Wiring advice

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Wiring advice

Post by Shagoneer »

Today I did a ton of wiring on the scout. I'm using a cheap Amazon ignition panel, since it looks cool, is cheap, and has a bunch of accesory switches on it so it'll be easier to wire lights and winches when I get to that point.

Once I was done wiring I hooked the dead scout battery to the live battery in my f150, since the scout battery is a completely toasted Walmart battery from 2009.

When I flipped the ignition switch (which activates the start button and accesory switches) everything activated like it was supposed to. But when I pushed the start button I could hear the starter relay clicking, but the starter wouldn't spin. Also the relay would only click once, not repeatedly like a dead battery normally does.

Wiring info
The first switch is wired to a distribution block which then feeds everything else.
The distribution block is wired to the coil positive terminal, the start button, and the accesory switches.
The Start button is wired to the starter relay, and then the starter.

Any one have any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
In the market for a new FSJ

SJTD

Re: Wiring advice

Post by SJTD »

If you hooked a good battery to a dead battery the good one's going to dump a lot of electrons into the dead one yielding two undercharged batteries. The starter relay won't always chatter with a weak battery.

Better to have disconnected the scout battery better yet to have swapped em.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yep. Swap them, or jump directly to the Scout's battery connections (disconnected from the dead one).
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

derf

Post by derf »

That Walmart battery has to be completely dead beyond dead. It will pull down the voltage of the other battery so low it will have trouble clicking the relay even once. Don't even bother hooking it up. Replace it with a new, good battery.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Thank you guys. I found my problem today. While the dead battery probably wasn't helping matters any, my main problem was a bad starter relay. I replaced it Nd now it cranks perfectly. Next up is the fuel system

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Gonna wire my headlights tomorrow and need some Input.
Do I
A. Use one relay for both normal and bright beams, using the 87a for normal lights and 87 for brights. This way would be quicker to set up but require two switches

Or

B. Use two relays one for each, on a 3 way switch. This way will take longer to wire, but if one of my cheap relays were to die I'd able to get home using the other.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Separate relays.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

So tomorrow I'm gonna do what I should have done in the beginning and make sure the scout motor isnt seized. I had the started going today, and I was spraying starter fluid into it, and it didnt even try to start, and the wire going to the starter from the ignition got hot enough to melt the insulation