Work clothes opinions

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

SJTD

Re: Work clothes opinions

Post by SJTD »

Ok then.

Are they all the same now?

I wear Wranglercowboycutslimfit jeans. I've had some I could hardly get in to and some that are way too loose. Bad QC. Now I take a tape measure to the store and check the waist before I buy.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Southern Gorilla wrote:After more than ten years, my Carhartt jacket looks like I stole it from a bum. The bib coveralls I just bought two months ago at Tractor Supply are falling apart already. So I'm in the market for new cold weather gear for next year.

The problem is that I'm big and tall. All the B&T shops should really be called "big or tall" shops. They assume guys over six feet have narrowish waists and guys with big waists are stumpy. At 6'2", 320 with a 48-50 inch waist I have a really hard time finding clothes that fit right. Especially clothes that fit right while I'm working.
Funny. I find the exact opposite. I feel like big and tal stores are only for big and AND tall or just big guys.

I’m 6’3” with a 36” in seam and I weigh about 185-190. I can’t find a 34x36 to save my life. Very few companies make large tall shirts that fit me either.

Try buying a suit or sport coat. Sorry I don’t have a 50 inch chest. And 42’s or 44’s have way too short of arms.

Life ain’t easy If you’re a twiggy alien lookin mofo either lol.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I’m a smaller guy but I love my Carhartt jacket, and my old navy jeans hold up at work pretty well.
I’ve had them soaked in liquid butane, hydraulic fluid, machine grease, crawled around INSIDE CNC machines, used mills lathes, carried metal stock and used saws and grinders and haven’t killed them yet....keyword yet
In the market for a new FSJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

For years I bought out of the Cabelas catalog till I passed 3XT. Most people don't know it you can buy from Dickies on line where they have a much better selection and if you wait till fall you can buy short sleeve shirts pretty cheap, lately I have been buying off of Amazon. Bibs I have been buying seconds from RoundHouse
https://www.round-house.com

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

SJTD wrote:Ok then.

Are they all the same now?

I wear Wranglercowboycutslimfit jeans. I've had some I could hardly get in to and some that are way too loose. Bad QC. Now I take a tape measure to the store and check the waist before I buy.
Everything I have tried on in the last two years have been too tight. Dickies makes some good fitting jeans, but everything they make has a hammer loop seems like.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I wear a lot of Carhartt trousers. The original ones (the yellowish colored ones that bleach bone white in a few washes) don't even last a month due to sweat and abrasion and washing. I have to buy the double front ripstop to get any life out of them. The Murdoch's where I live has a huge selection of work clothes. Last time there I noticed that Wrangler is getting into the game too. Depending on where you live, a farm supply or an Army/Navy 'surplus' store can carry a lot of work clothes.

I would have thought you would have to wear the flame retardent clothes. Those things don't breathe at all. As for rain gear, try to find something that breathes as well. Those pvc ones are murder

Maddening

Post by Maddening »

I am 3XL and as someone else already said, Cabela's has some great stuff both in stores and online.

The talk about being an office worker strikes me as funny. I see both sides of it, I worked on Alaska's North Slope for years, freezing my nuts off -60°, or fending off clouds and clouds of mosquitos, every day covered in mud and grease, putting in hard 12+ hours a day for 2-5 weeks straight... now I have a nice comfy engineering job (not the choo choo type) at our office in town where I am warm, comfortable and don't have to fight of hordes of bugs. The difference is I make enough money as an engineer "suffering" in this office to go play in the cold and mud and be dirty on my own terms, and then spend time under the hood or underneath the Jeeps getting muddy and greasy when stuff breaks, for fun.

Of course, as previously mentioned, 3XL is the result of this office job!

:D
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.
2017 JK Rubicon - It's GREEN

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Best damn jeans you can buy IMO are Wranglers from Walmart. Cheap and hold up better than anything else I've bought, they're tough like Levi's used to be. Plus they aren't cut to fit twiggy alien lookin mofo's like Marn! I can usually get a eight months out of a pair before I look like a grungy hippie. A few may fall casualty to barbed wire or sharp Jeep parts and have to retire early, but usually I can make it to Black Friday without buying new pairs. On black Friday sale, they go for half off! So I pick up eight pairs for $60 and turn the old ones into rags.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I used to get Rustlers at K-Mart for working on the car. I think they were $9. Made by Wrangler but not quite as heavy. Not as shapely as my usual Wranglers either.

Last time they didn't have them but had Wrangler "Five Star" for about $15. Seem to be holding up ok.

And on the loose side for fat arsed four wheelers. :lol:
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

JMO - anyone that's a normal person (ie not working on cars professionally) should have enough old clothes to fill their Jeep work needs. Just set aside and wear your old clothes for Jeep work.If these clothes get ripped or grease stained in service, throw them away. Don't be so attached to your clothes that they cannot be discarded.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

Carhartt and Duluth have been my Go-To. Im hardly Big and tall (5'9 185) but those 2 brands have always fit me large and i always see big and tall sizes at the work clothing stores. i work in the mining industry(coal and trona) so i go through work clothes fast.
89 GW all stock. Custom game carrier and 12v pass through wiring from the PO

bigun

Post by bigun »

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Carhart and its sister brand Cold gear is good--Duluth cold weather stuff is not as good as Carhart. I do have a lot of Duluth work clothes and really like the value of the 40 Grit. However, I've found that I can get Carhart cold weather gear on Ebay/ new for a third of the cost.

letank

Post by letank »

dickies for the energetic 3 days a week mechanic, gardener and home doer... the wranglers, Rustlers and others do not resist as well... too cheap for the carhart

I like the hammer loop... it is a 3rd hand
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)