Side Project - M416 Trailer

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Side Project - M416 Trailer

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I picked up an old M416 trailer to do an expedition trailer build on, back in April I think? Drug it home from Vegas, tore it down, stripped all the 38 layers of paint off, painted it, bed lined the interior, bought a roof top tent, built a rack, painted the rack, mounted some jacks, bought a giant ass tub to secure some crud, and am getting geared up for its maiden voyage this weekend. Going to just hit up a campground so we are in a controlled environment, but definitely looking forward to getting out away from people and exploring some back country.

This is the first time i have ever fabricated anything or welded, so dont hate on my welds.

Imagetrailer1 by Marn, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

fulsizjeep

Re: Side Project - M416 Trailer

Post by fulsizjeep »

Beautiful thing! (Y)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Beautiful thing! (Y)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I like it

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Came out nice. I would make sure you have a decent amount of weight in it as ballast to counter the tent being up that high. Which I am sure you would pretty much always have camping gear in there. Do you plan on keeping the NDT tires, or going with some matching tires/wheels (with adapters I suppose) to work as spares for the waggy?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Came out nice. I would make sure you have a decent amount of weight in it as ballast to counter the tent being up that high. Which I am sure you would pretty much always have camping gear in there. Do you plan on keeping the NDT tires, or going with some matching tires/wheels (with adapters I suppose) to work as spares for the waggy?
I was actually going to mount all the weight up on top of the tent, seemed like the smartest plan. I was also going to drive wrecklessly and take really fast corners.......

Sorry. not trying to take it out on you, lol. I'm just sick of people being like "omg you're gonna tip it over and its going to crash into a bus full of nuns that will go off the road and explode and kill everybody in a 10 mile radius!!!!!!!" :banghead: I can show a dozen builds where people have it permanently mounted at annex height. Sigh.

Anyway, yes, will likely have 400-600lbs worth of junk in the bottom. Spare tire, 5-10 gallons of fuel, RTIC cooler full of food, RTIC cooler full of beer, 10-15 gallons of water, firewood, camp chairs, clothing, typical tools, stove/dining gear, propane and propane accessories, a battery, so on and so forth :-) I think it'll do just fine. I don't intent to take it on any crazy trails.

Probably going to stick with the 5x5.5 and NDT's. Jeep has its own spare, and with 6 wheels on the ground I'd want more than one spare anyway, so i'd have two, just like I do now. Maybe down the road when i ditch the wagon and get a 4runner or something I'll convert to matching bolt pattern and wheels, add a little spacer, etc. for right now, just planning to keep it stock.

I also didn't paint it to match the wagon because we just don't know what its fate will be. The wagoneer isn't the only vehicle that will pull it, so it didn't seem right to make it all matchy matchy.

I'm excited to try it out, hopefully it doesnt flip over and kill me.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

Dang fine job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

That is awesome! And you found one in good shape. I keep casually looking for one, but they all seem beat to death and folks want gold for them now.

The jacks are a great idea as well for stabilizing when set up.

A future add-on, and what i think Stuka was getting at, is the addition of a dual spare tire mount on front or back (i recommend front) of the trailer for over landing type duties. If you match the vehicle on the wheels, you have spares for both the trailer and the rig. rims are cheap, so you could change if you went Yota (older yota’s used same 6-lug pattern our latter WG’s use). I have a set of alloy rims off a yota on my YJ running late model 6-lug wagoneer axles.

Your welds look great! much better than any bead I have run in the last 10+ years..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Stuka wrote:Came out nice. I would make sure you have a decent amount of weight in it as ballast to counter the tent being up that high. Which I am sure you would pretty much always have camping gear in there. Do you plan on keeping the NDT tires, or going with some matching tires/wheels (with adapters I suppose) to work as spares for the waggy?
I was actually going to mount all the weight up on top of the tent, seemed like the smartest plan. I was also going to drive wrecklessly and take really fast corners.......

