Passenger’s side air bag?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
66stepside

Passenger’s side air bag?

Post by 66stepside »

Random weird question.

Is it safe to ship an air bag? It’s from an 01 Chevy, passenger’s side.

After seeing the 95 air bag deploy after the Jeep was stripped of everything, I am wondering if they are safe to ship.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Passenger’s side air bag?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'd suggest contacting the shipping agent for verification. It may not only be dangerous but perhaps even illegal? They will have the most accurate and up to date information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Ordnance is shipped with a shorting plug or RF cap. At least that's been my experience in the rocket bidness.

I'd not be surprised if no shipper will touch it if they know what it is.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, this is kinda what I thought. I guess it’s a question of trying to dispose of it properly.

Thank you both.

babywag

Post by babywag »

While people do it all the time, it is DANGEROUS.
I believe(and may be wrong), that they're classified as hazardous material, and must be packaged by someone trained with shipping hazmat materials.

If it deploys, and it isn't packaged properly, I'd venture a guess the shipping co. would NOT be happy and may come after you?
I'd only sell local on CL or whatever, or do local pickup only.

Working in the autobody industry I've seen them deploy, and have deployed them(on purpose) they have an incredible amount of energy.
I sure wouldn't wanna be responsible for hurting someone by accident w/ one, or be on the receiving end of one.

I'd bet any salvage yard would take it from you, if you just want to get rid of it.
If you wanna have some fun, deploy the thing it's a blast, just be SAFE!!
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, if I were just trying to get rid of it I'd set it off.

Maybe put it under a chair and launch your buddy. Make sure to record it so you can be on TV.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

derf

Post by derf »

Instead of shipping, why now buy your passenger side airbag their own ticket... :P

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Curious why somebody would be trying to buy a used airbag. And by used, I mean out of another vehicle, not deployed. No shop will install use a used airbag unless they are willing to bend regulations. One of the reasons a car tends to get totaled out if the airbags deploy is because of the cost associated with replacing the system. The older systems that trigger the airbags are a one time use device as I recall. It has to be replaced as well if the airbags are deployed. Newer cars use accelerometers and so this is not the case.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