New Woody Owner! 1989 Grand Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Endzone80

New Woody Owner! 1989 Grand Wagoneer

Post by Endzone80 »

Hi All - Long time Jeep owner.. I've had Wranglers (2 Yj's, 1 TJ), and my current DD is a new Grand Cherokee.

I was browsing Craigslist looking for a second car, and came across an 89' Grand Wagoneer for $3,400. Long story short, I ended up going to check it out and it turns out the truck has been sitting for 2-3 years but no major issues. It's an East coast truck (I'm in NY), but it was used on Nantucket, Mass as a summer/beach car, and apparently in movies (which is why it doesn't have the normal 'Grand Wagoneer' and '4x4' Emblems). The carfax report held up the Nantucket story, and not being run for a few years.

The rust is minimal on the body. On the undercarriage, it's not perfect, but not horrible either. Frame is totally fine, skid plate / gas tank, & rockers all look great, but the floor pans are showing a good bit of rust. I went to start the truck, and with a Jump, the truck started up almost immediately!

The previous owner didn't know much about these trucks, but he had bought it for his son who didn't want it, so it sat. I ended up buying it last week for $2,500 (good?), which I think was a deal.

I've been going through and checking it out over the last few nights. As you'd expect, some leaky gaskets, dirty air filter, etc. Tonight, I started evaluating the electrical systems to see what works, and what doesn't. First off, the rear window works, which I understand to be extremely rare, along with all four windows.

The radio, and cabin lights all do not work - which I believe may be related to a bad relay.

Overall, the jeep is extremely clean, and I'm super happy about it. I can't wait to register it and get it on the road. I do have some questions after my first week as a first time Wagoneer owner...

1) I noticed a factory cut hole in the top right of the trunk, on the perimeter of the rear window (picture below). What is this for? What is supposed to go there?
2) I understand there's a way to operate the rear window from the back? How?
3) Fuse Box - Why the hell would anybody put this thing that far up under the dash. Not a question - just a complaint.
4)Head liner - Notice some sagging - is this normal? Easy fix?
5) Replacement Parts - Nothing major I'm looking to buy just yet, but what is the best website/retailer for replacement Wagoneer parts? I've found: http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com, which seems pretty good so far.
6) Recommendations? Any ideas, or suggestions for a first time woody owner? Thoughts on things I should check out or replace before putting it on the road?

Thanks!
Will
wagoneer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skerrvydog

Re: New Woody Owner! 1989 Grand Wagoneer

Post by Skerrvydog »

Congrats! That looks like a SCORE for $2500 in the northeast, at least from the outside. Tired even look good.
Rear window should operate with key by lock cylinder in tailgate.
People here (others, not me!) know their stuff for sure, you won't be let down.
TGW has lots of stuff others don't, but people report poor customer service record, BJs offroad gets lots of praise and is active here as well. Personally I've had success with both.

Welcome, good luck and keep us posted on your adventures
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Looks pretty good in my book!

Is it green?? I love the "hunter" green ones.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Looks nice but like any old car once you start working on it, youll find alot of problems. I sure am on my 90 i got 2 months ago lol
Last edited by candymancan on Wed May 25, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

^what Candyman said - it seems his thread is becoming a good reference for all the little issues that a new owner will encounter.
Also search for the "water water everywhere" thread.
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
Endzone80

Post by Endzone80 »

FSJ Guy wrote:Looks pretty good in my book!

Is it green?? I love the "hunter" green ones.
Yup, Green with burgundy interior.

Bkgw

Post by Bkgw »

I believe the hole is for the rear washer nozzle....great buy!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

My thing i would do.. Pull the carpets up and look what yours working with. Unscrew those little alluminum plates between the carpet and the door seal and pull the carpet up and look. Or just unbolt the seats.. 4 14mm bolts and they pull out after you unclip the power seat plug. Easy.. and that way you can look at all the floors.. Pull the carpet up by the rear seats on the wheel well area.. If your lucky you wont have to deal with this. Trust me.. my floor looked great but once i started poking i found multiple rusted holes and my carpets were soaked.. I spent two weeks just dealing with leaks from the door seals and roof rack screws and the quarter panel window.. Unless someone has done this for you, i almost garuntee your roof rack screws are all leaking, and your door seals are as well..

Grab a hose and run it along the doors and have someone look inside.. I bet you water will get in.

Also that hole is for the rear washer nozzle.. Since it wasnt blocked off, water has been getting in that pillar and into the wheel well area.. Take out that panel on that inside its where the jack/speaker and stuff is.. And look inside with a flash light.. You will probably either A. Have a pool of water in there.. B. The inner wheel well will be rusted out (go under the Jeep and look at the frotn and back of the wheel wells). Or C.. you will be lucky

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Endzone80

Post by Endzone80 »

Thanks Candyman! I looked under the carpet before buying. There was definitely some rust, but as expected for a 27 year old, NorthEast find. I'll take some pictures and add tonight. Definitely going to do the hose test you recommended.

Looking over the car yesterday, I found that the automatic transmission cooler is in shambles (Piping is intact, but the coils are a mess). I purchased a replacement cooler, which I think should fit: Flex-a-lite 4120 Translife Transmission Oil Cooler Kit. Going to install tonight, as I expect it should be fairly easy.

Topic author
Endzone80

Post by Endzone80 »

Yesterday, I replaced the Transmission Cooler, which was falling apart (Pictures attached). With that complete, fluid checks, belt changes, filters, etc., I decided to register it and take it for it's first drive around the block.

This will be its first time driving in 3+ years...

In the first few minutes, I noticed nothing strange - no weird noises (except maybe tie rod/front end rattling). Engine worked great, transmission had no issues shifting, breaks, lights, etc.. After about 10 minutes, I noticed a smell, and headed back home which was only a few blocks away. By the time I got back, there was some light smoke. Temperature gauge, and oil pressure checked out normal.

A quick look in the hood revealed nothing strange, and it appeared the smoke was coming from under the car. A peek under the car revealed that there was some heavy leakage coming from the transmission area. By heavy leakage, I mean it looks like it sprayed out from somewhere, not just some dripping. With that, I parked it and called it a night as it was almost dark out.

A little depressing, but all in all not bad for the first drive in a few years.

I'm going to take some pictures tonight and diagnose where it's coming from. Hopefully it's just a gasket or seal, and not the converter or something worse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

I hate when people call these "Woodies"... Am I being a dick?
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
Endzone80

Post by Endzone80 »

ArchitectJS wrote:I hate when people call these "Woodies"... Am I being a dick?
If you have to ask if you're being a dick, the answer is yes.

The Woody name is actually in reference to the Body Style (which is actually what the style is called). It's not some made up name that 'people' gave them. Ie. A car/truck without a wood trim, is not a Woody.

Again - Yes, you're a dick. Now please be a resourceful dick, and answer my questions or something.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Spraying underneath by the trans would indicate a hole or crack in the cooling lines.
I would suggest warming the engine up, place the trans in neutral (With Park brake or wheel chocks) and crawl underneath. A common cooling line leak is right at the torque converter inspection cover. There is a clamp that supports the cooling lines and often will wear a hole in the steel causing a pinhole leak. Check for repairs made with rubber hose and clamps as they tend to loosen up over time.
You can locate leaks by spraying BrakeKleen around to degrease things.

Welcome aboard and congrats on a nice find.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Oh, and the trans cooler eruption is fairly common near salt water. The salt corrodes the aluminum causing it to loosen. The fins do help with cooling so it's good that you replaced it.
Seeing that rubber hose at the cooler leads me to believe someone may have butchered up the cooler hard lines. This can lead to leaks that are sprayed toward the rear at speed.

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

It was rhetorical, tongue-in-cheek. I guess that doesn't play well on an internet forum.

But now you've got me riled up! FSJ are NOT woodies. Woodies are car/trucks ACTUALLY made of wood.

Unless perhaps you'd like to call my parents 1983 Plymouth Reliant station wagon a woody.
Image1981 Plymouth Reliant by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/47337248@N08/]
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Well, if the leak is red, it's tranny fluid.

If it's black, it's oil.

Hopefully it's red.

An oil leak spraying like that back there would mean the rear main seal is gone.

Tranny lines are much easier to replace/fix. :- )
Ethan Brady

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

DUDE! I always wanted one of those.
A wife, kids, fluffy sheepdog and a Reliant K wagon in Saffron Yellow with simulated wood grain paneling.
My life would have been complete!
:-bd

[EDIT] /Sarcasm off
Last edited by Tatsadasayago on Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Any pictures of that big beefy cooler installed?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If you've always wanted a K car, you've obviously never been in a family that owned one. LOL!
Ethan Brady

lksabata

Post by lksabata »

Did you say you needed your headliner repaired. I need my 88 done as well. I need some advice. I hear about mega mat being used and people like it a lot. Anyone have some advice? Thanks.