Once again I come for computer advise

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bigun

Once again I come for computer advise

Post by bigun »

Current laptop is an HP Elite book 2540P (http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookr ... 0p-review/) which according to the net is an 8 year old!, it is running Windows 7 Professional and I have upgraded it to 6 G of memory. I have been informed that Windows 7, will no longer be supported in a year or so. .
This one was bought because it was cheap when my other one went down on a weekend IIRC it was a $100 and I was able to use my phone to purchase it! While I am not happy with the idea of upgrading to Windows 10, (I hate being pushed into anything) I will do it. But now I must worry about what happens if this one goes down and would like to purchase a back up that I could back up writing and family files to for safe keeping. I have spent multiple hours searching for the best bang for my some what limited funding. I am not a gamer unless you count Solitaire as a game so mega graphics are not my thing, right now computer is used to surf the net and some writing and such.
So where is the cheapest prlce to get Windows 10 upgrade with key and who has a recommendation on a decent computer that won't cost me the use of my appendages?
I have thought about going to a desk top and using laptop for what it was meant to be a portable computer.

MY HEAD HURTS!

Tripwire

Re: Once again I come for computer advise

Post by Tripwire »

I can give you a free licence, I work in IT and every time we get a new motherboard from Dell it comes with a free licence, we have a stack of them we give away. All you need to do is got to microsoft and download the latest windows ISO. You then need a thumb drive about 64 GB which you make bootable. if this is over your head I can mail you a drive for a small fee, you can chose to return it or buy it from me - i recommend to return the drive as when you install windows it also makes a extra fresh copy on the hard drive that you can revert back to for a "factory reset"

PM me if interested

Steve
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

Oh, as for extra computer - just use one drive that is free with your microsoft account, i think you at a gig of storage you can access your data from any PC on the planet, you can buy more storage - or just buy a external hard drive you can keep safe elsewhere

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

I also have a shareware APP that i have been using for many years that reverts the start menu/desktop to any version of windows you wish for so you dont have to look at stupid tiles in windows 10. you can set it for windows 95, XP, Windows 7 look alike and do alot of custom tweaking

its called "classic shell" its free and safe, download it and rename the file to "cool start " or something else -as windows will try and uninstall it

Washington State

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

PM in bound thanks.

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

pm sent back - lets chat....

Washington State