Legal advice

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Legal advice

Post by Shagoneer »

Is anyone here a lawyer or have experience with business law?
I had to sign a non competition agreement when I started at me job and I’m wondering how far reaching it is.
For example we build solar powered attic fans and lights. Would it violate the agreement to make solar powered car accessories?

Second example we make and sell multilayer insulation. Would it violate the non competition agreement to start an insulation testing company? (We recently sent off a sample of a new product for test and it was $20,000 for them to tell us the r value and that it doesn’t catch fire)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the market for a new FSJ

SJTD

Re: Legal advice

Post by SJTD »

I'm not a Lawyer but I'll offer my two cents.

1 - Probably

2 - I think you aren't paying for the testing, you're paying for the Certifications the testing company has which weren't cheap to get.

You'd have to provide a copy of the agreement to anyone who would be able to give you a legitimate interpretation. Along with some money.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Non-compete agreements are completely void here in California (they were being abused by companies). But in many states are enforceable depending on how far reaching they are.

And as somebody that has made a career in testing, that $20k is covering liability as well as certs. Not to mention the equipment costs.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I'm not sure that an internet forum full of people crazy enough to devote their time and effort and money to vehicles such as FSJ's is the best place to ask legal advice.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

You need to ask your employer's HR department. Ultimately what they deem competitive is subjective, if they feel whatever you want to do is going to impede on their current market, or future market interests, they will likely say no. Otherwise, they probably won't care and will wish you well. Just be sure to get it in writing.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

We don’t really have an HR department we have the owner and his wife. When the last engineer just asked for a copy of it they started looking for reasons to can him so I’m hesitant to do it that way.

I know everyone here is crazy and not the people to normally go to for legal advice, but half the people here are in engineering or fab jobs and I thought someone may have a bit of experience in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the market for a new FSJ

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Unfortunately without seeing the agreement, even a lawyer won't be able to tell you much. Personally I feel they should be illegal in all 50 states. If a company wants to keep you as a worker, they should offer pay/benefits to make you want to stay. Not have some document that makes it quasi illegal for you to get another job. Which is why I am glad they aren't legal here in CA.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Stuka wrote:Unfortunately without seeing the agreement, even a lawyer won't be able to tell you much. Personally I feel they should be illegal in all 50 states. If a company wants to keep you as a worker, they should offer pay/benefits to make you want to stay. Not have some document that makes it quasi illegal for you to get another job. Which is why I am glad they aren't legal here in CA.
Amen to that. It should always, without question, be an employee's market, never an employer's.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Stuka wrote:Unfortunately without seeing the agreement, even a lawyer won't be able to tell you much. Personally I feel they should be illegal in all 50 states. If a company wants to keep you as a worker, they should offer pay/benefits to make you want to stay.
I agree entirely and have the same sentiments for binding arbitration agreements. If you don't want to get sued, don't break the law! In 2010 Wells Fargo illegally forclosed on me and stole my VA loan benefit. From what I've seen in the news I may finally be getting some relief, but you divide that 8 million they've set aside for the 400 people they admit they screwed, and that $20k is diddly squat compared to what they took from me. Binding arbitration, as well as all the other tort reform that's been pushed in my adult life is only meant to legalize white collar crime. :x
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:I'm not sure that an internet forum full of people crazy enough to devote their time and effort and money to vehicles such as FSJ's is the best place to ask legal advice.
Indeed. If there's significant money involved, pony up and pay for some legitimate legal advice.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.