Grill name explanation

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
hutcho

Grill name explanation

Post by hutcho »

Just dawned on me, who came up with the slang names for our grills? Is there meaning behind it? Surely there is a good story behind rhino chaser....:wink:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rockwell B1

Re: Grill name explanation

Post by Rockwell B1 »

Well the Rhino Grille came from Daktari, an old kids tv show.

The rest I'm not too sure on, they have been explained over on IFSJA many times I'm sure. I would figure the name for the Razor comes from the fact it looks like the guard of an old electric razor.

The Cheese Grater one obviously comes from the kitchen utensil because it has that look to it.

The Egg Crate/Boobie is along the same lines as the grater, named for what it resembles, either going off the grille or the orange lights within the grille.

The Pig Nose is named as such because it is the only one that instead of being mostly flat-ish and peaking in the middle, it runs flat where the lights/pie plate holes are and then begins to stick out two inches or so more where the radiator is.

The Final Type is clearly named because it is the final grille made for these vehicles.

The only one I'm not as sure about is the Muscle Grille, since to me its rather weak since it is made of plastic. ;)

~Alex

For Sale: 1999 Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Past Jeeps:
1974 J10 LWB 4x4 304 V8
1991 MJ Eliminator 4x4 4.0L HO
'86 MJ X LWB 4x4 2.8L & '88 MJ Eliminator 4.0L

Topic author
hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Guess I'm really showing my age, I have never even heard of that show LOL

Could have guessed on the others, just wondering if there were some interesting stories behind it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

GeologyJeep

Post by GeologyJeep »

Good post glad you had pictures. I too wondered about some of the later grills. Since I have a '69 I knew the two oldest and guessed on the others. Mr. Ed

fancyfree

Post by fancyfree »

Thank you for posting the pictures. Well...I DID guess right about BlackBart's fiancee's wagoneer. It is a "Pig Nose". I LUV it when I am right !!! :)
1978 Wagoneer "Maxine"
401/ T18/ Spicer20
5" Lift (6" soon)
8-lug Dana 44 front --Dana 60 ff rear
3.73 gear-ratio
Exhaust: 2 1/2" mandrel-bent into single 3 1/2".
Moroso Spiral-Flow muffler