Got my FSJ a friend.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Got my FSJ a friend.

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Nothing special, and nothing FSJ related (except using a hand full of the same parts).

Picked up this exceptionally straight 1974 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special from a buddy. Literally one ding in the bed side, and two small dings in the tailgate. Interior needs help, but I can take care of that. I'm blown away by how clean the body is!

390/C6 2 wheel drive. Thing runs great. Steering is pretty wonky, but I'll take care of that. Ordering new tires today, and then it'll be registered and on the road!

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Got my FSJ a friend.

Post by Stuka »

Nice truck! My dad owns a '77 F150 Ranger Trailer Special with a 460. Great truck.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Sweet ride. It's crazy you found something with the bed in good condition. Back in those days trucks were, well, trucks.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Beautiful truck! I love those almost as much as the FSJ. That's a canidate to be Dropped with a Ecco Boost crate motor 8-)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Nice find. My dad had a 69 with the same 390/c6. Fun truck to drive.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Cool find! :-bd
When I was a kid, my best friend's dad had a 2wd 68 F250 Ranger with 390/C6. It was a tough truck and could tow all day long.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Hey thats a nice truck!!! Grats! You are right it is really clean... :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

This era Ford truck is very durable. Great purchase if you need a pickup for your chores. The 390 will be thirsty. It'll haul a slide-in camper very well.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

These trucks were and still are tough :) Nice find :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

In my mind, ford stopped making trucks after 1979.
That one looks very clean and surprisingly good shape for it's age. Gotta love old iron.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

JeepsAndGuns wrote:In my mind, ford stopped making trucks after 1979.
That one looks very clean and surprisingly good shape for it's age. Gotta love old iron.
Yep the older stuff was made to last..which is why we have our Jeeps :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

will e wrote:Sweet ride. It's crazy you found something with the bed in good condition. Back in those days trucks were, well, trucks.
No kidding right? I was blown away that the bed rails weren’t all dented and smashed. He had a few landscape laborers driving it for about a year when he owned his own company too and it made it through with no real damage lol!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

A most excellent find!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Man, this thing is kind of making me hate the wagoneer. Runs so damn well, parts are available, its comfortable, cruises down the highway with no hesitation...

Everything except the AC works....

Did i mention you can actually find parts for it? Every piece of trim...every body clip...

letank

Post by letank »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Man, this thing is kind of making me hate the wagoneer. Runs so damn well, parts are available, its comfortable, cruises down the highway with no hesitation...

Did i mention you can actually find parts for it? Every piece of trim...every body clip...
We know, I helped a neighbor with an old suburban, as you said, you can find fenders, inner fenders, and what not for the burb...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Jonny Mac

Post by Jonny Mac »

I literally sold almost the same truck to GET my wagoneer. Too funny
- Mac

89 Grand Wagoneer

Deployed to support the Jeep :mrgreen:

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

letank wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:Man, this thing is kind of making me hate the wagoneer. Runs so damn well, parts are available, its comfortable, cruises down the highway with no hesitation...

We know, I helped a neighbor with an old suburban, as you said, you can find fenders, inner fenders, and what not for the burb...
Thats the part that is blowing my mind. Im just like "oh man i need this little piece its never gonna be avail......wait a SEC! LMC has it? Dennis Carpenter has it?!!!? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigun

Post by bigun »

On my $400 68 camper special after rebuilding the motor. I had the tie rod fall out after an 800 mile trip from Alb. to Tehachapi CA with an 8 foot cab over camper ( truck shook everytime I got over 60 MPH). Replaced them all of them. Next job was in AZ, had the king pins and center bushing replaced. Mechanic said it was a good thing it had kingpins because if it had, had ball joints it would have left me sitting on the side of the road. Had multiple trips after including one to Florida where I came back with the camper and a 26 foot travel trailer (Word to the wise don't buy a travel trailer that has spent a long time in Florida) Burned up the valves that time dang unleaded gas.
Did the kid thing of replacing the two barrel with a 4 and a Performer RPM intake could never get it to get out of it's own way after that. The killer was when the rag joint let go as I was turning left ended up on an embankment with gas pouring out of the seat tank. A guy pulled me off and AS I headed down the road pushing down on the wheel to keep it engaged I heard the traffic reporter giving the intersection out as a roll over accident with fuel spill I waved at the firetrucks as they went by the other way! I used some 1/4 20 bolts to hold it together till I finally parked it. We called it the Behemoth because I got it after I totaled a Samurai I called the Runt on black ice in Meeker CO, but that is a story for anther time. Oh mine was originally bought in New York state and ordered with a tow package so it had disc brakes something I was told only came on 1 tons at the time.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:...

Thats the part that is blowing my mind. Im just like "oh man i need this little piece its never gonna be avail......wait a SEC! LMC has it? Dennis Carpenter has it?!!!? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ford's domestic light truck production has been around a million units annually for ... a long time. Our Jeeps are oddballs and production was maybe 50x-100x less than Ford pickups?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

P.S. its not actually making me hate my jeep (I already hated it right?.....just kidding). ITs just a super interesting juxtaposition of two vehicles from a precisely similar time period.

I still, to this day, get a bit nervous driving the jeep some places.

After having owned the truck for a week and having driven it maybe 15 miles, i drove it to work and then down to carson city and back to get a new seat. Proabbly an 80 mile day, lol.