So.. IFSJA is dead?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Kali

So.. IFSJA is dead?

Post by Kali »

It's been a while, but I found a thread on IFSJA that claims people migrated over here as a result of all of the board crashings. Is this the place to be these days for everything FSJ?
1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

RamJetFSJ

Re: So.. IFSJA is dead?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I still jump between the two. There’s still a ton of old great information to be found there also.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Kali wrote:It's been a while, but I found a thread on IFSJA that claims people migrated over here as a result of all of the board crashings. Is this the place to be these days for everything FSJ?
Both forums are still operating. I try to keep this forum running as well as I can. There is one current issue that drives me nuts (slow DB entries that result in duplicate posts or SQL errors), but it rarely goes down entirely unless I am doing maintenance or something. Biggest issue with IFSJA (That I know of) is every user account has to be manually approved, and it often takes weeks for that to happen.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Generally there is an expectation that due to the lack of maintenance and admin rights the IFJSA will eventually die and not be recoverable.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

basically, if you find something good on IFSJA, save on your own computer, so you can share/use later
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

will e wrote:Generally there is an expectation that due to the lack of maintenance and admin rights the IFJSA will eventually die and not be recoverable.
There are converters available to take a vBulletin database (IFSJA) and convert it to a phpBB database (FSJN). I doubt the process is either smooth or painless...and I'm not sure how merging would work (specifically with duplicated usernames). But it seems like it would be possible. There is also cms2cms.com, which is not free.

It sure would be nice to merge the two sites and have all the resources in one place :)
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Danbert

Post by Danbert »

I second finding a way to merge the two. I have most of my online stuff that is FSJ related on the other forum and would hate to see it go away. Not to mention the additional information that is there. Maybe for my own posts I can find a way to export them and save them locally.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The problem isn't just bringing the data over, it's also the site ownership. The owners of IFSJA (original and now BJs) have never been capable of doing the proper maintenance on the site themselves, and never been willing to let anyone else do it, either. The database under that site is old, near 20 years now, and I'd guess it's never had proper maintenace performed.

Now that BJs owns it (I believe they still own it?), they seem to be content to just let it sit and make them money from ad revenue. They used to be active over there, but their business has gotten so bad that people basically ran them off the forums so they don't even appear anymore.

There's also the cultural aspect. There's a lot of people that really love IFSJA and have no desire to come over here, or I would guess even merge the two. I still hit both sites, but I'll honestly say I enjoy this one more most of the time. The lack of care given to the site there (no offense to the current mods, they do everything they can), is really apparent, and really brings down the experience.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

letank

Post by letank »

Cecil14 wrote:The problem isn't just bringing the data over, it's also the site ownership. <snip>

aa

A few (many, can't recall) years ago thru the internet archive (archive.org and the wayback machine), a request was made to store ifsja data to their server, but the archival was denied by IFSJ owner.

Anthony, great reply on ifsja about the distributor vacuum advance, you beat me to it...
Michel

Topic author
Kali

Post by Kali »

Cecil14 wrote: Now that BJs owns it (I believe they still own it?), they seem to be content to just let it sit and make them money from ad revenue. They used to be active over there, but their business has gotten so bad that people basically ran them off the forums so they don't even appear anymore.
This is news to me (then again nearly everything is news to me, I was out of the IFSJA/FSJ game for nearly 8 years). I was planning on ordering several key parts from them as I was under the impression that BJs was the goto source for FSJ parts. Am I mistaken?
1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

letank

Post by letank »

Kali wrote:
Cecil14 wrote: Now that BJs owns it (I believe they still own it?), they seem to be content to just let it sit and make them money from ad revenue. They used to be active over there, but their business has gotten so bad that people basically ran them off the forums so they don't even appear anymore.
This is news to me (then again nearly everything is news to me, I was out of the IFSJA/FSJ game for nearly 8 years). I was planning on ordering several key parts from them as I was under the impression that BJs was the goto source for FSJ parts. Am I mistaken?
BJs is one of the sources, teamgrandwagoneer is the other one, but according to some there had been some issues with filling some orders in a timely manner... "There has been", I have not ordered from teamgrandwagoneer... so I cannot confirm
Michel

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I use both almost every night. It is my relaxation to see all the great stuff you all and the ones over there are doing. There some really great build threads on ifsj that I follow religiously, like Kiaserjeep’s amazing build of “Sadie”. I was on hiatus from most things FSJ for a couple of years thanks to Uncle Sam, so I missed whatever drama there was.

