Wish me luck! (road trip)

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dusty

Wish me luck! (road trip)

Post by Dusty »

Gotta run to Vegas tomorrow for a conference. I am just worried about the 93 degrees weather. I hope I don't melt?

Still have not gotten the roof rack on or my AC, but I did get my carpet kit installed today/tonight.

GESSE!

What a PITA!

Could not figure out the mass backing stuff either. I guess I will have to email BJ's on that?

The whole black and tan thing looks really cool though on my interior. I might just have to keep my jeep tan?
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

fulsizjeep

Re: Wish me luck! (road trip)

Post by fulsizjeep »

Good luck on the road trip Dusty! When you have some time, pictures would be appreciated. What areas were the most difficult? I thought the backing would be on the backside of the carpet, no? We will be going through carpet install in P2 before Ouray in July.

My vote is Yes on keeping your Waggy tan. :)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

rstep

Post by rstep »

Safe travels Dusty,have fun.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

93 and no AC, I do not miss those days :) Safe journey!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Be safe out there.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Have a good trip.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Good luck Dusty... I would not worry about the heat. It's to help you burn off the "buffets" on the way back home.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

MADE IT!

The old Jeep does OK. I started noticing a coolant smell around Searchlight NV. So I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed that my coolant overflow tank (crapplastic vatozone tank time to call BJs) had lost its lid, and was spilling over onto the hot motor.
When I am traveling around 60-70 MPH my engine runs at the 1/4 mark on the gage. If I start driving at 70-80 MPH it goes up to the 3/4 mark. I know I am not the only one with this problem, and my timing is right on the money. I should just keep it down around 65 I think? I just get in such a hurry when it is 90+ outside, and no AC in the jeep.

Flint I will post up pictures of the carpet when I get back home. Personally I would not buy the kit with the mass backing. It is not attached to the carpet (like you would think it would be?) and you can buy better padding than what ACC carpet uses.
I used the foil duct insulation (homie depot) on the floors, and then just put the carpet onto of that. The other thing I thought I would like and I don't is the way the rear passenger carpet goes up to the rear seat mounting hinges. Also I was not able to heat the carpet a bit before I laid it out, and I think that is SUPER important. The cargo area is a little short, compared to the original. I am building cabinets over the rear wheel wells, so I will not be using the cargo carpeting.

I will be pulling it all back out, as soon as my new dash is painted and ready for installation. I am thinking of having the whole interior soda blasted before I paint the inside?

So now to brave the almost 100 degree weather for the next few days. I think I will wait till evening on friday to drive home?

Topic author
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

On the way to the convention center today the jeep just dies!

Getting fuel, but I think the ignition module is over heating???
Thought it might be vapor lock, but I don't think so now. The ignition module was super hot, so probably just going to replace it in the morning, and try that.

While in there I noticed my air cleaner was kinda dirty, so will go by a pep boys, and pick up both. It is kinda nice that I can replace that module without to much work, and I know I can find one anywhere in the world (GM module).

But when it is 100+ out, and I am all dressed up for schmuzzin with reps, well that is the wrong time to work on a jeep. :(

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Dr. Marneaus on the IFSJ Form live in Vegas. I am sure he would help you if you need some help on getting something or repairs
or I am only 8-9 hr. away and I can help :D .

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thats why you should carry an extra ignition module at all times :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

When asking for people to wish you luck, please specify which kind you would like! ;)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle