Roof Tents

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Roof Tents

Post by Shagoneer »

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are into camping/overlanding.
I've always wanted a roof tent but I'm a bit too cheap to buy one. (1500 for a tent is a bit crazy).

So I got bored at work and started look on Alibaba for rood tents and found some that have good ratings, are from verified dealers, and most of all are way cheaper than buying one here in the US. The only issue is that you have to buy a full container (42) to place an order.

So would any of you like to get together to purchase a container load? It would be about 400 each plus sea freight, and then shipping the individual tents around the country.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Shagoneer on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the market for a new FSJ

1979bettywhite

Re: Roof Tents

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Just got my Tepui Kukenam 3 Ruggedized for Christmas this year. Probably putting in on in a few days.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I guess hitting 42 is gonna be hard.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

What is the total price? Maybe post on some of the overlanding sites as well to get the # you need, I am looking for one, but am with you, they are really expensive....
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

lions and tigers and bears - oh my ! ,

seems like alot of extra stuff to carry unless you really really need it. Why would you want to do this? i'm not being snarky, i just dont understand the need, seem like you would not get alot of rain or scorpions (-:

respectfully
steve
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Steve, I see you have a M416 as well, I am looking for a RTT to put on my 416 for an overlanding trailer... I would much rather spend 2 minutes setting up and breaking down camp than messing with my ground tents. The RTT wouldn't stay on my Waggy unless I wanted it up there and was going somewhere I couldn't have my 416. I also like the idea of sleeping off the ground, it's getting harder to get these old bones off the ground these days.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

BenTaylor

Post by BenTaylor »

A friend and I bought 5 as a sample lot a couple of years ago. We used Alibaba and the supplier was Wincar. For 5 tents we paid $6100 Canadian including shipping import duties and taxes. We chose all the best options: thicker poles, heavy duty zippers and canvas etc. We can't tell the difference between ours and an ARB model except for the logo. Also got them to throw in an awning and 2 annexes into the order. They usually make to order so it can take a while for delivery. The whole process took 3 months for us. We kept 2 and sold 3 which bought the final cost down to about $700CAD each.
I love our tent but I understand they not for everyone. It's not the miracle camping accessory everyone thinks it is, but its the best compromise for the girlfriend and I.

GeorgeTurner12345

Post by GeorgeTurner12345 »

I had been facing the same situation as i wanted to have some good tent for outside camping adventure. But as you have mentioned the price was the main issue as i could not afford much high price then I suddenly found a good place for camping tents. These are cheap and sustainable.

letank

Post by letank »

Tripwire wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:34 pm lions and tigers and bears - oh my ! ,
seems like alot of extra stuff to carry unless you really really need it. Why would you want to do this? i'm not being snarky, i just dont understand the need, seem like you would not get alot of rain or scorpions (-:
X2 , Snarky me here.... Lions and tigers do not get into tents... they only snatch what is sticking out of the tent... Lions, tigers and bears can climb up trees... snakes seems to slither above your sleeping bag and rodents jump around at night, so I now wear ear plugs... I can feel the pounding on the ground when the bear approaches... usually it needs some moonlight... the food is stowed away from car or tent area... what next, wolf... yes that is the next western challenge, but wolves can jump on the hood...

Then , what is the advantage of a roof tent?... I have been camping in tent or many times without a tent during some extended backpacking...

On cold days, the ground is a lot warmer than the air blowing under the roof tent support...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have no back seat...and I am small enough to fit in the back to sleep. I have a 10'by 10' canopy for shade. Or if push comes to shove I could get a cot and sleep in my tent and use my Jeep cargo area for storage :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"