I have ordered from BJ’s, have not from TW. I believe BJ’s relies on vendors for much of their inventory, which can be a challenge. I have had a couple of orders delayed, and response can be slow. But they support our relatively small community, so I try to support them where I can.

I think there is only one moderator over there now, and he does try to keep it alive. I am grateful to those here and over there that give their time to keep the forums operational. I would know so very much less about these rigs if it were not for these 2 forums! Both are great communities, and you folks are amazingly helpful.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe Cecil can link some of those thread where BJ's was run off the Forum. I missed them and I'm on there daily.

Only thing I recall was a problem with a rebuilt motor a Brit bought.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

letank wrote:A few (many, can't recall) years ago thru the internet archive (archive.org and the wayback machine), a request was made to store ifsja data to their server, but the archival was denied by IFSJ owner.

Anthony, great reply on ifsja about the distributor vacuum advance, you beat me to it...
I was not aware of the archive denial, but I am not surprised either.

Thanks on the reply...it really burns me when someone like that comes into one of our pretty awesome communities. I know I look like the bad guy for saying something, but at this point in my life I really don't care anymore. Someone needs to do it.

Kali wrote:This is news to me (then again nearly everything is news to me, I was out of the IFSJA/FSJ game for nearly 8 years). I was planning on ordering several key parts from them as I was under the impression that BJs was the goto source for FSJ parts. Am I mistaken?
I personally have never had issues with BJs, though the last time I ordered from them was a long time ago. Their prices were pretty high at the time, and a lot of their stuff was really just repackaged from other places at the time. It was a convenience cost, and generally I don't mind shopping around for better deals if I can find it. What really burned me on them, personally, was shipping costs; they were cutting no deals at all on shipping at the time, it was outragious. That may have changed? I really haven't had the need to order anything from them for a long time.

I have no personal grudge against BJs, I've just seen a lot of bad press they've garnered themselves over the years. Maybe the issues were supplier based, maybe they weren't? No idea. My truck isn't much stock anymore, so I have very little reason to order from them now.

I've never ordered from TGW, no personal experience, read plenty of horror stories about their very long lead times and poor communications, though.

jpswapmohn wrote:I think there is only one moderator over there now, and he does try to keep it alive. I am grateful to those here and over there that give their time to keep the forums operational. I would know so very much less about these rigs if it were not for these 2 forums! Both are great communities, and you folks are amazingly helpful.
There are at least two mods still over there, PlasticBoob and babywag. They've certainly got my respect, that is not a gig I would want. I'm not a fan of trying to save a sinking ship. I'll enjoy it while it's there, but it really bums me out to see it left for dead as it has been.

SJTD wrote:Maybe Cecil can link some of those thread where BJ's was run off the Forum. I missed them and I'm on there daily.

I do remember that motor thread, that was a horror story. I remember a few other issues being brought up here and there vaguely, nothing I could try and link over, though. I've never seen anything officially "running them off," it's just pretty suspicious that they never bother getting on their own forum anymore. Definitely would give me a little lack of faith.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

letank

Post by letank »

SJTD wrote:Maybe Cecil can link some of those thread where BJ's was run off the Forum. I missed them and I'm on there daily.

I remember that one. But nowadays anything is made with poor quality control from any place, you need to check yourself for proper fit.

We all have water pump that do not fit, starter that fry within weeks or alternator that requires a change every 3 years, and the infamous timing gears with the misaligned oiling slot...

