Need help on fixing my friends car.. kinda urgent

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Need help on fixing my friends car.. kinda urgent

Post by candymancan »

So my friends 04 malibu classic has a 2.2 ecotec engine thats a complete POS burns oil like mad which seems to be common design flaw.. its coming from the intake and valve cover from an amazing design internal pcv that isnt servicable.. the air hat is coated in oil inside.

Her timing chain guide broke .. Yay for plastic in an engine........ so i had to take the valve cover timing cover off and i replaced the whole chain sprockets and new bolts ect found out the tensioner was a older faulty desigb and it stopped working so i replaced that too. i could only find 3 peices of the plastic guide though..

After it was all together i tutned it on and it was veey quiet and ran good.. But i knew i needed to drop the oil pan to find the other peices...

WHAT A NIGHTMARE this oil pan took me hours and hour and hours and hour to remove.... thanks to the entire damn subframe needing to be taken off..

After 14 hours working on this Pos GM car i finally got the oil pan back on used silicone on it.. but i was ao tired and wasnt thinking and i just realized it now in bed that i didnt put gasket maker on the oil pickup thingy.. TBH i didnt know it needed to be there..

Im used to REAL engines have a screw in sump thingy that have mesh on em and go to the bottom of the pan..

The engine ran fine sounded fine.. didnt sound oil starved.. no clacking or valve train noise.. And i love how this car has no oil pressure gauge or battery guage... Peice of junk man.. my 30 year old jeep has all of that for crying out loud.

Sorry for my rant but it shouldnt take 5
+ hours for just a oil pan alone.. because you have to drop subframes or remove engines to drop a pan.

Do i REALLY need to do this alll over again to put gasket maker around thr oil pans sump pickup.... Please tell me i dont have to do this again.. Of course im sure i have too because im thinking without the gasket itll probly be sucking up air..... but then if it was doing that wouldnt i be hesring valve train noise from oil starvation.. I mean the test drive came back finr i pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing its quieter now then before i put a new chain and tensioner on. (of course i did this before i realized the gasket)

Uhg Or do you think im okay ?

this is what the oil pan pickup looks like and the service manual says to use gasket maker on it... I didnt know that at the time.. and being sooo tired i didnt use any because i wasnt thinking it didnt even cross my mind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Re: Need help on fixing my friends car.. kinda urgent

Post by SJTD »

If you paid a guy to do it and he didn't follow the book you'd be calling him a hack and making him do it over.

Right?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

that wasnt my question but thanka

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

You have built in a gap there of a few thousandths, depending on how thick the layer of sealant was.

Who knows how much air is going through. Maybe none if the oil level is above that interface but I doubt it.

I think you should fix it right.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i decided to take it off again but like last time i couldnt get the pan all the way off.. And i wasnt about to remove the whole damn subframe like gm says... I just removed the two engine mounts and jacked the engine and trans up like 6 inches and finally the pan came off.

Guess its a good thing i forgot to put gasket maker on the oil pickup because pickup screen itself was clogged with like 20 plastic peices from the chain guide.

All fixed now lol

letank

Post by letank »

you're the man... did you get a good dinner for that outstanding work?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Omg man i got a home made pizza.. Not frozen or ordered.. home made.. And a 6 pack for it lols. She also gave me like 150$.. I didnt ask for money but i guess i did save her a thousand dollars from a shop to do the whole thing. the shop manual states 10 hours of work to do all this.. Soo 120$ an hour.. do the math..

Im on my 6th beer now as i type this haha.

The GM ecotec engine is a pos man.. The timing chains on my 4.0 abd 5.9 took maybe 3 hrs to do... Oil pan on wagoneer.. maybe 2 hrs ?