Sorry. not trying to take it out on you, lol. I'm just sick of people being like "omg you're gonna tip it over and its going to crash into a bus full of nuns that will go off the road and explode and kill everybody in a 10 mile radius!!!!!!!" :banghead: I can show a dozen builds where people have it permanently mounted at annex height. Sigh.
Sorry if it came out that way. The analytical side of me just wants to make sure people are being safe. Because the internet is full of people whom aren't. I have not yet had the chance to meet you, but I am pretty sure you don't fall into the above mentioned crowd :) But sorry if it came off as if I did.

And what I meant regarding the wheels is one space for both the truck and the trailer if they all matched. Rather than two.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I am picking up what you are putting down on the spare, but, with 6 tires on the ground I would want to bring two spares anyway. And if the jeep or a moderately lifted
Toyota are towing it, I would need to have the trailer on 33” or larger tires to match, which would be a bit too big for my taste at this time.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

"I was actually going to mount all the weight up on top of the tent, seemed like the smartest plan. I was also going to drive wrecklessly and take really fast corners......." I am digging your attitude here. Drive it like you stole it! :lol:
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

Sorry if it came out that way. The analytical side of me just wants to make sure people are being safe. Because the internet is full of people whom aren't. I have not yet had the chance to meet you, but I am pretty sure you don't fall into the above mentioned crowd :) But sorry if it came off as if I did.

And what I meant regarding the wheels is one space for both the truck and the trailer if they all matched. Rather than two.
P.S. you didnt come off a certain way, I just reacted angrily to having been asked what is apparently a logical question, and having my design thought process and skillset questioned for the umpteenth time.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

fulsizjeep wrote:"I was actually going to mount all the weight up on top of the tent, seemed like the smartest plan. I was also going to drive wrecklessly and take really fast corners......." I am digging your attitude here. Drive it like you stole it! :lol:
unfortunately, i dont think i'd get the insurance payment i'd like if i wreck either the jeep or the trailer.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
P.S. you didnt come off a certain way, I just reacted angrily to having been asked what is apparently a logical question, and having my design thought process and skillset questioned for the umpteenth time.

This is what I'm dealing with nearly daily at work. I'm one of the two best tech guys they have, and yet, idiots-who are paid more than me, sit in the A/C all day long, and know nothing of what I or the other guys have to deal with on a daily basis, think they know best and question nearly everything I do. :banghead:

I'll be so glad once we have a house built. I'm working lots of OT right now to save for it. No debt. Once that's done, I can tell them to stuff it. :evil:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

dodgerammit wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

This is what I'm dealing with nearly daily at work. I'm one of the two best tech guys they have, and yet, idiots-who are paid more than me, sit in the A/C all day long, and know nothing of what I or the other guys have to deal with on a daily basis, think they know best and question nearly everything I do. :banghead:

I'll be so glad once we have a house built. I'm working lots of OT right now to save for it. No debt. Once that's done, I can tell them to stuff it. :evil:
Oh don't get me wrong, i literally have no idea what I'm doing here. I just think I've thought it through and am not super worried about the height of the tent. I could be, and probably am, dead wrong.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I was wondering why you made it so high since there's no vehicle under it. Do you foresee filling the bed with that much stuff?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, i literally have no idea what I'm doing here. I just think I've thought it through and am not super worried about the height of the tent. I could be, and probably am, dead wrong.

I spend more time researching something new to me than actually doing the job. Makes life simpler, though.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

SJTD wrote:I was wondering why you made it so high since there's no vehicle under it. Do you foresee filling the bed with that much stuff?
Maybe it has something to do with the tent. Maybe...
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

fulsizjeep wrote:
SJTD wrote:I was wondering why you made it so high since there's no vehicle under it. Do you foresee filling the bed with that much stuff?
Maybe it has something to do with the tent. Maybe...
Nahhhhhhh, that couldnt be it at all! Dont be ridiculous!

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Looking good dude! You're very fortunate that nobody hacked off the rear panel, on mine they hacked that and the lunette. Those seem to be the 2 most common things to disappear.

Is it registered with the original serial #? One thing you may want to do if you wheel it a lot is mount the license plate on the left fender. So far nobody has given me any grief for it, even in Nevada! ;)

I've probably put about 40,000 miles on mine since I freshened it up and no issues so far. Only time it ever seems to get squirrely on me is if it is loaded too tail heavy or on a REALLY rutted road the NDT's will make the tail wag the dog.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!