Job dilema

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Job dilema

Post by Shagoneer »

I recently left my job at the high school due to office politics driving me crazy.
Afer a bunch of interviews I have two job offers right now, and I'm on the fence as to which I should take.

The first job I'd make almost 50k including overtime, but t's managing a restaurant which I HATE doing, but I'm good at. This job would also involve driving 11 hours a week in my f150 that etc 13 MPG, which would eat about 7K worth of that salary. However it would involve working 50 hours a week with nights and weekends.

The other job offer I'd make 35K, but I'd be working as a design engineer helping run the R&D division of a solar power company. I'd answer directly to the owner of the company. Only occasional weekends when testing, and unless im stuck finishing something I'd be off at 5 everyday. This job would give me a matched 401K, growth opportunity, and is 5 minutes from my house.

So do I take the job I'd hate that would pay me more and I'd be good at, or do I take the job where I'd be happier, making less, where I'm unsure how well I would do.
In the market for a new FSJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Job dilema

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Take the job that makes you happy and has growth potential. If it doesn't work out you can find a restaurant gig much easier.
Just my thought but what do I know. I'm still "working" at a job that owes me back pay and I'll never see. I need to find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanker

Post by Tanker »

Dad all ways told me do something you love and time will fly. Added that to the fact your doctor will see less of you. When the checks bounce you bounce out. My boss paid cash always plus the fringe benefits were great. At times a jerk but if you look pass that an understand why he was a ass your good. He was quad paraplegic with full time nurse. I miss working.
Jakes Full Size Jeep Junkyard
Hire the handicap there fun to watch. IR1

will e

Post by will e »

Taxes eat a bit of the difference as well. Assuming you are single:

Restaurant job, 50K - 7K for driving - 4370 for federal taxes = $38630
Cool Job 35K - 0 driving (and if you are broken down you can still walk to work) - 2570 federal taxes = $32430

So about $6200 difference. About $516 a month. You could make up the difference by finding a part time job to supplement you income.

I'd go with the cool job.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

And you could ride a bike to work and save more. Also extra drive time cuts your effective hourly rate and I'm guessing you won't get overtime in the restaurant job?

I'd go for the engineering job.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Engineering job. I used to do restaurants. They suck.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Engineering will provide future opportunities and greater earnings than the Resturaunt manager job. Plus, you hate managing resturaunts.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have a cousin who was an English teacher who quit to become a lawyer

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Shagoneer wrote: The other job offer I'd make 35K, but I'd be working as a design engineer helping run the R&D division of a solar power company. I'd answer directly to the owner of the company. Only occasional weekends when testing, and unless im stuck finishing something I'd be off at 5 everyday. This job would give me a matched 401K, growth opportunity, and is 5 minutes from my house.
Tell me more about this design engineer job. (roles and responsibilities) Right now, it seems like a no brainer. Engineering salaries are high. If this is a learner position, that will give you legit electrical or mechanical engineering skills and experience, you can easily use this as a stepping stone to make 2 or 3 times that salary.

FWIW, I worked in a specific field for 8 years and came to a cross roads like you. I chose to take a chance and try my hand in a new field. The learning curve was intense at first. But now, I have some skills and experience that is in demand. My salary has dramatically increased and my salary potential has increased even more.

If the solar engineering job can offer building skills similar to my recent experience, it's well worth the gamble.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Lumpskie wrote:
Shagoneer wrote: The other job offer I'd make 35K, but I'd be working as a design engineer helping run the R&D division of a solar power company. I'd answer directly to the owner of the company. Only occasional weekends when testing, and unless im stuck finishing something I'd be off at 5 everyday. This job would give me a matched 401K, growth opportunity, and is 5 minutes from my house.
Tell me more about this design engineer job. (roles and responsibilities) Right now, it seems like a no brainer. Engineering salaries are high. If this is a learner position, that will give you legit electrical or mechanical engineering skills and experience, you can easily use this as a stepping stone to make 2 or 3 times that salary.

FWIW, I worked in a specific field for 8 years and came to a cross roads like you. I chose to take a chance and try my hand in a new field. The learning curve was intense at first. But now, I have some skills and experience that is in demand. My salary has dramatically increased and my salary potential has increased even more.

If the solar engineering job can offer building skills similar to my recent experience, it's well worth the gamble.

As explained to me by the owner of the company I'd be in charge of special projects, that his main engineers don't have time for. These projects are mostly random ideas he thought of and jotted down at some point that I would be in charge of turning into reality.

So I would be given a giant binder with his random ideas, and I could flip through it, pick one, design it, have a fab guy build it, test it, and let him know if it's a feasable/marketable project to start producing on a larger scale.

While he other engineers there work in teams I would be working on my own, I would have my own office, my own AWESOME computer, my own white board in y office for brain storming, I would have my own fab guy who's entire job is to build whatever I hand him, I would only answer to the owners none of the other engineers or project managers, and if there's any materials or tools I want and or need for a project I just tell the owner and he'll submit an order.

He's already told me two of the projects he would like me to start with. One is designing a radon filtration system for homes that runs off of the companies solar panels. The other is bullet proof storm doors/front doors that look pretty.

I know this is an awesome opportunity given that I never finished my degree.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I don't have my own office... I say go for it!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Sounds like a lousy job. Give me the guys name and number. I'd like to call him and tell him what I think about tempting guys away from restaurant jobs.

Is it still an option. Been almost two weeks.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Yeah it’s still on the table, the owner went to China for a couple weeks. I talked to him Friday and he said he still wants me

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I signed all of my paperwork today and will start work Monday.
During my meeting with the owner today he told me he wants to pay for me to go back to school part time. At another point during my meeting I asked him if a bought a laptop capable of running solidworks if should load the program on it for me to work after hours and on days I'd be sick/out of town. He responded that he would go buy me a nice laptop in a couple weeks when he had time. This is in addition to the awesome desktop I'll have in my office.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Good luck

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Id go for the Job that produces less stress.. which sounds like the solar panel job to me... BUT can you take the income hit ? If you can.. then yea id deff do that one...
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

After I left the army I got a gig similar to the solar job. I designed and estimated CCTV/Access Control/Fire systems. There was some stress (Because I am anal about details) but I worked alone and had full access to the company's resources. I really liked the job and wish they hadn't gone under. I am with the others and think the solar job is the way to go.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

How was your first week?
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I didn’t know I could physically be this tired. They’ve had me working on the assembly line the last couple weeks so I can get an idea of what the company does, and see where improvements could be made in the process.

will e

Post by will e »

Shagoneer wrote:I didn’t know I could physically be this tired. They’ve had me working on the assembly line the last couple weeks so I can get an idea of what the company does, and see where improvements could be made in the process.
One of the rules at Toyota is you are not allowed to suggest improvements to a process until you have mastered the standard way of performing the task (standard work).

The assembly line experience will be good for ya.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge