AMsee what it is...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

AMsee what it is...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So as I was looking for something in the dark corners of the shop I stumbled across what looked to be a motor. Asked the boss about it as it was pretty buried under a pile of used/damaged ring and pinion and various diff carriers. He said it's junk. Asked if he wanted me to drag it to the scrap pile since we're trying to declutter. He says sure. Took about an hour but I managed to clear enough to spot something that gave me a small chill up my spine... 3 lil numbers.
I ask him if he's gonna trash it, could I have it and what did he want for it. "Get it outta the shop and it's yours." Sweet! As I'm starting performance engine stuff this semester I wanted to use it for school. Tear it down, measure wear etc. Just like with my 360 but more in depth. I was really excited... Until I got it out.
Yup, 401.

Uh... Something important seems to be missing. Image

There just isn't enough there to get credit for school so I guess I'll just finish tearing it down, run everything through the parts washer, and check cylinder and line bores etc. At least the main caps and rods/pistons are there.

candymancan

Re: AMsee what it is...

Post by candymancan »

wow you lucked out there lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Cranks pop up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time. I'd keep an eye out and see what you can find.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Not sure how familiar you are with the 401s ... the bore is large for the cylinder spacing and they can't be bored very much. Can you sonic check at the shop? That will tell you how much meat is left in the walls. If the wall is too thin, there will be hot spots and the engine will run hot - too much heat transfer to the coolant. One can sleeve the bores, but it's not cheap, say $100/hole.

Possible that somebody before you took the crank for a 360 stroker because the block is junk.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey Ted, I may have a crank lying around. But I'd look around the shop. It may be hiding yet!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

candymancan wrote:wow you lucked out there lol
Score for the hoard. Image we'll see if it's lucky or just a boat anchor waiting to blow out my "O" ring.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Cranks pop up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time. I'd keep an eye out and see what you can find.
I did a quick Google and found several new/billet cranks but holy begeebus! Guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Last I heard the billet ones were discontinued. I was talking about used ones popping up for sale.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

az chip

Post by az chip »

You found it for a reason. Keep on keepin on!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Note those pistons. Definitely not stockers. I'd say if the bores and pistons are okay, you done hit the 10:1 jackpot!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Weird oiling stuff going on too
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

tgreese wrote:One can sleeve the bores, but it's not cheap, say $100/hole.

That made you sound like a hotel hooker lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Sorry for the eclectic replies guys. Between working 10 hour days, night school, and playing GIJOE this weekend I'm a little sleep deprived and run thin.
Gabe... Let me know what ya find and we can work something out when you're back in town. In a J truck would be cool.
So this is a lil funny. When I got to school (without the motor) I asked the instructor if he had a different motor I could use. Showed him the pics and he kinda shrugged and said "let's see". We go find a short block 305. Um, ok. Whatever as long as I can work it for class requirements. Took about 15 minutes to take it down to a bare block. I must have been sleepy because it literally wasn't until I laid everything out on the bench that I realized I only had 7 rods/pistons.
He told me just do what I can and we'd pull some stuff from a different motor.
Back to the 401. I tried cleaning the carbon off of one piston to see if it had any info. Brake cleaner and a bristle brush wasn't enough so I'll drag it to school and take it all down and run it through the dishwasher. Get it all clean and then measure what I can.
TAT, I didn't think the pistons looked stock either. Once I get em clean and can check em I'm hoping they are ok and not like .060. .010 or even .030 would work. Check ring gap, crank bore, etc. If nothing obvious is bad and I can find a crank I'll put some of our meager $$ into some next steps. It'll be a very slow build if I have a usable block but should be a killer motor for the Chief. Or commando.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Even if it's beyond what you're willing to invest, someone will buy it.
I had no trouble selling what IMHO was a junker block.
Car guys will invest $ in a 401 block more willingly than a cheap ass Jeep guy like me.
The block I had found was already .040 over and needed another bore. The machine shop said it might have need a sleeve or two. I wasn't willing to throw hundreds @ a block + $$$ for crank/rods/pistons
IIRC sold it for $150 in a few hours of posting it on CL.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

babywag wrote:Even if it's beyond what you're willing to invest, someone will buy it.
Car guys will invest $ in a 401 block more willingly than a cheap ass Jeep guy like me.
The block I had found was already .040 over and needed another bore. The machine shop said it might have need a sleeve or two. I wasn't willing to throw hundreds @ a block + $$$ for crank/rods/pistons
And that’s why my wife calls me a hoarder. Image
Who in their right mind gets offered a 401 and turns it down? Even if the crank is missing, at least its the block, main caps, rods and pistons. I did notice the mains are more substantial than in my 360s. Even if I simply squirrel it away until I can actually throw some money at it, I'm ok with that. I think a well built one will have value in the years to come.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

babywag wrote:Even if it's beyond what you're willing to invest, someone will buy it.
I agree. I sold my .030 block that needed to go to .060 to the machine shop for the same $ that a friend sold me a usable 401 block.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I took a second today to peek at one of the pistons. Not sure but it looks like the skirt is a lil short like a HP application. Also noticed some holes inside like you'd find on one built to handle NOS or boost? Stupidly forgot to take a pic. Sorry. Will update when I know more.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well, I finally got the motor dragged to school. With no crank, heads, intake, etc, tear down was a breeze. Took a few minutes to ponder what looks like someone's attempt at an oil mod...?
Image then did a little scraping of gunk before giving it a ride in the "dishwasher".
At first glance it looks like I had a winner. The pistons are actually aftermarket forged ones of some quality and none of the cylinders look to have any obvious/blatant issues.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

As I was pulling the pistons out I did have one ring that was obviously an issue...

I also seem to be missing two of the wrist pin ends. Not sure where (or if) I can find them.
After a quick rinse I had it clean enough for a simply, cursory look. Found one rod that's an issue.... Anyone wanna guess which cylinder? Image
ImageImage
For now, I'll keep cleaning and begin measuring. If it's not too bad I'll see what I can find for parts. Wish 401 cranks and rods were easier to find...
ImageImageImage

az chip

Post by az chip »

Measuring bores next?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Measuring bores next?
Yeah... I guess that'll be next. Strip the rings from the pistons and measure them. Then bores in the cylinders and main. If no surprises I'll keep cleaning it.