Metal shaping question

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
44bz

Metal shaping question

Post by 44bz »

This is actually regarding my 2a but lots of you are fabricating experts and I’m looking for advice. The replacement body panels are notoriously bad when it comes to fit.

The side panels I have aren’t fully bent on the rear corner and wondering what the best way to get things lined up is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

mmtperformance2018

Re: Metal shaping question

Post by mmtperformance2018 »

Match it up with Bondo lol no but seriously I’ve run into this to on a build I’m doing and I moved onto a different part of the project till I can get a good sense of what to do so I’ll be watching this one

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Find a piece of pipe to use as a break on the corner to bend it in. However, you may need to [shrink] or cut some reliefs in the bottom lip and then weld-in the reliefs when done. Try to match the corner bend radious with the pipe you choose.

mmtperformance2018

Match it up with Bondo lol no but seriously I’ve run into this to on a build I’m doing and I moved onto a different part of the project till I can get a good sense of what to do so I’ll be watching this one

mmtperformance2018

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

What happens if you just pull it in and clamp it?

How about posting a pic looking along the side from the rear?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
44bz

Metal shaping question

Post by 44bz »

SJTD wrote:What happens if you just pull it in and clamp it?

How about posting a pic looking along the side from the rear?
I tried that first but it was causing the opposite side of the bend, toward the wheel opening, to pooch out.

I’ve cut some notches into the bottom edge and I’ve been trying to fold it over. Got it this far:

And pushed it the rest of the way in, held in place with clamps.

I think it’s good enough and should hold fine when I weld up the seam. What do you think?

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Maybe try a stout ratchet strap at the bottom? Go from the wheel well opening to the other misshaped bottom. Pull it together enough to line it up and weld?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks pretty good from here.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-shr ... 68897.html
If you had one of these you could have used it on the bottom lip.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »