A very strange night.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
toothofwar

A very strange night.

Post by toothofwar »

So, last night was movie night. My wife, kids, and myself had just finished up the 2nd movie of the night. We put the kids to bed and was settling in bed ourselves when we heard the commotion outside. I figured the neighbors dogs was terrorizing some poor wildlife again. But I noticed this time, it was right outside my bedroom window. So I drag myself out of bed again and get dressed. I step outside to see 3 dogs, 2 pit bulls and one mixed breed, literally ripping the front of my car off. I drive a 2015 Volkswagen GTI se. It only has 25k miles on it. I flipped out and chased them off. I went inside to get the phone and pistol, but the wife talked me out of shooting them. So I call the cops, and 2 hours later, they come and file a report. Unfortunately he said there isn't anything he can do about it. They attempted to contact animal control, but no one answered. Here it is the next evening and still no word from animal control. The dog owner came and got his dogs and agreed that the evidence pointed to his dogs doing it, but no hard proof so good luck. Now I'm stuck with turning it in on my insurance and out of pocket deductibles. So my question to y'all is, has anyone ever seen a pack of house dogs RIP off parts from a car? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

htfiremedic

Re: A very strange night.

Post by htfiremedic »

Pester Animal Control until they are forced to do something. Claim DNA evidence points to his dogs, I’m not joking. Canine DNA is as accurate as people DNA(yes it sounds funny). Ask the LEO folks to snoop around, and talk to the K9 owner. When I was in Police work, 1/2 of The battle was getting the suspect to admit it was their fault. Overwhelming evidence does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Probably a mouse or squirrel ran into the engine bay. Dog owner is responsible. Period. If he didn't pay up, I'd take car of the dogs like you mentioned the next time they strolled through the yard.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

44bz

Post by 44bz »

They left prints! Case closed:)

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I would have popped them, and then you would have had proof of who the dogs belonged to, to make them pay.
In the market for a new FSJ

Jonny Mac

Post by Jonny Mac »

Not to get all gross, but that plastic will come out the other end. THAT is your evidence. But then you have to get the dog poo. It'll come out a day or so later. Parts of chew toys are always in my dog's poo, I'm sure chunks of your bumper will be in theirs. I would go sifting through dog crap for whatever your deductible is. The DNA thing is not a bad idea either, but can't be cheap. Shooting them is a good way to get bullet holes in your car though. Obviously not being there I couldn't of made that call, but I can't see hitting 3 shots that quick and not have one not either go through or miss; that and getting close enough without having to worry about the dogs coming after me instead then HAVING to shoot them.
- Mac

89 Grand Wagoneer

Deployed to support the Jeep :mrgreen:

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Obviously video evidence of them in the act would have been best, cell phones are great for that. It sounds like you've talked to the owner and he has basically admitted it, but unlikely he'll sign anything official? Turn on the voice recorder on your phone, keep it in your pocket and go have a chat with him. Ask him if the dogs are ok, if the plastic they consumed has caused any intestinal distress and if he's found anything in their stool. Act like you care. ;) All he has to do is talk about finding something in their stool and he's nailed. Just be sure to get a good recording of it.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

A little update today. I spoke with the officer today and gave him an update on the situation. The owner of the dogs now has the dogs in a pin on his property. There is blood on the fender of the car and obvious cuts in the dogs mouths. The officer is checking with the local crime lab to ensure they can process animal DNA. If they are able to, then he will proceed with a warrant for the dog to be placed at the shelter and a warrant for his arrest. On a side note I spoke with my insurance company and they are going to cover 80% of my rental car while the car is being fixed. The rental car company called me and was setting up everything and mentioned that my insurance company put a 0 restriction on the account. I asked what that was and the rental car company said basically i can rent anything on the lot and they will cover 80%. So for curiosity sake , I asked what they had in stock. I know my little gti is no hot rod, but it's a sports car class. This is where I finally catch a break. They have a gt-r, 911, amg 65? (I think), and even a Tesla model s. So at least I'll have something nice to drive while my little gti is getting a face lift!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Just remember it may take a few weeks to get your car fixed. So even at 80% off, you may still have to pay a bit for a real high end car.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

This is very true. It doesn't help that I have never rented a car before. So I have no clue on prices.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe get the fancy car for a day or two then get something cheaper.

Do you get charged for returning the Tesla with dead batteries?

Might mention to the neighbor that it'll be a lot cheaper for him to pay for just the repairs rather than all the fees and court costs if you go to law over it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

SJTD wrote:Maybe get the fancy car for a day or two then get something cheaper.

Do you get charged for returning the Tesla with dead batteries?

Might mention to the neighbor that it'll be a lot cheaper for him to pay for just the repairs rather than all the fees and court costs if you go to law over it.
Amen^^^^^