For the little story some of airplane turbines (Airbus or Safran) are made in China and got a 95% rejection rate many years ago, the guys at the factory had modified the specs...
Cecil14 wrote:Thanks on the reply...it really burns me when someone like that comes into one of our pretty awesome communities. I know I look like the bad guy for saying something, but at this point in my life I really don't care anymore. Someone needs to do it.
I was redacting a reply in the mid morning, which was a new post about how the old guys (me now) fixed their vehicles before the internet existed, when we used our brain then looked at the TSM for those who had the TSM which was often riddled with conflicting typos (the 74 has a big one) to solve issues that dealership could not fix... for a decent amount of money...
Michel

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

JC Jones owns ifsja. not BJ's,not ever. BJ's tried to buy or otherwise arrange ownership and JC turned them down. i'm no big bj's banner waver but i can't let the ownership mess over there be laid in their lap.

the site has not crashed in i believe,years. however it has not been updated either. it merely exists.

JC Jones has no interest in selling it,updating or otherwise. he came on back in 2014,after a long hiatus,with grand slick talk of turning it into a grand fsj forum-something we'd all heard before,blamed all the previous problems on Dome,said everyone there needed to step up (LOL),asked a bunch of questions that didn't need to be asked,would not read any of the answers,then was gone like a flash of light.

he posted twice in 2016 about generla forum issues and hasn't been back.

all the doom and uproar over the end of the forum back in the day,with the big exodus over here was really just drummed up drama. the only person in my opinion with a real legitimate gripe against that place is Tad and he seems to have let it go long ago so there's no reason to go into why. for everyone else it was a free forum,just like this one. nobody is owed a thing.

what wille posted above is a very plausible scenario.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Ristow wrote:JC Jones owns ifsja. not BJ's,not ever. BJ's tried to buy or otherwise arrange ownership and JC turned them down. i'm no big bj's banner waver but i can't let the ownership mess over there be laid in their lap.

the site has not crashed in i believe,years. however it has not been updated either. it merely exists.

JC Jones has no interest in selling it,updating or otherwise. he came on back in 2014,after a long hiatus,with grand slick talk of turning it into a grand fsj forum-something we'd all heard before,blamed all the previous problems on Dome,said everyone there needed to step up (LOL),asked a bunch of questions that didn't need to be asked,would not read any of the answers,then was gone like a flash of light.

he posted twice in 2016 about generla forum issues and hasn't been back.

all the doom and uproar over the end of the forum back in the day,with the big exodus over here was really just drummed up drama. the only person in my opinion with a real legitimate gripe against that place is Tad and he seems to have let it go long ago so there's no reason to go into why. for everyone else it was a free forum,just like this one. nobody is owed a thing.

what wille posted above is a very plausible scenario.
Thanks for the clarification on ownership. It doesn't really make much difference, the situation stands pretty much the same either way, but good to have the facts.

I really have no issues with either place, I hang out at both, and there is plenty of good info to be had everywhere. It would be nice if there were a bit more actual *ownership* from the ownership, though. :)

aa

edit: spelling
Last edited by Cecil14 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don S

Post by Don S »

That's guys! May the beating of a dead horse subside.

I do owe thanks to Stuka..
Thanks Stula.. Don S..

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

2nd Day

Post by 2nd Day »

Wow suprised to see this. Old post I know.

I've also been out of the FSJ game for about 15 years and back now.

I'm leaning hard on IFSJA and this forum and appreciate all everyones doing.

For me its not about the site, its about the people as it always has been and always will be. We started the ECI in 2003. via IFSJA and its still going thanks to the CFSJC crew.

Hope both stay up!

Thanks for keeping things up here Stuka!

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

Currently Jeepless (Previously 78 Cherokee WT-2 each, and 79 Waggy, 94 XJ)
Co-Founder of the East Coast Invasion
I live In Virginia :roll: