBI?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Me having the skill set to properly setup and tune it. I have had it running. And even made it to the gas station once. But I don't have the experience to get it right.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Why not just buy a 7747 and get a chip from Bill?
You can find the 1227747 for ~$25 on fleabay
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I've done sunk about a grand in a $700 system and it's still not right. Money is running out and so is my patience. Lol. I can work on old school. I guess I'm just not as tech savvy as I thought.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Finding a trade is going to be pretty hard. Most people that may be moving to EFI most likely have a carb that is complete junk. I really think Bill could get it right for you. All you should have to do is plug it in, you would not be doing any tuning yourself.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

That's my problem now. I have 2 carbs that's decent enough for a rebuild. A edelbrock 14xx (can't remember exact number, but manual choke.), and the original 2150? But both need a real good rebuild. I am open for offers for cash also. I'm just teasing the waters to see if there could be any interest in the equipment.

babywag

Post by babywag »

I’ll just add this...
I have helped a LOT of guys with TBI.
Usually the issues are minor. Sometimes not, but most are.
Even a stock chevy 5.7 chip will run well enough to drive it until you can either tune it yourself or get a better chip.

I’d just keep @ it, once it’s sorted out you’ll be glad you did.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

X2. I ran my M715 with an AMC360 on a stock Chevy chip and it worked well enough to get me down the road.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Here's my problem. After 2 sets of shredded dizzy gears, (1 my fault, the other is still kinda unknown why), 2 dizzy rebuilds, (the one sent with the kit had the welds break on the lock out, the other was a bad pickup, so I took 3 and made one good one), 3 fuel pumps(the kit came with 2, 1 didn't work at all, the other made it 10 minutes, so I put a new carter on it), 2 8 pin modules, and not being able to get my computer to connect at all to the ecm, I'm at my wits end with this system. I've phased my reluctor, then checked it 3 times. When setting the reluctor then checking timing I'm over 10 degrees off, so I swapped the leads from modual to dizzy and it was WAY off. I can't get it to run on its own long enough to even make it to step 2 of the initial setup. I really am open for suggestions, but I really am lost......

babywag

Post by babywag »

toothofwar wrote:When setting the reluctor then checking timing I'm over 10 degrees off, so I swapped the leads from modual to dizzy and it was WAY off.
No idea what you're saying above?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Phasing my distributor. On bills initial setup instructions he says to set phasing with the reluctor (the 8 pointed cog that the pickup is triggered by) pointed at the pickup and with the rotor button just past center of the #1 plug wire. This should have timing within 5 degrees of tdc. But mine is over 10 with it phased right. And when I set timing to 0, it will barely run.

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I also heard that if timing is that far off when phasing is correct, the p and n are swapped. But when I would swap them around, it's off the scale.

babywag

Post by babywag »

You still lost me...
I don’t know what you’re reading, but it sounds like you’re confused on how to do phasing?

I’d suggest just locating reluctor in stock position, setting your initial timing to match the .bin, and get it running correctly.
It’ll run fine(provided no other issues), and you can correct phasing afterwards.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

https://youtu.be/qPeHWXkknsA

I think I done this right. Here should be a video I just took of it starting. Note when it is running it suddenly dies out of nowhere. I did a little digging and the check engine light is on during starting and the initial running. But when the light goes off, it dies. This is with the set timing wire hooked up and unhooked.

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Also I did get an error code when I put my jumper in. I got 33, so I changed the map sensor and code went away. But still no change in the way it runs.

babywag

Post by babywag »

toothofwar wrote:https://youtu.be/qPeHWXkknsA

I think I done this right. Here should be a video I just took of it starting. Note when it is running it suddenly dies out of nowhere. I did a little digging and the check engine light is on during starting and the initial running. But when the light goes off, it dies. This is with the set timing wire hooked up and unhooked.

sounds like timing is way off to me.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The way it starts makes me think timing as well.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Initial System Setup/Must Read

So I started with this read. Went back and double checked everything. Timing was off. So I reset timing, reset reluctor, and fired it again. So now it runs, well, ish. As long as I have the set timing wire unplugged it sounds pretty decent. I also got winaldl to connect to my ecm. So today the jeep gods have shined a little down on me. Now here comes the fun part. As soon as I try to hook up the set timing wire and reset ecm, it won't run. I'm talking it might start but never gets above a couple hundred rpm and stalls out. No matter where I try to set idle at it won't run. But if I unplug the wire, it fires right back up and does decent. Just won't take any throttle at all. Here is a little video of me tinkering with it.

https://youtu.be/Cro7blDkTbo

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Here is some short data logs I pulled. I think I done it right.
20180524_204504_LOG.txt
20180524_213935_LOG.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.