Odd noise...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Odd noise...

Post by HowardT64 »

I have noticed as of late, when I am driving the Jeep, there is an odd noise, a popping kind of sound. This sound goes away after she is warmed up. After it quits it seems to accelerate properly and drive like normal. Anyone have any clue what this might be?

Thanks in advance :)

Howard
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

weeegoneeer

Re: Odd noise...

Post by weeegoneeer »

Does it happen when you give it gas? Where is the sound coming from? What carb?

If it happens when you give it gas when you're cold, you're probably running lean until warm. Check to make sure your choke is closed when cold. If so, check first to make sure you have no vac leaks. If you've verified no vac leaks you may need to run richer, or your accelerator pump is shot / going.
1984 GW

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

It happens when I give it gas and it sounds like it is coming from the Carb. Its a 2150...with electric choke. It is possible there is a vacuum leak, ill have to check it. I hope it is not the accelerator pump...this carb has been very good to me.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Thank you for your input :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Okay, I checked the choke, its super clean now and no vac leaks that I can see. There is a loud pop when I accelerate, coming from the carb. Perhaps it is the power valve?

Thoughts?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Sounds like a flat cam, collapsed lifter, slightly bent push rod, worn/loose rocker arm or retarded ignition timing. If you get on the throttle kind of hard and the popping sounds sound(s) are occurring at about half the crank RPM and intermittent, I'd say flat cam.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

crap thats all I need...It runs very well once it warms up
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If the popping stuff stops after the engine is fully warmed up I'd say it's an oiling issue Howard. Perhaps trying a lighter oil and fresh filter may be the answer?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I use 10w-30 right now...synthetic blend. Perhaps a fresh oil change is in order. I dont have 3000 miles on the current batch. Can you recommend a good oil to use?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

The oil I use is high mileage stuff, lots of Zinc...could that cause issues?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Zinc is good if anything i would actually get a bottle of rislones ZDDP (not their supliment the bottle actually says ZDDP) and dump that in the oil. My Jeeps all sound a lot better when i put in the ZDDP bottle. The 4.0 is notorious for clanking or sounding like a diesel its been known to be called a tractor engine.. I jist did an oil change on it with high mileage synthetic blend from valvoline.. But i didnt put in the ZDDP.. and it clanking agsin.. once i put the bottle in it quiets up.

My 360 has an oiling issue.. when its cold it makes a tapping noise.. pretty loud if i accelerate.. It used to take like 300 or 400 feet to go away which leads to believe its oil related. if i let it idle for 5 min itd go away too. this is when i was using 10-30 or 10-40. Now im using 0-40 european blend from mobile 1 and the noise is pretty much not there at all anymore naybe the first 5 feet and then its gone. So ima stick with this oil from now on.

Mine has never done poping through the card though.. Wouldnt a out of timing distributor do something like that ?

the only thing TOO MUCH zinc does is eat away iron... Current engine oil is regulated to habe low levels of zinc due to it fouling catalytic convertors.. Even diesel oil today has lower levels.. So your high mileage oil i can garuntee doesnt have too much zinc
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

0-40 european? Where do you get that? I wonder if I just use my reg oil and add the ZDDP....would that work?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Oooooo Walmart has it 21$ for 5 quarts :) Thanks for the input!!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

And the Rislone is 9.21$ right on :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im not saying 0-40 oil will fix your issue or ZDDP will dont want anyone to throw away money.. but for my 360 i thought my knocking was rod knock.. until i dropped my oil pan and looled at the crank and bearing i realized it wasnt.. and since its gone when i drive a few hundred feet it oil related.. And the thin oil fixed it for me.

Yea 0-40 fully synthetic. walmart has it i think its 25$ though.

I mean without hearing your noise i cant tell you what it is.. Itd help if you could record a short video and upload it to youtube or something ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Rory

Post by Rory »

Sure it's from the carb? I had a motor that did that but it ended up be an exhaust leak from two loose header bolts. When the engine warmed up it went away because the metal expanded and closed up the gap. Easy to check anyway.
1965 Wagoneer 327/T89/D20 SBC 350/700R4 5.3 in the future!
1974 Cherokee 360/TH400/QT (parts)

letank

Post by letank »

which oil filter brand are you using, may be a bad anti drain back valve, or a filter with a high resistance. The 90 Gwag do not have the bypass valve in the oil pump and rely on the oil filter...
AC filters for me.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

candymancan wrote:Im not saying 0-40 oil will fix your issue or ZDDP will dont want anyone to throw away money.. but for my 360 i thought my knocking was rod knock.. until i dropped my oil pan and looled at the crank and bearing i realized it wasnt.. and since its gone when i drive a few hundred feet it oil related.. And the thin oil fixed it for me.

Yea 0-40 fully synthetic. walmart has it i think its 25$ though.

I mean without hearing your noise i cant tell you what it is.. Itd help if you could record a short video and upload it to youtube or something ?
When I get a chance Ill try and record it :) Thanks :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

letank wrote:which oil filter brand are you using, may be a bad anti drain back valve, or a filter with a high resistance. The 90 Gwag do not have the bypass valve in the oil pump and rely on the oil filter...
AC filters for me.
Ill check tomorrow and see :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

The wag seems to be running smoother. Going to get her out a little today and see. I sprayed the crab pretty good the other day...popping seems to have subsided for now. I am going to do an oil change soon...need to get a good filter. Whats the best one for this old girl?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"