Parts from truck that caught FIRE

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Parts from truck that caught FIRE

Post by JeepManiac »

Hello,

I have looked into several different engine and trans swaps for my J20.

Recently a 1997 Dodge cummins 12v with NV4500 came up for sale that had been in a fire. I would want it for the trans and tcase, and there is another complete 12V engine for sale from someone else locally.

The trans shifts into all gears, but that's all I can check. The fire was pretty severe, whole cab is toast. Top of the engine is destroyed as far as anything rubber or plastic goes. Externally the trans and tcase looks fine.

My concern is the high temperatures it may have faced could have damaged the synchros, or bearings or both. I have not had experience with this before. Truck costs $700, tow costs $80, and to dispose of the truck after I'm done costs $300 here in Kodiak, AK (I know, its retarded). So I'm nervous to invest at minimum $1,080 with these concerns. What do you guys think?

fxtechphx

Re: Parts from truck that caught FIRE

Post by fxtechphx »

Just my thought, see if someone can inspect the trans and tcase, if possible. If you cant ,are you willing to waste 1k on a gamble.
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Condition of the oil in the transmission might tell you something. Might convince you to rule out a purchase. Heat from a fire rises, so the transmission should only have seen radiant heat from the fire. Plus it's shielded by the floor. Condition of the underside of the floor may also be telling.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Pretty sure the shifter has a rubber bushing between it and the schmeckle that sticks outa the case.

Bad because it may make the shifter feel sloppy if it got cooked. Good because it would have insulated the guts from the hot stalk. Just be aware of where any shifter play is coming from. Might not be a bad thing.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I ended up snagging it. $600 + $80 tow.

Now I have to figure out how guys are mounting these 12v 5.9's. I cannot find the specific info about what guys are doing about motor mounts in FSJ's for either 4bt's or 6bt's

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Since you have the stock frame mounts I'd be trying to mod them to fit. Dodge spent some money designing them to match the motor's power and vibration.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.