Trouble here...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
HowardT64

Trouble here...

Post by HowardT64 »

I logged on today to find the site spammed by a Netflix advert in Russian. Perhaps we should make this a closed group for a while? Or at least limit who can post?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

dodgerammit

Re: Trouble here...

Post by dodgerammit »

HowardT64 wrote:I logged on today to find the site spammed by a Netflix advert in Russian. Perhaps we should make this a closed group for a while? Or at least limit who can post?
Agreed. It is getting nuts.

Maybe have a series of basic questions concerning Grand Wagoneers/ J trucks in addition to a security question.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I thought new members had to be approved by the Admin. What more do you want?

I'd think a bunch of garbage in the title would be enough warning for one not to bother looking at the thread much less trying any links.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

SJTD wrote:I thought new members had to be approved by the Admin. What more do you want?

I'd think a bunch of garbage in the title would be enough warning for one not to bother looking at the thread much less trying any links.
Of course.

Why would you click on a thread title in cyrillic?

Stuka has been diligent in clearing out these spam posts when they appear. I'm sure he will take action if things get out of hand. The forum has to strike a balance between making enrollment so difficult that no one enrolls, and so easy that the door is left open for spammers.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Idunno nutin about how a forum is run but seems to me some kind of limit on how many posts a new member could make in a certain time limit could be built in?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

All you guys need to do is report the post. I get an email and clear them as soon as I have time.

The current spam bot countermeasures keep the vast majority of them out. But they are always getting smarter, and sometimes it’s a real person actually doing in.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Trouble here...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Stuka has the worst job I know of and does an excellent job of trying to combat the scum of the internet. I don't understand enough of the workings and am ever grateful to MODs who do what they do to help us enjoy our forum time.
@Stuka:Is there an easier way to nip a spammer in the bud instead of leaving it to an email? How about a report button in all threads? Maybe it would allow all us users to spot it, freeze it, and give you time to clean it up?? Not sure if that's possible or even a good idea. Just trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Every post has a report button. When you click that, I get an email sent to me automatically, as well as a notification when I login to the forum. If you look you will see a ! symbol on a button if the upper right of each post. Thats the report button.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:Every post has a report button. When you click that, I get an email sent to me automatically, as well as a notification when I login to the forum. If you look you will see a hazard symbol on a button if the upper right of each post. Thats the report button.
I don't believe there is one for us who use Tapatalk. If there is... I can't find it. Image

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote:Every post has a report button. When you click that, I get an email sent to me automatically, as well as a notification when I login to the forum. If you look you will see a hazard symbol on a button if the upper right of each post. Thats the report button.

Gotcha. I had to scan across the page to find it. It is an exclamation icon in the top right corner. :-bd

They seem to hit early in the morning. Stupid Russians. Always trying to meddle..... :mrgreen:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:

Gotcha. I had to scan across the page to find it. It is an exclamation icon in the top right corner. :-bd

They seem to hit early in the morning. Stupid Russians. Always trying to meddle..... :mrgreen:
Lol! I see what you did there. Image

bigun

Post by bigun »

Stuka wrote:All you guys need to do is report the post. I get an email and clear them as soon as I have time.

The current spam bot countermeasures keep the vast majority of them out. But they are always getting smarter, and sometimes it’s a real person actually doing in.
I finally gave up this morning there were just to many of them coach :cry:

tedlovesjeeps71

bigun wrote:
Stuka wrote:All you guys need to do is report the post. I get an email and clear them as soon as I have time.

I finally gave up this morning there were just to many of them coach :cry:
That's another aspect that infuriates me. Not only do they hack(?) And spam but they do it with a broad, overwhelming brush. I've seen on Tapatalk notifications where there was a new reply to almost every post. All of them the same spam message. There's a special place in hell for those people.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I use tapatalk to post pics.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I was not trying to start trouble, just wanted to help out. I saw a huge amount of spam this time...so much I would have spent a lot of time reporting ( pressing report). Sorry if I messed things up ....
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

If I can help id like to offer my services, I have run boards before...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You didn't mess anything up. If all the post are by the same person, you only need to report one of them. Which I ban the user, I also delete all of their posts at the same time.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I am on here quite a lot, if it gets too hectic, I could lend a hand with the spam posts...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BTW: Please don't comment on the spam posts. I have to manually delete those :) Its just a check box to delete all posts by the banned user.
2017 JKU Rubicon

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Thought it might be helpful so you didn't get too many emails about the same post. Guess not. :)
Sic friatur crustulum