Non-jeep Tech help needed for my 74 Ford

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: Non-jeep Tech help needed for my 74 Ford

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Out of curiosity, if you measure its resistance, what do you get? Wondering if it was starting to fail, or if its just getting too hot.

Also, this is a major advantage of moving over to a TFI coil. The oil filled ones are very susceptible to heat soak.
Yeah I’m running a TFI style coil on the Wagoneer, and it’s been good.

All I would need to do here on the ford is buy a pigtail and make a bracket to hold the TFI type coil
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Long overneeded update:

The coil fixed it, 100% drivable n all conditions now. So, good.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:So.

I got it good and hot. It started acting up. I let it soak in it’s heat for a few minutes, and got it acting up real good.

Then I switched coils to a spare I had laying around s

No more acting up. Here’s to hoping it was just that stupid Accel coil acting up when it was hot. It was too hot to hold.
My Accel coil failed like you are describing. Took it back and exchanged it for an MSD coil. You should check around for a vacuum leak, I had a split pcv hose that acted like you are describing. It wouldn't leak most of the time, but if I got the engine too hot or loaded it up against the converter the crack would open up stalling the Jeep.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Nikkormat wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:So.

I got it good and hot. It started acting up. I let it soak in it’s heat for a few minutes, and got it acting up real good.

Then I switched coils to a spare I had laying around s

No more acting up. Here’s to hoping it was just that stupid Accel coil acting up when it was hot. It was too hot to hold.
My Accel coil failed like you are describing. Took it back and exchanged it for an MSD coil. You should check around for a vacuum leak, I had a split pcv hose that acted like you are describing. It wouldn't leak most of the time, but if I got the engine too hot or loaded it up against the converter the crack would open up stalling the Jeep.
i did lots of checking for vac leaks.